Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2019, 14:19   #46

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36
Re: Question re: guns on board in Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Oh, we in the US have tons of customs and immigration laws. We just hardly ever enforce them from my experience as a US federal agent for 21 years.

We mostly use the honor system. The law abiding do have to jump through a lot of hoops here. The non-law abiding, not so much.

I worked some in other countries (including the Bahamas) and while so engaged, developed a strong desire to not do any third world prison time!
Don’t mind Boaty, he has a special opinion of Americans.
In some circles it’s referred to as “ having a hard on for em” or “ always a bone to pick with em”. And it’s a new year, he couldn’t let it get by . Hahahaha
Old 01-01-2019, 14:47   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Question re: guns on board in Bahamas

I’m a Retired Military Officer, gun owner etc. have several at home in storage.
However I’ll not carry abroad, just too difficult and way to prone to get into trouble.
OK so you follow all the rules etc., what do you think is going to happen if you ever used it?

To me it makes as much sense as a Canadian bringing a pound of Pot with them, cause you know, it’s legal in Canada.
I’m not picking on Canadians, just trying to illustrate that what is acceptable in one place is not in another.
There are places you may go to where your significant other ought not wear that string bikini for example just as another example.
Old 01-01-2019, 14:52   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Question re: guns on board in Bahamas

If you hear a boat approaching close by at night, grab your spotlight.
Most of the time crooks want to sneak aboard, when encountered with a light when they aren’t really that close, I almost guarantee they will motor on by and look for another boat, assuming of course that they really are bad guys wanting to steal your dinghy etc.

I’ll admit I was nervous when I had a small boat with three or four young, healthy men come racing up towards us when we crossed.
One in the bow was holding up a Lobster I assume they wanted to sell, I waved them away and they left.

For two days I was kicking myself, I should have bought the darn Lobster, didn’t cause I hadn’t checked in and have no idea when season is.
Old 01-01-2019, 14:58   #49

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

I'm with Billkinny. If you are that ready to pull you gun out please stay home. We do not need that attitude here! And if you pulled that stunt on the Defense Force you would be in more trouble than you could ever imagine!
Old 01-01-2019, 15:20   #50
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Question re: guns on board in Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
Don’t mind Boaty, he has a special opinion of Americans.
In some circles it’s referred to as “ having a hard on for em” or “ always a bone to pick with em”. And it’s a new year, he couldn’t let it get by . Hahahaha
Here we go.. the anti-American label.
Its not the individuals..its the dicks they vote in to run things and set the rules..
Could say I've a hard on for Europeans as well coz I am pro Brexit.. yet I live in Portugal.
Get on well with ordinary folks of all nationalities really.. and colour come to that.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 01-01-2019, 15:35   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
If you are that ready to pull you gun out please stay home. We do not need that attitude here!
Easy to insult concerned visitors. But, well maybe, the Bahamas should fix their crime problem first? Then no such questions would be necessary to begin with. And besides (from https://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Bahamas):

"My cousin just returned from the Bahamas and could not believe how expensive everything was. They will never go back. It's now on the "no go" list for all of us."
Old 01-01-2019, 15:38   #52

What I don't get is just how does the possession or waving around of a single gun confer any safety? If a threatening motor boat was approaching and you suspected they might be armed, then surely producing a single gun may lead to carnage. Is that what you want to potentially inflict on your spouse/crew/self?
If they were criminals, it is your goods they are after. They don't want loss of life as the consequences for their own crew or possible punitive action by authorities is simply not of any value to them.

Keep the gun in the locker. Keep the brain well engaged. It is your best defense.
e.g. if they are criminals what you should be doing is recording or remembering all the possible details such as boat and villains names, features etc. Most of them are probably not all that smart. Don't get them agitated as they will then be more likely to do something like fire a gun. Remain calm. Don't be a hero.
Old 01-01-2019, 15:56   #53
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Question re: guns on board in Bahamas

[QUOTE=blu3534;2792518]Easy to insult concerned visitors. But, well maybe, the Bahamas should fix their crime problem first? Then no such questions would be necessary to begin with. /QUOTE]

You could say that about every country in the world..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:09   #54

Boat: allied, seawind 1, 30.5ft

Out of curiosity, what is the weapons search/discovery protocol at the various venues? (Should this be a separate thread?)
Old 02-01-2019, 05:12   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrzej0nl1ne View Post
Out of curiosity, what is the weapons search/discovery protocol at the various venues? (Should this be a separate thread?)
An “oldie but goodie” ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ntry-1641.html

Old 02-01-2019, 05:41   #56

Boat: allied, seawind 1, 30.5ft

Thank you.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:46   #57

Wow.
What can I say?
Just that I, and my Russian troll compatriots, gun-toting paranoiacs all, appreciate the stunningly complex web of pointless name calling and pontificating in response to what was a genuine question directed toward what was, erroneously it turns out, believed to be an informed and potentially helpful body of knowledge.
I look forward to your continued discourse, if for no other reason than its comedic value.
Now there were a couple of you who expressed helpful ideas, but you were sadly in the minority. The greater number, shot through with misspellings and grammar reminiscent of that produced by a grade schooler, were the mindless mutterings of those who seek only to disapprove of anything that does not fit neatly within their own very narrow world view.
Having now determined that this forum is unsuited for the discussion of much besides the proper application of lanolin to running gear, I'll step back, read with amusement any comments to follow, and direct my inquiry elsewhere.
Do svidaniya gentlemen.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:27   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jimi View Post
Wow.
What can I say?
Just that I, and my Russian troll compatriots, gun-toting paranoiacs all, appreciate the stunningly complex web of pointless name calling and pontificating in response to what was a genuine question directed toward what was, erroneously it turns out, believed to be an informed and potentially helpful body of knowledge.
I look forward to your continued discourse, if for no other reason than its comedic value.
Now there were a couple of you who expressed helpful ideas, but you were sadly in the minority. The greater number, shot through with misspellings and grammar reminiscent of that produced by a grade schooler, were the mindless mutterings of those who seek only to disapprove of anything that does not fit neatly within their own very narrow world view.
Having now determined that this forum is unsuited for the discussion of much besides the proper application of lanolin to running gear, I'll step back, read with amusement any comments to follow, and direct my inquiry elsewhere.
Do svidaniya gentlemen.
You won't be missed (with this attitude). Have fun amusing yourself - if you like Waters - to death. Boom boom, bang bang.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:53   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrzej0nl1ne View Post
FYI. Pictured below is the standard weapons search/discovery protocol training simulator used at most law enforcement academies and prisons. "Learn by doing."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weapons search training.PNG
Views:	122
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	183052  
Old 02-01-2019, 08:25   #60

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
FYI. Pictured below is the standard weapons search/discovery protocol training simulator used at most law enforcement academies and prisons. "Learn by doing."

I'm glad to see this high level of training. Last thing you want is an amateur doing this to you.
Closed Thread

Tags
Bahamas, Guns