Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2013, 08:41   #76
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Russians board Arctic Sunrise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
i get a kick out of protesting oil drilling, while on a massive ship that burns......
wait for it
OIL @@@@@!!!#$#%$%&^$%^&%^

idiots, i hope the Russians sink the boat, lock up the crew, and forget them in jail.
don't mess with Russia, the Nazi's learned that the hard way....
Really? I think the Russians learned not to mess with Germans,only thing that the Russians taught the Germans was that it gets cold waiting for the ice to thaw...
Old 22-09-2013, 08:44   #77

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
i get a kick out of protesting oil drilling, while on a massive ship that burns......
wait for it
OIL @@@@@!!!#$#%$%&^$%^&%^

idiots, i hope the Russians sink the boat, lock up the crew, and forget them in jail.
don't mess with Russia, the Nazi's learned that the hard way....
I gave this post a THANKS!
Old 22-09-2013, 10:43   #78

Boat: Pearson 281

Boatman,
You are right and the point I tried to make earlier is that GP is not naive about this, they have been doing this on the international scene for awhile and are aware that wherever they break the law they will have to deal with the consequences and now it is the job of their legal team to do whatever they can to try to free GPs people and assets.
Foggy... you will never be satisfied by any reportage on these issues that does not support your view. Celestial produced a wide range of sources that substantiate his position and I have not seen you produce any fact-based sources that support your own. W/o being able to review your sources I cannot fairly asses the validity of your opinions which, at this point can't be seen as fact-based in ANY way.
I will say it again: behind the scenes negotiation etc does not work w/o leverage and activism produces leverage.. This has been shown to be the case over and over again on the geo-political scene. By the measure of some here many brave and dedicated activists who have put their personal freedom and their lives on the line are just scum.
The vitrol and meaan-spiritednesd of a few of these posts is hilarious given that those few posters have most-likely never raised a finger to fight an injustice and haven't a clue of how any number of their own freedoms were once won by the sacrifice of others...
Old 22-09-2013, 10:58   #79
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Russians board Arctic Sunrise!

LOL... I know.. I used to fund raise for them in London in the 90's...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 22-09-2013, 10:58   #80
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post
By the measure of some here many brave and dedicated activists who have put their personal freedom and their lives on the line are just scum.
lol brave. lol.
that is truly funny.
Old 22-09-2013, 11:01   #81

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Whale farming in the US?

Where?

Citations please.
Sorry I wasn't more clear. I am well aware RE: decline of whale industry. Spending quite a bit of time on Nantucket I am also aware that whale killing could be a profitable pursuit. In fact I know of individuals who are presently in the slammer due to trafficking in whale parts.

Point being it is my opinion that the reason we don't hunt whales is NOT because of their lack of value as you suggest. The environmental movement is, IMO, largely responsible for making whaling illegal (except for Inuits) in the US. Not because we are such a conscientious people.

Jim
Old 22-09-2013, 11:02   #82
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimske View Post
The environmental movement is, IMO, largely responsible for making whaling illegal (except for Inuits) in the US. Not because we are such a conscientious people.

Jim

whales kill people. proven fact. kill them all like we did the dinosaurs.
Old 22-09-2013, 11:30   #83

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Boatman,
You are right and the point I tried to make earlier is that GP is not naive about this, they have been doing this on the international scene for awhile and are aware that wherever they break the law they will have to deal with the consequences and now it is the job of their legal team to do whatever they can to try to free GPs people and assets.
Foggy... you will never be satisfied by any reportage on these issues that does not support your view. Celestial produced a wide range of sources that substantiate his position and I have not seen you produce any fact-based sources that support your own. W/o being able to review your sources I cannot fairly asses the validity of your opinions which, at this point can't be seen as fact-based in ANY way.
I will say it again: behind the scenes negotiation etc does not work w/o leverage and activism produces leverage.. This has been shown to be the case over and over again on the geo-political scene. By the measure of some here many brave and dedicated activists who have put their personal freedom and their lives on the line are just scum.
The vitrol and meaan-spiritednesd of a few of these posts is hilarious given that those few posters have most-likely never raised a finger to fight an injustice and haven't a clue of how any number of their own freedoms were once won by the sacrifice of others...
Butler with all due respect, I disagree. I know the affect I have had with years of behind the scene work change the protection of wildlife, protection of waterways and wetlands, any issues dealing with the boreal forest.

