Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2015, 16:07   #1

Boat: Pacific 38 38 feet
Power survivor 35

Has anyone fitted the motor of a PUR 35 to a manual survivor 35?
I have an old PUR 35 with perfectly good motor but the pump won't make pressure. I also have a Katadyn Manual Survivor 2007 model, never used. Is there any reason I can't fit the old motor to the new pump?
I can see two differences: 1] the hose fittings and 2] the four long bolts that hold the pump body together along with the pump handle of the manual pump and the motor of the old PUR 35 are different. I believe I can solve both. Your thoughts, suggestions and cautions are all welcome. Thanks David
David D Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 05:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Power survivor 35

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, David.

See http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ser-40828.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 22:20   #3

Re: Power survivor 35

(see attached jpg)
I performed the replacement you are contemplating after the unit failed subsequent to 9 months of frequent use during a trans-Pacific passage in 2009. (The shuttle valve retainer threads fatigued - red circle) I had the added complication that the 'new' membrane that came with the manual unit assembly was defective so my final configuration included the old front housing (blue circle) and membrane tube. I chose to use the manual unit's raw water feed and brine discharge tubing. Not as elegant an installation as the original with the hard plastic manifold (black circle) but satisfactory for the occasional use profile since cruising local waters of Australia. After removing all the manual paraphernalia, the unit assembled as described by the overhaul instructions in the manual for the electric motor version. The unit tested satisfactory. We found the Survivor 35 capacity satisfactory for our 2 person crew aboard our 41 foot Tartan. (90 gallons storage and used 3 to 4 gallons per day when on transit) We never had to fill tanks from shore sources though we chose to do so at couple of stops. I would replace the 35E with the 40E should we choose blue water cruising in the future. The material used in the 35 construction is not tough enough for cruising though is quite satisfactory for short term use while awaiting rescue or occasional local water excursions. CHEERS! LAEL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Maker Refit.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	99887  
Painted Skies is offline   Reply With Quote