Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2012, 14:03   #1

Problems on ICW from Georgetown to Beaufort, SC?

We are heading down the waterway on Oct. 28 from Georgetown to Beaufort. The talk in the guidebooks about shallow areas and rough currents is alarming, as we are in a sailboat that draws 5-7. Does anyone have up-to-date knowledge or specific suggestions on getting through this area safely?
Jruffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 14:10   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Problems on ICW from Georgetown to Beaufort, SC?

Might want to stay where you are till this storm front passes. Depths usually aren't a big problem till you get south of Beaufort, NC. If I wanted to get south most efficiently, would head offshore from Beaufort and duck into ports like Charleston, Savannah or elsewhere that may look interesting as time and conditions permit. The ICW is a a long, slow, boring trip that requires constant vigilance at the helm. Faster and more fun to go outside with a sailboat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 14:12   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Have you visited www.activecaptain.com It is a crowd-source site, with hazzards entered by boaters.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 14:31   #4

We are not experienced with offshore sailing so are a little afraid to try that. Yes, I have been looking at activecaptain and fighting panic about the many hazards!
Jruffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 14:35   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Best ICW info is here. Good luck with Sandy. Stay safe.
Cruiser's Net

Also do not be shy about calling TowBoatUS and asking them about tricky sections. They usually know what is going on.
Old 27-10-2012, 14:48   #6

Boat: 1975 Dufour 31

I agree with waiting until the hurricane is over
AirBoyzT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 15:15   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jruffin View Post
We are not experienced with offshore sailing so are a little afraid to try that. Yes, I have been looking at activecaptain and fighting panic about the many hazards!
If you have no experience sailing within 20 miles offshore, where have you sailed?? By getting out of the ditch you make it possible to sail without constant fear of running aground from a 20' course deviation. Weather reporting is so good you will have plenty of warning to duck inside if something nasty comes along. You may have to wait to get other than southerly winds and stay inshore of the Gulf Stream but it's no big thing. To me, the ICW is the scary part. A cheap GPS will tell you where you are at and guide you to where you want to go.

Are you ready to kedge off if you accidentally run aground. Should have an anchor instantly ready to drop into your dinghy and row out to winch yourself off. I have run aground a number of times, some were my fault, actually most were, but a few were bad charts or markers inoperative or missing. Have always gotten off by my own devices.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 15:21   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I would suggest you have a Tow Boat contract before you leave.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 15:36   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jruffin View Post
We are heading down the waterway on Oct. 28 from Georgetown to Beaufort. The talk in the guidebooks about shallow areas and rough currents is alarming, as we are in a sailboat that draws 5-7. Does anyone have up-to-date knowledge or specific suggestions on getting through this area safely?
Do Not fear the ICW.I,have lot's of coastal and Bahama crusing experience.ICW experience Nill/Last spring returned a 5'5" draft full keel sailbaot from MD to S Fl.Did a couple of off shore stints but mostly ICW.Active Capatin is not there to scare anyone just remember the post are mostly written by folks just like you and every one interpret's sitituation's differently.I,found it Very Valuable for anchoring and Marina's.Made the trip a lot easier than lookng at paper.Personally with the strom coming I,would go.Lots of water being pushed in running aground will be hard to do if you stay in the channell which in my opinion is well marked mostly.
Have Fun really no big deal.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 16:07   #10

Panic is the wrong P. Try Planning ahead, as suggested.

Many, many, many have done it with your draft. Blogs can be your friend, too. Here's a good one: ICW and the Bahamas You can download their PDF and read it like a book.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 19:36   #11

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Two areas you will have some shallow spots. Jekyll Creek and the Coosaw Cut just north of Beaufort. Plenty of info on cruisersnet.net and if you can transit those areas at high tide you won't have any problems. There were some reports on the intersection near McClellanville but haven't heard anything recently and we found plenty of water there when we went through. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 20:26   #12

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Besides really planning it out, ie: transiting shoal areas like Jekyll Creek at higher water, etc -- slowing down really helps when water gets skinny. If you have a soft grounding you can kedge off and figure out your mistake and be on your way.

The forecast is not really good for a couple of days if you are looking for an easy trip south. Hopefully it will ease up soon. Take your time and travel in fair weather and you'll be just fine.

Watch the currents in Wappoo creek, leaving Charleston.

Have to agree with Roverhi on preferred method to get south, but I also enjoy my time on the ICW. Would not even think about going near any of our NC/SC inlets for a couple more days though, it's gonna be honking out there.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 21:09   #13

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

What DeepFrz said. Get the towing insurance before you go. The insurance is very cheap. Uninsured tows are VERY expensive. Can easily get to a thousand bucks. Everybody goes aground some time. You want to be insured when it is your turn.

The good news is that the only thing likely to be damaged in ICW mud groundings is your pride and maybe your wallet.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 16:43   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 393

+1 for tow boat insurance.

ICW is very tiresome in my opinion. Nice things to see at times though. I prefer going offshore as well. It's much more relaxing. Right now I would probably be looking for a place to hunker down for a few days though and let Sandy pass you and let the seas calm down.

Most of the time I am never more than 10 miles off shore going down the coast. And I could be closer if I didn't try to stay on the rhumb line.

I had not sailed in years and was nervous at first getting out there, but once I was it was great. Way safer and easier than the ICW. I let Auto do all the work and I play guitar in the cockpit.

Cheers,
Mike
mikepmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 17:54   #15

If you read the water way guides and the online forums the amount of negative info will overcome your spirit. Get the cheap(compared to out of your pocket)towing insurance, pay attention to the floating aids ( these are the ones the CG moves) use your common sense( if you see the water humping up, it is bad) and go at a pace that suits you. We draw 5 ft and haven't stuck to the bottom while in the channel ever. All our groundings, we have had 2, were caused by lack of attention or trying to avoid a collision.

Tags
beaufort, georgetown, icw