Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2014, 10:11   #271
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Re: Rebel Heart Crew Suing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
It appears that Eric on other forums is deleting and changing posts that in retrospect are damaging.... NOT KOOL. It makes his side of story worse. (in my opinion)

makes you wonder if indeed the whole episode was not premeditated.......
Nah - If premeditated it would have been deleted long ago.

I think he is trying to cover some damaging posts. It's all starting to look so transparent now.

Cleaning the internet is a fools errand. I rather clean my bilge again.

Sad really...
__________________

__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline  
Old 11-07-2014, 10:36   #272
Registered User
 
nimblemotors's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sacramento, California
Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)
Posts: 1,557
Re: Rebel Heart Crew Suing.....

A whole hoard of CF'rs searching to find all his hypocrisy!

The sad fact is donations are going to be very hard to raise in the future when someone really needs it after this debacle.
This is the actual damage he has done for cruisers.
__________________

__________________
JackB
MiniMPPT Solar Controller
nimblemotors is offline  
Old 11-07-2014, 10:38   #273
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,876
Re: Rebel Heart Crew Suing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
It appears that Eric on other forums is deleting and changing posts that in retrospect are damaging.... NOT KOOL. It makes his side of story worse. (in my opinion)

makes you wonder if indeed the whole episode was not premeditated.......
Naw, just that he has no understanding of the fact that anything that goes out on the web is out there forever and if it's important, it can be retrieved.

Unless he can come up with a darn good excuse for the judge, manipulating his web presense to delete items that are damaging to his case is probalby worse than just leaving them up and claiming they are being taken out of context.

It's one thing to get caught with your hand in the cookie jar...It's another to try and put the partially chewed cookie back in the jar.
__________________
valhalla360 is offline  
Old 11-07-2014, 10:47   #274
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Rebel Heart Crew Suing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Naw, just that he has no understanding of the fact that anything that goes out on the web is out there forever and if it's important, it can be retrieved.

Unless he can come up with a darn good excuse for the judge, manipulating his web presense to delete items that are damaging to his case is probalby worse than just leaving them up and claiming they are being taken out of context.

It's one thing to get caught with your hand in the cookie jar...It's another to try and put the partially chewed cookie back in the jar.
great similie.......

it all got WEIRD after the 3rd of april when charlotte went nuts
i guess eric had no other choice BUT to push the button........everything after that point is a fabrication....
i see they have taken down all the relevent blog posts from the passage....on the RH site.
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline  
Old 11-07-2014, 10:56   #275
Registered User
 
tomfl's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Posts: 1,959
Images: 10
Re: Rebel Heart Crew Suing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
SNIP

Cleaning the internet is a fools errand. I rather clean my bilge again.

SNIP
Thread winner.
__________________
tomfl is offline  
Old 11-07-2014, 11:04   #276
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Location: On the hard in the RV
Posts: 107
Re: Rebel Heart Crew Suing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
great similie.......

it all got WEIRD after the 3rd of april when charlotte went nuts
i guess eric had no other choice BUT to push the button........everything after that point is a fabrication....
i see they have taken down all the relevent blog posts from the passage....on the RH site.
Another thought is, maybe Charlotte pressed the button and then informed Eric of what she did

Also, seems to be any defense could get the blog posts. We are continually told that anything placed on the Internet is forever there.

Plus, many people posted quotes on the RH threads here, so in the very least, there are snapshots of what they said.
__________________
Spleen is offline  
Old 11-07-2014, 11:08   #277
Registered User
 
deckofficer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Boat: too many
Posts: 4,198
Images: 4
Re: Rebel Heart Crew Suing.....

Maybe I just see things from a different perspective.

Eric leaves on this passage stocked up with meds should Lyra have a relapse.

She does but his sat phone provider turns off his service.

SAR arrives on scene with a working sat phone and is able to administer the meds on board via phone consultation.

Lyra shows improvement.



I believe if Eric could have received updated dosage via consult on his sat phone, the red bottom wouldn't have been activated and they would have completed this passage.
__________________
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean (CMA)
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline  
Old 11-07-2014, 11:19   #278
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Location: On the hard in the RV
Posts: 107
Re: Rebel Heart Crew Suing.....

I believe I remember Lyra received a different antibiotic when The SAR team boarded.
__________________
Spleen is offline  
Old 11-07-2014, 11:35   #279
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Paz, Mexico
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,653
Re: Rebel Heart Crew Suing.....

With all the focus on the Sat phone...why didn't he HF radio work?

As a former net manager/controller I've talked and listened in on check-ins every year from cruisers departing Mexico almost all the way across the pacific. So with a working HF radio a phone patch could have been done and the medical issues worked out. Why wasn't the HF working? Who gets sued for that?

I agree with Eric when he posted how unreliable a sat phone can be. We had one for "emergencys' as well but once I found out how shitty they can be, I would never trust one as my lifeline to saftey. I would toss it overboard and relay on my HF radio any day.
__________________
Rich Boren Goodbye Morro Bay...Hello La Paz, Mexico and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
SV THIRD DAY is offline  
Old 11-07-2014, 11:38   #280
Registered User
 
tomfl's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Posts: 1,959
Images: 10
Re: Rebel Heart Crew Suing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Maybe I just see things from a different perspective.

Eric leaves on this passage stocked up with meds should Lyra have a relapse.

She does but his sat phone provider turns off his service.

SAR arrives on scene with a working sat phone and is able to administer the meds on board via phone consultation.

Lyra shows improvement.



I believe if Eric could have received updated dosage via consult on his sat phone, the red bottom wouldn't have been activated and they would have completed this passage.
The electronics were all flooded and water was in short supply, questionable if it would last the expected three weeks or so needed to reach the destination given that the standing rigging was compromised and might well have caused more damage to the deck/hull causing more leaking which the bilge pump was already having trouble keeping up with.

There were also claims that part of the problem for the little girl was she was being bounced around in an unfriendly seaway and simply getting off a small bouncy boat was a factor in her getting better.

Even if no one on board was ill the boat was in bad shape and more than likely would have suffered more damage if subject to any more bad weather. It was never a fast boat at best and with chainplates pulling out of the hull reducing sail would be the smart move which would make the boat even slower.

Even if a safe harbor was close by navigating in possibly small passages in the reef might present a problem with no electronics.

Not saying it would be impossible, just that the little girl being sick was not the only problem.
__________________
tomfl is offline  
Old 11-07-2014, 11:39   #281
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 393
Images: 2
Re: Rebel Heart Crew Suing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
With all the focus on the Sat phone...why didn't he HF radio work?

As a former net manager/controller I've talked and listened in on check-ins every year from cruisers departing Mexico almost all the way across the pacific. So with a working HF radio a phone patch could have been done and the medical issues worked out. Why wasn't the HF working? Who gets sued for that?

I agree with Eric when he posted how unreliable a sat phone can be. We had one for "emergencys' as well but once I found out how shitty they can be, I would never trust one as my lifeline to saftey. I would toss it overboard and relay on my HF radio any day.
I believe he mentioned that the boat was lacking in power, and that there was an ingress of seawater due to the knockdown on his electronics and his VHF and SSB was not working...

Although he also mentioned that when the plane showed up his VHF started crackling and made some noises.

A good lesson to do all to make electronics as safe as possible.
__________________
h20man is offline  
Old 11-07-2014, 11:40   #282
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Boat: lagoon 410
Posts: 95
Re: Rebel Heart Crew Suing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spleen View Post
I believe I remember Lyra received a different antibiotic when The SAR team boarded.
my guess is the original physician had the kid on amoxicillin.. the kid presents with rash..most likely an allergy...so the switch to clindamycin.
a week with the blue pill and the kid is better..


(i'm thinking i'd want amoxicillin and clindamycin in my medicine cabinet..and obviously know how&when to take it)
__________________
chubby is offline  
Old 11-07-2014, 11:40   #283
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,157
Re: Rebel Heart Crew Suing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
It does seem that for satphone airtime resellers, if they're going to swap out one SIM for another, for whatever reason, the standard operating procedure should be to call or text the affected satphone and confirm it's not in a combat zone in Afghanistan at the moment, or mid-Pacific. . . . Not a real stretch of the imagination to figure that most satphone users are not sitting at home collecting their mail. Very odd that SatPhoneStore would do something like that.

I don't think so. I think it's pretty much the norm for big companies (like cell phone or sat phone) to give really shitty service and tell you tough crap if you complain.
__________________
socaldmax is offline  
Old 11-07-2014, 11:41   #284
Registered User
 
tomfl's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Posts: 1,959
Images: 10
Re: Rebel Heart Crew Suing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
With all the focus on the Sat phone...why didn't he HF radio work?



SNIP
Electronics and batteries flooded from leaks in the deck/hull when the chain plates caused damage and the bilge pump could not keep up.
__________________
tomfl is offline  
Old 11-07-2014, 11:43   #285
Registered User
 
deckofficer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Boat: too many
Posts: 4,198
Images: 4
Re: Rebel Heart Crew Suing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
With all the focus on the Sat phone...why didn't he HF radio work?

As a former net manager/controller I've talked and listened in on check-ins every year from cruisers departing Mexico almost all the way across the pacific. So with a working HF radio a phone patch could have been done and the medical issues worked out. Why wasn't the HF working? Who gets sued for that?

I agree with Eric when he posted how unreliable a sat phone can be. We had one for "emergencys' as well but once I found out how shitty they can be, I would never trust one as my lifeline to saftey. I would toss it overboard and relay on my HF radio any day.
When I last cruised it was before sat phones, GPS, or the Internet. My HAM HF SSB was it for me and to this day I prefer comms on my own equipment and not a 3rd party.

From what I've read on Eric's blog is his HF got doused with saltwater and stopped working.
__________________

__________________
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean (CMA)
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, navy, rescue

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:45.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.