Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2015, 20:52   #1

PPG ABC3 bottom paint

I've heard good things about this bottom paint. Any body with experience with it?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Lostkozz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 04:52   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: PPG ABC3 bottom paint

According to ➥ Mailport: February 2013 - Practical Sailor Print Edition Article

“... ABC3 is made by PPG Protective and Marine Coatings (PMC Global - PPG Protective & Marine Coatings), a global company head-quartered in Pittsburgh, Penn. PPG’s products, which include the Amercoat and Sigma lines, are generally marketed for commercial and military ships, not recreational fiberglass boats.
ABC3 is a high-performance, tin-free ablative with controlled self-polishing. One thing to keep in mind with these types of paints (epoxy ester resin mixed with a rosin), which were designed for working commercial ships, is that they tend to crack and flake when they’ve been left out of the water for long periods, like during winter storage ..."

See also ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...int-82233.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 07:31   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

I put it on, sailed for 6 months in hot salt water, left the boat in hot fresh water for 6 months sailed for another 6 months in hot saltwater and it was still working fine at the end of this.
This is my first time using an ablative and I am happy with it.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 10:06   #4

I applied abc 3 mid-December, 2014. The boat has been mostly unused since then tethered to a mooring in salt water. Aside from an accumulation of slime, no barnacles or grass growth is evident up to the waterline.

Haven't a clue as to what's going on unseen farther down on the hull. Visibility is very poor, so until her first bottom cleaning there isn't much more I can say.

The paint is available from go2marine for under $140/gallon.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 11:32   #5

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

depending where you are there may be regulatory issues, some commercial antifoulings are not allowed for recreational sailors. It sound like a bummer but is justified in that most commercial ships spend 90% of there time at sea where antifoul toxin buildup is not an issue. Most pleasure boats spend 90% of their time on the dock where it is. Commercial products often have much higher levels and more toxic biocides
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 14:53   #6

Boat: Neel 45 trimaran,and 50’ steel trawler

Hi
I have been using ABC for the past decade applying it every year on our deep sea commercial fishing vessel (steel)
Great product the sea temp in our area ranges from 12-21degrees,
Our vessel is stationary for a month every year and has slime build up but once we go to sea it seems to self polish.
Its more expensive but we seem to hold our speed for an extra 3-4 months over other similar brands out there.
Cannot comment on flaking when left out of water for several months.
Hope thi is helpful
cheers
Galues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 15:17   #7

Boat: Van de Stadt Pioneer 930-9.3m

I've been using it for many years and will use nothing else. My boat comes out of the water on a large launching trailer between uses and I only need to antifoul every 6 years with this stuff. In water would be every 2 years. I highly recommend ABC3.
Tibor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 20:14   #8
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
...some commercial antifoulings are not allowed for recreational sailors.
Really? Name one.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 07:26   #9

Boat: Cheoy Lee 43 Pilothouse Ketch

We won 10 litres at the Shag Islet Cruising Yacht Club rendeveaus last year and bought a further 10 litres which we applied in Nov 14 with 3 coats overall by hand. Had the bottom wiped over 2 months ago and only slime came off, no other growth. Our boat is in sub tropical salt water all the time and ABC3 seems to be holding up well. I expect to get at least 18 months out of it before recoating. I will sure do me for the future
Johnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 07:47   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I have about 2 gallons I'll sell you for $60 per gallon. Located in St Augustine. I personally will not use it again.
Old 20-05-2015, 09:03   #11

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
----One thing to keep in mind with these types of paints (epoxy ester resin mixed with a rosin), which were designed for working commercial ships, is that they tend to crack and flake when they’ve been left out of the water for long periods, like during winter storage ..."
---
Interestingly, the fellow who originally introduced me to Ameron ABC3 years ago said one thing he liked about it was that he could leave his boat out of the water for several months, abrade the paint lightly, put the boat back in the water and the paint still worked very well. This was in the Florida keys.
I don't have any direct experience along those lines, so your results may not be the same as his.

Anyway, I've been using the paint for years, primarily in Florida and the Bahamas, and I'm very happy with it.
Old 20-05-2015, 09:15   #12
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

The info about ABC3 link that GordMay provided seems to be inaccurate. Ablatives (like ABC3) can withstand prolonged exposure to air. Hard paints typically cannot.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint