Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2013, 20:52   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Im certain he meant "harvesting" ,to think that he meant whale aquaculture is absurd...
Hence my query for citation
Old 21-09-2013, 23:59   #62

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Russians board Arctic Sunrise!

Quote:
Oil and gas drilling companies had pushed for the change, but there have been differing scientific estimates of the amount of methane that leaks from wells, pipelines and other facilities during production and delivery. Methane is the main component of natural gas.
"

They tend not to waste too much of it because it is what they sell to make a profit. If you want to get upset about methane releases into the atmosphere get mad at the meat cattle and dairy industries. They release zillions of cubic feet of methane into the atmosphere every day and no one says a word about it.

Drilling for oil to extract kerosine for lamps is most probably what saved the whales that are left and which population appears to be slowly recovering.

They are lucky the Russians got to them before they managed to get aboard the rig. If they had someone may have put them to work on the drill floor and there are few more miserable ways of earning a living than working on these things in Arctic conditions.
Old 22-09-2013, 06:42   #63

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Im certain he meant "harvesting" ,to think that he meant whale aquaculture is absurd...
oh...I don't know...been to Marine World?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 22-09-2013, 07:20   #64
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
oh...I don't know...been to Marine World?
Touch'e...Not so Absured after all..
Old 22-09-2013, 07:30   #65
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Russians board Arctic Sunrise!

Basic fact of Life GP and anyone/country needs to accept...
You mess with my rice bowl don't be surprised if I punch you in the face... and I don't care if you run to the UN/Mommy crying 'FOUL'...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 22-09-2013, 07:42   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I have always had a lot more respect for activist organizations that get things done by changing laws and treaties over those that protest, quite often illegally like we have in this case. Protesting quite often seems analogous to a 2 year old throwing a temper tantrum. Changing laws and treaties is the adult way of accomplishing your goals.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 22-09-2013, 07:57   #67

....and like I mentioned earlier...I don't see anyone else doing it, so all the power to them. People can call them tree huggers and Whackies all they want and usually from the comfort of the plastic bar of soap in the water with huge dual fuel guzzling inboards.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 22-09-2013, 08:02   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
....and like I mentioned earlier...I don't see anyone else doing it, so all the power to them. People can call them tree huggers and Whackies all they want and usually from the comfort of the plastic bar of soap in the water with huge dual fuel guzzling inboards.
So you think that World Wildlife Fund is not doing anything? Do you think the Sierra Club is not doing anything? You think the National Wildlife Federation in the United States of America or its sister organization the Canadian Wildlife Federation are not doing anything?
Old 22-09-2013, 08:05   #69

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Facts?...sure no problem.

Natural Gas Drilling: Impacts of Fracking on Health, Water | NRDC

Why Ban Fracking? | Food & Water Watch

Gasland 2: A film by Josh Fox - NOW on HBO

Is Fracking Safe? The Top 10 Myths About Natural Gas Drilling - Popular Mechanics

Why is fracking dangerous? | Metro News

The Dangers of Fracking: New Study Finds High Levels of Arsenic

Wrecking the Earth: Fracking has grave radiation risks few talk about ? RT Op-Edge

NY Times on natural gas fracking: "The dangers to the environment and health are greater than previously understood." | ThinkProgress

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/artic...ral-gas-supply

4 Horrifying Dangers of Fracking | Alternet

Ok...Now for the whale claim...From Wiki...

Modern whaling

Whale oil is little used today[6] and modern commercial whaling is done for food. The primary species hunted are the common minke whale and Antarctic minke whale, two of the smallest species of baleen whales. Recent scientific surveys estimate a population of 103,000 in the northeast Atlantic. With respect to the populations of Antarctic minke whales, as of January 2010, the IWC states that it is "unable to provide reliable estimates at the present time" and that a "major review is underway by the Scientific Committee."[7]
International cooperation on whaling regulation began in 1931 and culminated in the signing of the International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling (ICRW) in 1946. Its aim is to:
provide for the proper conservation of whale stocks and thus make possible the orderly development of the whaling industry.[8] The International Whaling Commission (IWC) was set up under the ICRW to decide hunting quotas and other relevant matters based on the findings of its Scientific Committee. Non-member countries are not bound by its regulations and conduct their own management programs.
The IWC voted on July 23, 1982, to establish a moratorium on commercial whaling beginning in the 1985–86 season. Since 1992, the IWC's Scientific Committee has requested that it be allowed to give quota proposals for some whale stocks, but this has so far been refused by the Plenary Committee.

Why Do the Japanese Hunt Whales? : Whale Wars: Animal Planet

So please...If you can turn off the re-runs of the "Dukes of Hazard" for a moment, I would love to see your.."facts". Because all I have seen is your opinions.

DUDE--

I started down your list of references only to find as I suspected, all backed by left wing radicals.

As I stated in post #51 "HEY DUUUDE, you're only reading what supports your environmental conviction. Get real!!"

Now as to whales and I happen to dock my boat in the very same waters that share New Bedford's fishing fleet. Years ago New Bedford and Fairhaven, MA enjoyed great wealth hunting down whales. So it is apropos to quote from the New Bedford Whaling Museum regarding the decline of whaling wealth and its cause.

"Beginning in the 1860s the American whaling industry suffered a gradual decline. Decade by decade, the value of whale oil dwindled, fewer ships were sent to sea, fewer men signed on, fewer fortunes were made, and fewer livelihoods depended on American whaling prowess.

PETROLEUM: The discovery of petroleum in Pennsylvania in 1859 supplanted some of the many applications for sperm and whale oils. Whale oil could not compete with petroleum as a fuel or illuminant
"

Foggy
Old 22-09-2013, 08:07   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
So you think that World Wildlife Fund is not doing anything? Do you think the Sierra Club is not doing anything? You think the National Wildlife Federation in the United States of America or its sister organization the Canadian Wildlife Federation are not doing anything?
Of course not...as usual, I was generalizing. There are some that see WWF and SC as Whackies too. I think my point is we can all do something...anything, no matter how small.
Old 22-09-2013, 08:13   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
DUDE--

I started down your list of references only to find as I suspected, all backed by left wing radicals.

As I stated in post #51 "HEY DUUUDE, you're only reading what supports your environmental conviction. Get real!!"

Now as to whales and I happen to dock my boat in the very same waters that share New Bedford's fishing fleet. Years ago New Bedford and Fairhaven, MA enjoyed great wealth hunting down whales. So it is apropos to quote from the New Bedford Whaling Museum regarding the decline of whaling wealth and its cause.

"Beginning in the 1860s the American whaling industry suffered a gradual decline. Decade by decade, the value of whale oil dwindled, fewer ships were sent to sea, fewer men signed on, fewer fortunes were made, and fewer livelihoods depended on American whaling prowess.

PETROLEUM: The discovery of petroleum in Pennsylvania in 1859 supplanted some of the many applications for sperm and whale oils. Whale oil could not compete with petroleum as a fuel or illuminant
"

Foggy
...and as I said in post #52...never underestimate the power of denial. The only reason you see those references as radical is because your views are equally radical the other way. That's how social polarization works. Us against them...hence the denial statement.
Look...the OP was talking about a boarding by GP on a Russian platform. we are off topic here.
Old 22-09-2013, 08:19   #72

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Civil disobedience in an uncivil land. Not likely to go down easy. Governing Russia has never been easy,or sometimes even possible. GP will make a great sacrifice... Hope its worth it.
Old 22-09-2013, 08:25   #73

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Of course not...as usual, I was generalizing. There are some that see WWF and SC as Whackies too. I think my point is we can all do something...anything, no matter how small.
I actually personally am not a big fan of the Sierra Club, however, they are a legitimate organization which is effective at working inside the rules. I respect the fact their advocacy is done in that manner. I may disagree about some of the positions.
Old 22-09-2013, 08:32   #74
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

i get a kick out of protesting oil drilling, while on a massive ship that burns......
wait for it
OIL @@@@@!!!#$#%$%&^$%^&%^

idiots, i hope the Russians sink the boat, lock up the crew, and forget them in jail.
don't mess with Russia, the Nazi's learned that the hard way....
Old 22-09-2013, 08:41   #75

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I actually personally am not a big fan of the Sierra Club, however, they are a legitimate organization which is effective at working inside the rules. I respect the fact their advocacy is done in that manner. I may disagree about some of the positions.
Yes, they do work within the rules. But they along with the Perg groups successfully lobby to change the rules to suit their causes. One can quickly see how MassPerg along with other environmental groups lobbied our legislators to make just about all Massachusetts' off shore waters a NDZ. This type of action does not make the water any cleaner, instead it forces otherwise law obedient boating public to become law breakers. This is off topic so maybe time to change the subject.
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, Russia