Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	127570  
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 12:01   #17

Boat: Leopard 42 Catamaran
Re: Sailing Intinerary Norfolk to Capemay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
Norfolk to Reedville day 1. Reedville to Annapolis day 2. Annapolis to the canal day 3. Time the canal and Delaware Bay to Cape May Day 4.
This is a great option from "The Office" in lieu of coastal. You will need to check currents in the Delaware Bay. We've done Annapolis to Cape May and beyond in a monohull, so unsure if issues going thru Cape May canal with a cat. If time permits The Chesapeake Bay offers many great anchorages and marinas...been sailing this area since the 80's. Feel free to PM me with specific questions.
Luftmeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 20:08   #18

Re: Sailing Intinerary Norfolk to Capemay

Thank you all for your help and advice. I took all of your comments into consideration and it helped us make a successful and enjoyable trip. (made the trip with my wife and our 10 month old daughter)

The itinerary was:
Day 1 – Cobb’s Marina, Norfolk VA. Cobb’s was great. They painted the bottom and serviced the engine. Great people and great service. (We were originally planning on going to Cape Charles on Day 2 but had big thunder storms so we spent an additional day at Cobb’s)

Day 2 – Windmill Point Marina, Whitestone VA.– great stop. Nice facility, lots of slips available and nice restaurant and pool.

Day3 – Spring Cove Marina, Solomon’s Island VA- Nice facility
Day 4 – Annapolis Landing Marina – Annapolis was a very busy place with lots of sailboats / boats and tightly packed dock space.
Day 5 – Bohemia Vista Marina, Chesapeake City Delaware. Nice Marina, a little bit out of the way and very shallow approach up the Bohemia River, (if we did it again we would probably stay at a Marina further up the C&D Canal – just for logistics)
Day 6 – Hancock Harbor Marina, Greenville NJ – We had to call an audible on this one. I thought we would make in all the way to Cape May in one day and realized we would not make it. Checked the chart plotter and internet on our phones. Called and made our reservation while sailing out in the Delaware. This was one of our favorite stops. Quaint marina and nice modern restaurant.
Day 7 – Utsch’s Marina . Cape May NJ - A Great Stop. We did see several boats anchored in front of the Coast Guard station, This would not be a bad option if you did not want to pay for or stay at a marina
Day 8 – Up the coast and in the Little Egg Harbor Inlet. From there to our home in West Creek NJ. Originally planned on coming in the Absecon Inlet, but weather and seas were in our favor so we continued up to Little Egg.
(Just a side note – We were only traveling in daylight and made about 50 miles per day. My good friend met us in Greenville and My wife and daughter got off the boat for the trip outside, so last 2 days my wife and daughter were home safe and not out in the Atlantic Ocean)

For anyone else considering this trip, it would be a better 2 week trip. We basically motored/ sailed all day and did not have enough time to thoroughly enjoy each stop. We did get the boat home and it was a very memorable time
Thank you all for your help and insight.
Amelia Irene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing