Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2015, 09:19   #16

Boat: Albin Vega 27'
Re: SAE or Metric???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Virtually all of the wood screws are square drive.
Aaah, someone had the good sense to use Robertson head screws. Another great invention.

And yes visegrips, (the orignal brand only) do have their place, I have five or six sets.

Great for clamping objects to be welded, really rusted fasteners, some pipe and practialy the only tool I use on rusted brake line fittings.
Old 21-03-2015, 09:36   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn.225 View Post
Aaah, someone had the good sense to use Robertson head screws. Another great invention.

Technologically, Robertson heads are great. Not having a driver that matches handy...not so great and that has always been the big downside. Almost no one uses them.

We don't have them on the boat but we finally went out and bought a couple for the 5th wheel.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 16:05   #18

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
If you go with metric wrenches, make sure you get a metric socket drive to go with it. Or were you planning to use a 25mm socket on a 3/8 INCH drive?
Actually, Canibul, all of the metric Facom socket drives I have in France (and I've got just about all of them) were sized in fractions of an inch (1/4, 3/8, 1/2 et 3/4 pouce). Moving back to the States, one of my first stops was at Harbor Freight to buy a cheap SAE/Metric combo socket set, and while I have yet to find a socket that actually "fits" the target nut or bolt it's supposed to as well as the Facom sockets did, in a pinch, you can always find the one that comes close enough to what you need in a handy little carrying case.

I gave up on trying to list all the tools I'd need on the boat in case of emergency. At this point, I'm doing my best to limit potential emergencies before she goes out.

Jacques
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 10:38   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
edited Almost no one uses them.
That is an American thing. The Robertson drive was invented in Canada and Americans didn't want to pay the royalty so they ignored it for 25 years... now... you are slowly discovering the "new square drive". We (Canadians) have loved it for years. I throw away all flat screws and the screw drivers are only used for removal (to be replaced by "robbies"). Robbies is the abbreviation of robertson screws and the colour dictates the size ie yellow robbie, green robbie, red robbie or black robbie. red and green the most common.
justlearnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 12:15   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I think Gord said it best. US boat, US engine(?), go with SAE for that era.

I prefer separate sets of SAE and metric tools so I don't have to fiddle around picking the wrong ones from a larger single set. And the great thing about tools from HF, is that if they don't fit, you can bang 'em down till they do.(G) Pot metal is OK for some purposes but if you've ever had a cheap "lifetime warrantee" wrench come apart and bust open your knuckles, you may reconsider buying better quality the first time around and leaving the pain for your wallet. I'll use their extension bars and such, but even then, I don' trust them under load compared to the real thing.

A couple of good files, and a rotary tool, can also convert a number of parts from metric to SAE, or vice versa.

Next big round of tool sales is what, Memorial Day?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 12:22   #21

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
............... The reality with any boat is that a few wrenches are all that are needed to do most everything on the boat. ...........
My "reality" is that you need open end wrenches, box wrenches, standard and deep sockets, various lengths of extension bars and standard and stubby ratchet handles. Both 3/8" and 1/4" drive.
Old 22-03-2015, 18:36   #22

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Quote:
Technologically, Robertson heads are great. Not having a driver that matches handy...not so great and that has always been the big downside. Almost no one uses them.

We don't have them on the boat but we finally went out and bought a couple for the 5th wheel.
I'd never heard of Robbie heads either until I accidentally bought a box of 1/4" Robbie wood screws (thinking they were Phillips heads) at Lowes a few weeks ago, and found a matching driver in my Dewalt drill's driver kit. I love these things. They don't thread or slip when you slip them onto the driver, but they can be a little hard to engage when the screw is already in place.
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 18:45   #23

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Besides SAE and metric combination wrenches, sockets+, ratchets, extensions, add torque wrench and breaker bar.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 19:05   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlee View Post
Hi all...getting everything together for maiden voyage and a new issue, tools! What is more prevalent on an Irwin 30-1977...Metric or SAE...I plan to have both, but some of the specialty wrenches and things I only have 1 set...
Thanks to you all for ALL the advice...man, you guys have taken a lot of the trial and error out of this...WHEW!!
See you in the Caribbean...first ones on me!
OH, Atomic 4 gas...
CRESCENT makes the very popular adjustable metric wrench. It also fits SAE hexes. Channel Lok & Vice Grip are similarly flexible.

I carry full sets of all sockets, deep & shallow and Allen wrenches and many combination wrenches. Also inch, number & letter drills and two sets of tap & die. I don't know how you could leave any of it behind. We have an old boat with 99% SAE sizes but I want to be able to help others or acquire new toys.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 19:29   #25

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Spend the extra money for good quality wrenches. 8 point instead of 16 point work better on rusted bolts. WD40 is good for spraying your tools then wrap them in a non absorbent cloth. I've heard of some stuff that truckers spray on their rigs to prevent rust on salty winter roads but can't remember the name of it now . Somebody? Get some PB Blaster to loosen rusted things. Plastic tool boxes or plastic ammo boxes.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 19:55   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
...8 point instead of 16 point...
6-pt vs 12-pt?
Old 22-03-2015, 23:09   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlearnin View Post
That is an American thing. The Robertson drive was invented in Canada and Americans didn't want to pay the royalty so they ignored it for 25 years... now... you are slowly discovering the "new square drive". We (Canadians) have loved it for years. I throw away all flat screws and the screw drivers are only used for removal (to be replaced by "robbies"). Robbies is the abbreviation of robertson screws and the colour dictates the size ie yellow robbie, green robbie, red robbie or black robbie. red and green the most common.
No they have been available in both US and Canada pretty much forever (grew up 5 miles from the boarder and spent a fair bit of time over there) but flat head and Phillips are the dominant style.

The only common place they were found is in RV's. Never heard why.

As I said, as a technology they are great but being rarely used, it means one more tool to keep on hand.
Old 22-03-2015, 23:16   #28

Quote:
...The only common place they were found is in RV's. Never heard why...
They are more easily installed by automated equipment.
Old 22-03-2015, 23:23   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
They are more easily installed by automated equipment.
I've heard that explanation before but it doesn't hold up. But there are guys with screw guns building decks, cars and many other things...but they don't use them.
Old 23-03-2015, 11:34   #30

Boat: Rafiki 37

I've been replacing all my screws that I take out with Robertson drive ones as well.

Love 'em.