Working with industry and particularly with governments that regulate that industry, can often have a much more and far widening positive effect then demonstrations and civil disobedience does.

What many feel to realize, is that governments are now aware of issues surrounding environment. The civil disobedience and that brought that awareness in many cases to the forefront was perhaps the way of dealing with things 30 years ago. Things have progressed since then.

Don't forget in many cases the people now and government, and especially those in the civil service, for children when issues first came about.

It is time for these organizations to also mature and grow up.
Old 22-09-2013, 11:34   #84

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
avb3, A closer look at the organization might help allay your cynicism.
I did....

In 1963, the four nuclear powers (At the time) signed the Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty, forbidding among other things, the testing of Nuclear Weapons in the world's oceans and anywhere else, except underground.

Greenpeace was founded in 1971, how did they stop nuclear testing in the world's oceans?

Oh wait... Greenpeace protested at an isolated island in Alaska that no one had lived on in over a 100 years. The US Government did three underground nuclear test there, ending in 1971. After the testing was completed, the Atomic Energy Commission left the island in 1973. In 2004 and 2006 the University of Alaska did testing and reported they found no nuclear material leaking from the island.

I guess since it was an island, in the ocean, and Green Peace protested there... They claim responsibility for saving the world's oceans from Nuclear testing...

Old 22-09-2013, 11:38   #85

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

And today I read not only did two Green Peace activists climb an Oil Platform, but they also deployed a floating POD (3 meters Long x 2.2 Meters wide) to "protect the activist from water cannons".

The Russians insist that they thought it could be a bomb....

Hello... In this day and age with all the nut-balls running around blowing things up... I ask is Green Peace freaking NUTS?

Old 22-09-2013, 11:39   #86

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:

GEEZ, you must have a reading problem!
Old 22-09-2013, 11:45   #87

Boat: Brayndlmeyer 40 custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVI View Post
GP behaved like eco-terrorists - send them on vacation to Guantanamo
Right on brother!
Old 22-09-2013, 11:47   #88
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
Hello... In this day and age with all the nut-balls running around blowing things up... I ask is Green Peace freaking NUTS?
Old 22-09-2013, 11:47   #89

Boat: Brayndlmeyer 40 custom
So GP was getting pissy about oil drilling off shore? Hmmm wonder what powers their vessel?
Old 22-09-2013, 12:02   #90

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
I did....

In 1963, the four nuclear powers (At the time) signed the Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty, forbidding among other things, the testing of Nuclear Weapons in the world's oceans and anywhere else, except underground.

Greenpeace was founded in 1971, how did they stop nuclear testing in the world's oceans?

Oh wait... Greenpeace protested at an isolated island in Alaska that no one had lived on in over a 100 years. The US Government did three underground nuclear test there, ending in 1971. After the testing was completed, the Atomic Energy Commission left the island in 1973. In 2004 and 2006 the University of Alaska did testing and reported they found no nuclear material leaking from the island.

I guess since it was an island, in the ocean, and Green Peace protested there... They claim responsibility for saving the world's oceans from Nuclear testing...

Um..... Just a bit of info...

Nuclear testing, France... Quick Wiki snip:

France did not sign the Partial Test Ban Treaty, which gave it the option to conduct further nuclear tests until it signed and ratified the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty in 1996 and 1998 respectively.

By 1962 France hoped in its negotiations with the Algerian independence movement to retain the Sahara as a test site until 1968, but decided that it needed to be able to also perform above-ground tests of hydrogen bombs, which could not be done in Algeria. Mururoa and Fangataufa in French Polynesia were chosen that year.

A total of 193 nuclear tests were carried out in Polynesia from 1966 to 1996. On 24 August 1968 France detonated its first thermonuclear weapon—codenamed Canopus—over Fangataufa. A fission device ignited a lithium-6 deuteride secondary inside a jacket of highly enriched uranium to create a 2.6 megaton blast.

In 1985 the Greenpeace ship Rainbow Warrior was bombed and sunk by the French DGSE in Auckland, New Zealand, as it prepared for another protest of nuclear testing in French military zones.
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, Russia