Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2014, 10:43   #286

Boat: 1965 TollyCraft Voyager
Re: Rebel Heart Crew Suing.....

"I think I correctly explained in the interview that even with our flooding it really wasn't that bad, the only materially bad aspect was that it got sea water all over the radio and put a ton of moisture into the battery compartment. By the end, we had lost our solar controller, inverter, voltage meter, and lower distribution panel."

"If you removed Lyra's medical problems we would have muscled through it."

"When we decided to scuttle the boat I told my wife that for the ~$100k that we'd spent on the boat, we had a home for 8 years, had amazing adventures, and experienced life more than most do in a lifetime. So for the money, we got plenty out of it."(emphasis added)

I am only looking at the legal side of this, not whether the phone company is a nightmare. It will not be easy to prove that "but-for" the phone failure, the daughter would have been fine and the journey continues with a thrashed boat.

Someone had mentioned that RB was ordered to scuttle by USN. It sounds like it was a decision. Could Eric have sailed to SoCal or other landfall based upon his own words?
Old 11-07-2014, 10:43   #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
The electronics were all flooded and water was in short supply, questionable if it would last the expected three weeks or so needed to reach the destination given that the standing rigging was compromised and might well have caused more damage to the deck/hull causing more leaking which the bilge pump was already having trouble keeping up with.

There were also claims that part of the problem for the little girl was she was being bounced around in an unfriendly seaway and simply getting off a small bouncy boat was a factor in her getting better.

Even if no one on board was ill the boat was in bad shape and more than likely would have suffered more damage if subject to any more bad weather. It was never a fast boat at best and with chainplates pulling out of the hull reducing sail would be the smart move which would make the boat even slower.

Even if a safe harbor was close by navigating in possibly small passages in the reef might present a problem with no electronics.

Not saying it would be impossible, just that the little girl being sick was not the only problem.
As someone mentioned.... this may have been a blessing in disguise... due to the rescue... they may have been saved from something worse.... The boat was (according to all info from RH prior to lawsuit talks) was having serious issues. A storm or bad conditions.......
Old 11-07-2014, 10:50   #288

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I can pull only one observation I consider 100% true from this situation: The mention of Rebel Heart on Cruisers' Forum will attract more posts than a hot turd attracts flies.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:59   #289
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I can pull only one observation I consider 100% true from this situation: The mention of Rebel Heart on Cruisers' Forum will attract more posts than a hot turd attracts flies.
you really need to watch the video,for cringe worthy hot steaming feaces.... no mention at all of their claims that the boat was virtually disabled,according to their commentary,all they needed to know was how to use a syringe to administer antibiotics orally and everything would have been hunky dory........no rescue neeeded at all.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:08   #290

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVNoPlans View Post
"I think I correctly explained in the interview that even with our flooding it really wasn't that bad, the only materially bad aspect was that it got sea water all over the radio and put a ton of moisture into the battery compartment. By the end, we had lost our solar controller, inverter, voltage meter, and lower distribution panel."

"If you removed Lyra's medical problems we would have muscled through it."

SNIP
Sorry I cant let this pass.

If this is true RH should never be allowed to step off land again.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:12   #291

Boat: currently a power boat :(

It's all unfortunate. He was a polarizing figure on this forum, probably due to his quick to judge, smug attitude and lack of compassion. Probably why the mention of RH draws so much attention...

Wonder if he hears his own words of wisdom:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I guess I'm shaking my head and giving my non-approving-finger-wave because of the amount of vessels that are ending up in harm's way in large part due to completely non-seamanship behavior.

Reading that guy's outlook and comprehension of events had me slack jawed. I wanted to throttle him and say "no dude, it's not the 'tao' keeping you from getting to shore, it's you."
His daughter's safety was of utmost importance, but reading through all the problems of the boat, one has to wonder if she was not sick, if they wouldn't have pushed the button sooner or later. He made the right decision IMO, but the lawsuit and continued media tour has me, to quote RH, "shaking my head and giving my non-approving-finger-wave"
Old 11-07-2014, 11:13   #292

Boat: Catalina 380
Re: Rebel Heart Crew suing.....

[QUOTE=tomfl;1582074]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
SNIP

I have NEVER had coffee served to me as hot as McD's.

SNIP/QUOTE]

You need to get out more.
Yep +1
Old 11-07-2014, 11:33   #293

Hum, I wonder if people out there have the whole blog, unedited, downloaded on their kindle: http://www.amazon.com/Rebel-Heart-Blog/dp/B003K16RG2

Not to mention people have full passages from now deleted parts of the blog quoted: http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/ind...owtopic=156426

For instance: "Lyra, if you are reading this someday, know that we don’t mean you were a “bad baby,” or anything of the sort. You’re a wonderfully active, happy, ingenuitive (ßis that an actual word?) child. You are vocal, and curious, and BUSY, just as you should be. WE are the nutballs who decided to set to sea with you. Trust me, we have no one else to blame for bringing a 13 month old to sea than ourselves. I keep telling myself that Bora Bora will be worth it, worth what I’m now calling ‘extreme parenting"

Makes you wonder why Eric is deleting parts of his blog?
Old 11-07-2014, 11:37   #294
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
you really need to watch the video,for cringe worthy hot steaming feaces.... no mention at all of their claims that the boat was virtually disabled,according to their commentary,all they needed to know was how to use a syringe to administer antibiotics orally and everything would have been hunky dory........no rescue neeeded at all.

In all fairness, interviews are edited. Also, it's possible that the producers at this late date, didn't care to rehash those particulars and so the questions that would have revisited all that weren't asked. The "news peg" seemed to be the decision to sue the sat phone provider.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:45   #295
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
In all fairness, interviews are edited. Also, it's possible that the producers at this late date, didn't care to rehash those particulars and so the questions that would have revisited all that weren't asked. The "news peg" seemed to be the decision to sue the sat phone provider.
so lying by omission is acceptable these days.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:59   #296

At a certain point, they either needed to seek employment or sue somebody.

It appears they've made their choice.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:17   #297
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby View Post
might?
i think it will.

the bad pub alone just might do the trick...

3.5M isnt a DJ-30 type company...3.5 million in revenue is what that larger group dental office in your neighborhood might be doing each year.

i dont think the company survives if this lawsuit isnt thrown out.
which means it is unlikely rebel heart ever sees a payday from them
Do you guys see an angle to pull Iridium itself into this suit?
Old 11-07-2014, 12:23   #298
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
so lying by omission is acceptable these days.
How exactly do you get that from what I wrote?
Old 11-07-2014, 12:27   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Do you guys see an angle to pull Iridium itself into this suit?
No. Why would this involve Iridium? If their lawyer could have figured out an angle on that, I'm sure they would have liked the deeper pockets. They'd also get the more robust legal defense.

They'll have to sue the sat phone retailer for negligence, and prove that this negligence caused their catastrophe. It's a tall order to begin with, so they must be counting on pushing the sat phone retailer into a settlement.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:53   #300
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby View Post
my guess is the original physician had the kid on amoxicillin.. the kid presents with rash..most likely an allergy...so the switch to clindamycin.
a week with the blue pill and the kid is better..

(i'm thinking i'd want amoxicillin and clindamycin in my medicine cabinet..and obviously know how&when to take it)
According to the interviews, RH said that the paratroopers were instructed to continue using the antibiotic that RH had on board and had been trying to administer. So no change in rx. The difference was the ability to get the medicine into the kid - who had spit it out a few times. The paratroopers were able to administer correctly and she got better. Not so complicated.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, navy, rescue