Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-01-2016, 09:06   #16

Re: Purchasing from police impound

In 2013 I bought a 1983 Amel mango 51 at a government auction. I couldn't get a survey,turn her on check hull our anything. Mast was un stepped. Gave a private offer of $35,000. In two days i picked her up. In around a month I recieved a title over the mail from Tallahassee. You should ask them.

Old 18-01-2016, 15:47   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

A friend bought a Carolina Skiff and trailer with a 60 hp Evinrude at a police auction a few years ago, got it very cheap. It was in Kansas who has no titles for boats, after getting it running and using it for a couple of years he sold it for a large profit to a guy from Missouri who was able to get Missouri titles for the boat, motor and trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 18-01-2016, 16:05   #18
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Buy the boat, buy the revenge when the criminals come looking for their boat. ....... .
That would be one of my concerns. And it doesn't have to be a criminal.

I don't think I would buy a yacht that had been impounded by the police. A rowboat maybe.
Old 18-01-2016, 16:31   #19

About 90,000 persons in the Unites States disappear each year. Most never found. So you buy a violent criminal's boat, and when he gets out of prison he can track down who bought his beloved stuff. Guess what, in the middle of the night, in your bedroom, as a rough hand squeezes the life out of you....

Yup, there is always a cost to a great deal.
Old 18-01-2016, 16:45   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Ahh, yes... violent criminals are well known to be ardent yachtsmen, and often own really nice yachts which are on their minds whilst they rot away in prison...

Are you serious, Reed?

Jim
Old 18-01-2016, 17:16   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Ahh, yes... violent criminals are well known to be ardent yachtsmen, and often own really nice yachts which are on their minds whilst they rot away in prison...

Are you serious, Reed?

Jim
guess you have not seen the boat auctions in Florida. Drug dealers make big big bucks. A lot of fancy yachts are used as storage bins, safe houses, and the like. And yes, according to my nephew at the FBI, the prisons are filled with violent drug dealers that do seek revenge and do succeed when released from federal pens. Mega billions do allow criminals to do fairly whatever they want until caught, if ever, again.
Old 18-01-2016, 17:45   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Revenge? Against some schmuck who bought a boat at an auction, without even knowing your name or crime?

You need to know someone and be offended by them, before you even think of "revenge" against them. More likely, revenge against the cop who busted you. Which is not uncommon.

But any druggie with "mega billions" won't give a FF what happened after his old boat was sold, he'll be too busy investing the megabillions into going back into business and buying a NEW boat.

Vehicles seized in drug seizures tend to get search pretty well. Ever since someone bought a pricey used Italian sports car, and later got stopped by a random search that turned up the rocker boards were full of packets.

Besides, auctions are for junk these days. If an asset has any glitz to it, it goes into an "asset forfeiture" program and the drug enforcement teams usually take it over and use it--themselves--as bait or transportation for ongoing stings.
Old 19-01-2016, 06:07   #23

Ah the cluelessness of your post. The old days of keeping the seized properties long gone due to budget needs. Revenge on unknown folks happens a lot. Just ask your old real estate agent about folks who bought foreclosed houses only to have hassles with former owners. Its not about the property per se but in Latin America, its considered extremely bad to take someone's property, regardless how obtained, without their consent. So the druggies will simply go and kill in order to feel they have defended their honor. Go ask LAPD about innocent folks killed for "blood honor".

As El Chapo once said:Take advantage of me, you die. And the guy was one of the wealthiest persons in the world. Wonder when he will get out again? Nice, middle class logic fails when it comes to the logic used by meth-out, paranoid and violent gang members.
Old 19-01-2016, 06:23   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I know this boat personally...no not mine:

Kingston Yachts for Sale, New & Used Boat Sales, Powerboats & Sailboats - Kingston Yacht Sales

It was my neigbour at my marina (kingston marina, inner harbour). The owner, Wayne, was a very nice man. Unknown to us was that he made his income running drugs from Antigua on his boat. Eventually he was caught and his boat impounded and sold at auction. It has resold several times since, and apparently is selling again now. Its an excellent boat, and a bargain at the asking price, IMHO.

It was purpose built for running drugs: sailing very fast, single handed, in extreme weather.
I would have a VERY HARD TIME turning from a purchase of the sweetie simply because she had a little extra powder in the powder room...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 09:23   #25

Boat: 1989 O'Day 322

El Chapo -vs- Sean Penn. Sounds like a Pay Per View gold mine!
Old 21-01-2016, 10:15   #26

That poor guy was just trying to make a living by delivering products a lot of folks want. So much for private initiative. Squash!!
Old 25-01-2016, 13:13   #27

If I was considering something like this, I would figure out how to hire a drug dog and its handler to make sure the boat was clean before leaving the impound yard.
Old 25-01-2016, 13:18   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwells79 View Post
If I was considering something like this, I would figure out how to hire a drug dog and its handler to make sure the boat was clean before leaving the impound yard.

You know in all honesty I believe you run that risk with any used boat.
I would think though that one from Police impound would more likely to have already been thoroughly searched?
Old 25-01-2016, 14:15   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You know in all honesty I believe you run that risk with any used boat.
I would think though that one from Police impound would more likely to have already been thoroughly searched?
Yes and no. That actually happened when a drug seized boat was bought and sailed to Honolulu. For some stupid reason the new owner thought why not have it searched again. It was by HPD, drug residuals found, and the boat seized as required by federal law. So never, never ask for a drug search by any authority; or perhaps by anyone since there is a federal bounty on turning in "drug boats".
Old 25-01-2016, 14:26   #30

Boat: Bristol 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
About 90,000 persons in the Unites States disappear each year. Most never found. So you buy a violent criminal's boat, and when he gets out of prison he can track down who bought his beloved stuff. Guess what, in the middle of the night, in your bedroom, as a rough hand squeezes the life out of you....

Yup, there is always a cost to a great deal.
This doesn't quite agree with FBI statistics.
https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nc...stics-for-2014
The National Crime Information Center’s (NCIC) Missing Person File gets about 600,000 missing person reports per year, and cancels almost all of them. The net number of missing people averages about 2000 people per year. It looks like the majority of them are children.

Tags
purchasing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: