Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2015, 04:01   #1

Salvaging a boat

Hello all,

I have had the unfortunate experience of running my Nonsuch 36 aground. It's a total loss according to the insurance company, and will cost much more than what it is worth to fix. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction on what to do with the boat now, it's currently in St. Augustine, FL., and all I am doing is paying monthly storage on a boat I can no longer sail. Are there Salvage companies that will dispose of the boat, or part it out then dispose of it? Anyone in the NE Florida area that has some company suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jason
DutchAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 04:19   #2

Boat: Owner Builder
Re: Salvaging a boat

I have only seen one boat salvaged.
The owner removed anything of value ie. they could
use or sell then the insurance co brought in an excavator
& truck smashed it up & loaded onto truck then take to
the tip.
Sorry for your loss but the sooner it goes the
cheaper your costs.
BriaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 12:11   #3

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchAW View Post
Hello all,

I have had the unfortunate experience of running my Nonsuch 36 aground. It's a total loss according to the insurance company, and will cost much more than what it is worth to fix. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction on what to do with the boat now, it's currently in St. Augustine, FL., and all I am doing is paying monthly storage on a boat I can no longer sail. Are there Salvage companies that will dispose of the boat, or part it out then dispose of it? Anyone in the NE Florida area that has some company suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jason
I would have thought your insurance company would have taken care of that for you. Why not ask them?

Other than that, call the towing companies and ask. They should know and might take care of it for a fee.

Many people would just tow it out somewhere, grind the HIN off and set it adrift. Or sink it. Let's hope you are not one of these despicable people.
Old 20-02-2015, 12:12   #4

I helped a friend take a scrapped boat to a scrapyard, that took the whole boat for the lead keel.
Old 20-02-2015, 12:15   #5

Boat: 44 footer

Did it sink, or was the hull damaged beyond repair?

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 16:29   #6

It didn't sink, but with the hull damage and interior water damage, it was totaled. The reason the insurance company didn't take care of it is.....apparently marine insurance only salvages boats in states which require it, Florida does not, so they paid off the policy and i have the boat still. She is a fairly large 36fter, so it's not something easy to dispose of. The mast alone is 63' above the waterline.
Old 20-02-2015, 20:07   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

You may be able to sell the boat as is. There are people who will attempt to rebuild boats that aren't totally trashed. Someone with physical skills can do wonders with fiberglass and wood. Then again it may turn into somebody else hole in the water but it will at least not be yours. I'd put an ad on Ebay and in the local Craig's List to see if you can find someone who will take it off your hands.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 20:42   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I would suggest trying to sell it, at least briefly. This is a pretty classic boat, and if a repair yard can get ahold of it they likely can fix it for below market value and flip it.

Off hand I would try getting in touch with Par Riccelli in Eustis Fl. I know he has taken on this type of job in the past, and if not him then someone may be interested. The Nonsuch is just too much of a cult classic to junk without trying.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 20:54   #9
cruiser

While fiberglass is inert and non-toxic to the environment and is a suitable artificial reef (Florida currently has 22 fiberglass recreational boats sunk in the artificial reef program) you would have to remove all hazardous chemicals, the engine, fuel tanks and anti-foul paint from the bottom prior to sinking it. You would also have to tow it to waters with a depth deep enough that a storm would not cause it to lift. Also you would not want it to be near a natural reef. In reality its easier and cheaper to strip it for all metals and other recycles and have a dozer crush the hull into scrap.
Crosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 22:41   #10

Boat: Bristol 29

you might talk to monkey foot in green cove springs - they salvage boats. You might also talk to Sailors Exchange in St Augustine and see what they have to say.
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 06:05   #11

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
You may be able to sell the boat as is. There are people who will attempt to rebuild boats that aren't totally trashed. Someone with physical skills can do wonders with fiberglass and wood. Then again it may turn into somebody else hole in the water but it will at least not be yours. I'd put an ad on Ebay and in the local Craig's List to see if you can find someone who will take it off your hands.
Yes, somebody else's money pit. Or, someone will take it off your hands, tow it away and anchor it and live on it until it sinks.
Old 21-02-2015, 06:28   #12

My friend bought the boat we salvaged, just for the hardware on it to put on his boat. It was an older 25 footer that the owner had become so desperate, and so tired of paying slip fees that he put it for sale for $350.

My friend looked it, decided the winches and blocks on it alone were worth more than that and bought it from him. We used the yacht club crane to put it on a fifth wheel trailer I had and we towed it to a vacant lot he had where he stripped it. We then drove it to the scrapyard, hoping to get a little money for it, but having to settle for the yard taking it for the lead in it and paying nothing.

What made it work for him, as having a place to put it while he stripped it, use of a free crane to pull it out of the water,k and having someone with a big trailer and one ton truck (me) to haul it around.
Old 21-02-2015, 07:17   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Wouldn't happen to have a Sparcraft S1060 mast would it???
: whistling:

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 01:53   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Wouldn't happen to have a Sparcraft S1060 mast would it???
: whistling:
Not sure which mast it has. I'm assuming it's the original Nonsuch mast.