Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2013, 09:41   #76
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Russians board Arctic Sunrise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
i get a kick out of protesting oil drilling, while on a massive ship that burns......
...
...
...
wait for it
...
...
OIL @@@@@!!!#$#%$%&^$%^&%^

idiots, i hope the Russians sink the boat, lock up the crew, and forget them in jail.
don't mess with Russia, the Nazi's learned that the hard way....
Really? I think the Russians learned not to mess with Germans,only thing that the Russians taught the Germans was that it gets cold waiting for the ice to thaw...
__________________

__________________
tropicalescape is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 09:44   #77
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Posts: 1,589
Re: Russians board Arctic Sunrise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
i get a kick out of protesting oil drilling, while on a massive ship that burns......
...
...
...
wait for it
...
...
OIL @@@@@!!!#$#%$%&^$%^&%^

idiots, i hope the Russians sink the boat, lock up the crew, and forget them in jail.
don't mess with Russia, the Nazi's learned that the hard way....
I gave this post a THANKS!
__________________

__________________
foggysail is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 11:43   #78
Registered User
 
Butler's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Boat: Pearson 281
Posts: 678
Images: 18
Re: Russians board Arctic Sunrise!

Boatman,
You are right and the point I tried to make earlier is that GP is not naive about this, they have been doing this on the international scene for awhile and are aware that wherever they break the law they will have to deal with the consequences and now it is the job of their legal team to do whatever they can to try to free GPs people and assets.
Foggy... you will never be satisfied by any reportage on these issues that does not support your view. Celestial produced a wide range of sources that substantiate his position and I have not seen you produce any fact-based sources that support your own. W/o being able to review your sources I cannot fairly asses the validity of your opinions which, at this point can't be seen as fact-based in ANY way.
I will say it again: behind the scenes negotiation etc does not work w/o leverage and activism produces leverage.. This has been shown to be the case over and over again on the geo-political scene. By the measure of some here many brave and dedicated activists who have put their personal freedom and their lives on the line are just scum.
The vitrol and meaan-spiritednesd of a few of these posts is hilarious given that those few posters have most-likely never raised a finger to fight an injustice and haven't a clue of how any number of their own freedoms were once won by the sacrifice of others...
__________________
Butler is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 11:58   #79
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,189
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Russians board Arctic Sunrise!

LOL... I know.. I used to fund raise for them in London in the 90's...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now  
Old 22-09-2013, 11:58   #80
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Russians board Arctic Sunrise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post
By the measure of some here many brave and dedicated activists who have put their personal freedom and their lives on the line are just scum.
lol brave. lol.
that is truly funny.
__________________
scoobert is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 12:01   #81
Registered User
 
Jimske's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Connecticut
Boat: Brown Searunner 31 #108 - Drole D'Oiseau
Posts: 333
Re: Russians board Arctic Sunrise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Whale farming in the US?

Where?

Citations please.
Sorry I wasn't more clear. I am well aware RE: decline of whale industry. Spending quite a bit of time on Nantucket I am also aware that whale killing could be a profitable pursuit. In fact I know of individuals who are presently in the slammer due to trafficking in whale parts.

Point being it is my opinion that the reason we don't hunt whales is NOT because of their lack of value as you suggest. The environmental movement is, IMO, largely responsible for making whaling illegal (except for Inuits) in the US. Not because we are such a conscientious people.

Jim
__________________
Jimske is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 12:02   #82
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Russians board Arctic Sunrise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimske View Post
The environmental movement is, IMO, largely responsible for making whaling illegal (except for Inuits) in the US. Not because we are such a conscientious people.

Jim

whales kill people. proven fact. kill them all like we did the dinosaurs.
__________________
scoobert is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 12:30   #83
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post
Boatman,
You are right and the point I tried to make earlier is that GP is not naive about this, they have been doing this on the international scene for awhile and are aware that wherever they break the law they will have to deal with the consequences and now it is the job of their legal team to do whatever they can to try to free GPs people and assets.
Foggy... you will never be satisfied by any reportage on these issues that does not support your view. Celestial produced a wide range of sources that substantiate his position and I have not seen you produce any fact-based sources that support your own. W/o being able to review your sources I cannot fairly asses the validity of your opinions which, at this point can't be seen as fact-based in ANY way.
I will say it again: behind the scenes negotiation etc does not work w/o leverage and activism produces leverage.. This has been shown to be the case over and over again on the geo-political scene. By the measure of some here many brave and dedicated activists who have put their personal freedom and their lives on the line are just scum.
The vitrol and meaan-spiritednesd of a few of these posts is hilarious given that those few posters have most-likely never raised a finger to fight an injustice and haven't a clue of how any number of their own freedoms were once won by the sacrifice of others...
Butler with all due respect, I disagree. I know the affect I have had with years of behind the scene work change the protection of wildlife, protection of waterways and wetlands, any issues dealing with the boreal forest.

Working with industry and particularly with governments that regulate that industry, can often have a much more and far widening positive effect then demonstrations and civil disobedience does.

What many feel to realize, is that governments are now aware of issues surrounding environment. The civil disobedience and that brought that awareness in many cases to the forefront was perhaps the way of dealing with things 30 years ago. Things have progressed since then.

Don't forget in many cases the people now and government, and especially those in the civil service, for children when issues first came about.

It is time for these organizations to also mature and grow up.
__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 12:34   #84
Registered User
 
jeremiason's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Punta Gorda, Florida
Boat: Sea Ray 270
Posts: 1,427
Images: 2
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Re: Russians board Arctic Sunrise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post
avb3, A closer look at the organization might help allay your cynicism.
I did....

In 1963, the four nuclear powers (At the time) signed the Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty, forbidding among other things, the testing of Nuclear Weapons in the world's oceans and anywhere else, except underground.

Greenpeace was founded in 1971, how did they stop nuclear testing in the world's oceans?

Oh wait... Greenpeace protested at an isolated island in Alaska that no one had lived on in over a 100 years. The US Government did three underground nuclear test there, ending in 1971. After the testing was completed, the Atomic Energy Commission left the island in 1973. In 2004 and 2006 the University of Alaska did testing and reported they found no nuclear material leaking from the island.

I guess since it was an island, in the ocean, and Green Peace protested there... They claim responsibility for saving the world's oceans from Nuclear testing...

__________________
Tom Jeremiason
Punta Gorda, Florida

jeremiason is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 12:38   #85
Registered User
 
jeremiason's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Punta Gorda, Florida
Boat: Sea Ray 270
Posts: 1,427
Images: 2
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Re: Russians board Arctic Sunrise!

And today I read not only did two Green Peace activists climb an Oil Platform, but they also deployed a floating POD (3 meters Long x 2.2 Meters wide) to "protect the activist from water cannons".

The Russians insist that they thought it could be a bomb....

Hello... In this day and age with all the nut-balls running around blowing things up... I ask is Green Peace freaking NUTS?
__________________
Tom Jeremiason
Punta Gorda, Florida

jeremiason is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 12:39   #86
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Posts: 1,589
Re: Russians board Arctic Sunrise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post

Foggy... you will never be satisfied by any reportage on these issues that does not support your view. Celestial produced a wide range of sources that substantiate his position and I have not seen you produce any fact-based sources that support your own. W/o being able to review your sources I cannot fairly asses the validity of your opinions which, at this point can't be seen as fact-based in ANY way.
...


GEEZ, you must have a reading problem!
__________________
foggysail is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 12:45   #87
Registered User
 
Snkr's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ituna, SK boat in Sointula, BC
Boat: Brayndlmeyer 40 custom
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVI View Post
GP behaved like eco-terrorists - send them on vacation to Guantanamo
Right on brother!
__________________
Snkr is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 12:47   #88
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Russians board Arctic Sunrise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
Hello... In this day and age with all the nut-balls running around blowing things up... I ask is Green Peace freaking NUTS?
__________________
scoobert is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 12:47   #89
Registered User
 
Snkr's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ituna, SK boat in Sointula, BC
Boat: Brayndlmeyer 40 custom
Posts: 89
So GP was getting pissy about oil drilling off shore? Hmmm wonder what powers their vessel?
__________________
Snkr is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 13:02   #90
Registered User
 
svmariane's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Currently in South Pacific. Home Port: Vienna, Austria
Boat: Celestial, Stay'sl-Rigged Sloop, 48 ft
Posts: 1,163
Re: Russians board Arctic Sunrise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
I did....

In 1963, the four nuclear powers (At the time) signed the Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty, forbidding among other things, the testing of Nuclear Weapons in the world's oceans and anywhere else, except underground.

Greenpeace was founded in 1971, how did they stop nuclear testing in the world's oceans?

Oh wait... Greenpeace protested at an isolated island in Alaska that no one had lived on in over a 100 years. The US Government did three underground nuclear test there, ending in 1971. After the testing was completed, the Atomic Energy Commission left the island in 1973. In 2004 and 2006 the University of Alaska did testing and reported they found no nuclear material leaking from the island.

I guess since it was an island, in the ocean, and Green Peace protested there... They claim responsibility for saving the world's oceans from Nuclear testing...

Um..... Just a bit of info...

Nuclear testing, France... Quick Wiki snip:

France did not sign the Partial Test Ban Treaty, which gave it the option to conduct further nuclear tests until it signed and ratified the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty in 1996 and 1998 respectively.

By 1962 France hoped in its negotiations with the Algerian independence movement to retain the Sahara as a test site until 1968, but decided that it needed to be able to also perform above-ground tests of hydrogen bombs, which could not be done in Algeria. Mururoa and Fangataufa in French Polynesia were chosen that year.

A total of 193 nuclear tests were carried out in Polynesia from 1966 to 1996. On 24 August 1968 France detonated its first thermonuclear weapon—codenamed Canopus—over Fangataufa. A fission device ignited a lithium-6 deuteride secondary inside a jacket of highly enriched uranium to create a 2.6 megaton blast.

In 1985 the Greenpeace ship Rainbow Warrior was bombed and sunk by the French DGSE in Auckland, New Zealand, as it prepared for another protest of nuclear testing in French military zones.
__________________

__________________
"Being offended is not the same thing as being right." Dave Barry.
Note: Offense is always taken, never given.
When life hands you lemons..... add gin & tonic!
svmariane is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, Russia

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:24.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.