Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 10:15   #16

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
Re: Sale of 'Latitudes and Attitudes' Magazine

Dang, you are a tough crowd.

I did not read or even look at the magazine but I liked his TV shows. I would say he understood that sex sells. The shows were as good or better than 99% of the crap I see now on cable. I met with him at Philly boat show and was a great guy in my opinion.

Also, there are enough free sailing magazines that I see no reason to actually subscribe and I do not take off points for grammar either. ( please check my grammar, I think there is dangling past participle).
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:22   #17
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

It gives me the shudders whenever they say "kewl". But I like the pics from the readers, and sometimes neat gear is advertised in the back.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:29   #18

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I've searched my brain and I can't think of a single thing that I don't like about scantily clad women on bowsprits. I even bought a boat with a bowsprit in the hopes that part of my personality or physique would change enough to enable me to convince women to become scantily clad on my bowsprit.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:13   #19

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
No, you're not alone. I haven't picked up a copy in years, but the last time I did, the atrocious grammar gave me heartburn.
Also not alone. I never "got" that magazine. It was like "AARP Afloat" for me. If there's two songs I never care to hear again, it's Hotel California and Margaritaville. Lats and Atts seemed to be the paper equivalent for old boozers at anchor. If I wanted an amateurish effort that nonetheless had actual useful information, I would buy Good Old Boat. I'm trying to build a life at sea here, not a "lifestyle".

So I wish the enriched iconoclast well, but what I've read of his work, he seemed neither radical nor particularly compelling.

Man, I'm a little cranky today.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:26   #20

Boat: Pearson 281

Interesting... Lats and Ats published my (as yet) first article (and writing paycheck) and I always felt they offered great access for first time publishing writers. My favorite thing about them was the popular focus... not only an access point for writers but one for inspiring new and wannabe sailors. I hope the new owners maintain this quality and resist the temptation to aim for a more "sophisticated" sailing crowd. I also appreciate that unlike Lat 38 they mostly stayed away from political editorializing/commentary.
Glad to hear that Bob and Jodi are doing well. I was afeared they'd gotten in over their head with the Shannon, as beautiful and useful as that boat is. Always thought they should have stayed traditional and for somewhat easier money gotten into a nice old schooner. They've always been able to get the crew for it.
Best wishes to both of them as well as Woody, Tania and the rest of the crew.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:56   #21

Boat: Wharram custom 44'

A few years ago I had shoulder replacement surgery and had to do rehab which required about 10 minutes of heat at the start and 10 minutes of ice at the end. While sitting around I would read whatever magazines they had there and one was Lats and Atts. Then I found their website, then I found an archive with about 70 issues. I was home rehabilitating, so I had the time to download the whole shootin match. I selected some issues to read about cruising destinations, others for boat reviews, and ended up reading a lot more and learned from others experiences. Later they started charging for the online issues, so I ante'd up and still read it. Also Carribean Compass. I felt that although Bob had a large portion of the mag as a catalog to sell stuff, most of the articles and stories were not commercial, like some of the slicker magazines. I think of him as a cruising activist, probably doing more than most to introduce and assist newbies into cruising. Live the Dream.
kaimusailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:57   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka View Post
Actually, I agree with you. The humour was tired, the grammar not quite Strunk & White, and the bikinis were there to gloss that over. But I've a certain fondness for a slightly tattered yachting magazine. It's a humorous alternative to the mainstream publications. Of which there are plenty.

A bit like a blog, I suppose.
Fair enough. We've got "The Log" down here and Lat' 38 which is pretty down to earth. Good Old Boat is another down to earth publication I really like, all of which have information that I actually get real use out of. Lats/Atts just seemed to have a lot of attitude and not a lot of pertinent information.

Again, not in anyway disparaging the people who put it together. From what I've read the guy sounds nice as hell.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 13:11   #23

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Am I the only person who doesn't like that magazine? Not knocking the people behind it by any means, but in general I always roll my eyes a bit at the "scantily clad woman on the bowsprit" shots.

I guess there are a lot of different types of people out there. Just had no idea it was *that* popular.
No...I'm with you on this one. When I was in my 20's and a biker scondral, I use to read Easy rider magazine. That was his before this one. I grew out of that behavior but he never did. He knows what sells. To each their own. I'm a Latitude 38 fan.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 13:40   #24

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 400

Quote:
Am I the only person who doesn't like that magazine? Not knocking the people behind it by any means, but in general I always roll my eyes a bit at the "scantily clad woman on the bowsprit" shots.

I guess there are a lot of different types of people out there. Just had no idea it was *that* popular.

No, you are not alone!!
KatKokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 14:06   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:

Nope. Me too. We subscribed for a year, but I really couldn't stand so much of it: Tania's writing (it hasn't improved since she wrote about going around the world in high school), the blatant self promotion in the TONS of ads for their "stuff", and the haphazard way the magazine seemed to be organized. That, and it is nearly 3X as much as Cruising World, a far superior magazine. On the plus side, the bikini photos weren't at all bad.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 14:16   #26

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I find it somewhat astonishing that someone would buy an (alleged) cruising magazine because it had bikini-clad women depicted. If T&A is what you want, there are far better sources. If sailing info is what you want, the same is true!

I surely wouldn't miss Lats and Atts if it simply disappeared.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 06-12-2011, 14:25   #27

Man, I have not heard this much back biting since highschool. Hope the haters enjoy their pricey wines while listening to opera at the members only yacht club. I'll drink my Mexican beer in the low rent district while listening to Margaritaville thank you very much. I for one will miss Bob.
CoastalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 14:31   #28

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

I was never a fan either. " Coolies" and "broads" seem to be the order of the day with the mag. The use of the word "kewl" even to admonishing folks who "spell it wrong!" (cool) The lack of any editing and content oversight by their own employee- writers, even as they tout their "mis-spelled" editor. They did have a political and eviromental agenda, I'm surprised that someone here said they didn't see it. It was too much "look how much fun we have and how much stuff we have access to in the way of goods and services for free!!!" I haven't bothered to give them any of my money for several years. Unfortunately, I read where they will still allow Bob to do his editorials and be a editor emeritus for the mag. So I guess not much will change after all.
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 14:32   #29

Boat: Morgan 382 - 38' 4"

As a wanna be cruiser, I find L and A one of the best magazines with many real cruisers contributing their personal stories in every issue. I don't read all of it but I find most of it very entertaining. I hope it doesn't change.
TFrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 14:42   #30

Some people need to scan their postings on this thread. They might be surprised how elitist they sound.
CoastalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale