Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2017, 04:46   #16

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop
Re: Poorly marked lobster pots

As a practical matter getting struggling fishermen to buy sophisticated equipment for the convenience of 'rich yachties' is probably a non starter for the general public, law enforcement or politicians. Crab pots can be a pain but so are many things in life. We might be better off reserving our fire for doable objectives such as fighting overly restrictive anchoring regulations.

Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:48   #17

Wouldn't it be easier to report the well marked pots?

There are a heck of a lot fewer of them to keep track of.

valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:06   #18

Boat: Camano Troll

Like wakes. trap markers are a part of boating. You can bitch about them but you can't do anything about them.

Keep a sharp lookout for them and steer clear of them. Slow down if you have to.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:39   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: The boat: Cowes (Winter), Above 60N (Summer); me: somewhere in the air!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
As a practical matter getting struggling fishermen to buy sophisticated equipment for the convenience of 'rich yachties' is probably a non starter for the general public, law enforcement or politicians. Crab pots can be a pain but so are many things in life. We might be better off reserving our fire for doable objectives such as fighting overly restrictive anchoring regulations.
Thanks; this is of course an important perspective.

But I don't think that the "convenience of rich yachties" is what is really the main point here. Getting entangled with pots causes damage to any kind of vessel, and can even be dangerous. It also destroys the fishing gear, so the fishermen also lose. It harms the fisheries, because the pots are left on the bottom to "ghost fish". I think it's a really worthwhile objective to try to improve this situation, without of course, putting an unrealistic burden on struggling fishermen. The key would be getting the transmitters to be cheap enough, and I think that's got to be realistically possible.

As RWidman says -- of course, avoiding pots are a fact of life. That's why I have a rope cutter, why I try to stay far offshore as much as possible, when I'm sailing at night (preferably out of sight of land), and why I keep a really especially careful watch when I'm close to shore. But that shouldn't stop us from dreaming of improving the situation.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:11   #20

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
Hi All,
Here in the UK around the East Coast we have many poorly marked lobster pots, mostly only using any old 5L plastic can to mark them, and often trailing floating recovery lines. These are difficult to see, and a real hazard to any boat.

I understand that fishermen are trying to make a living, but their activities when unprofessional are a hazard, and if they will not take a responsible approach then legislation is the only way ahead. Please report any poorly marked pot/tackle markers.
Having been a commercial fisherman I understand feeling like the ocean belongs to those who are out there every day making their living. By this philosophy if amateurs get into trouble it's their own fault. From where I stand fisherman are subject to the same considerations for other mariners as everyone else. A recent post on this forum chronicled a family who crashed into a black,unlit, water level, plastic and metal commercial fish farm corral at night resulting in severe damage to their vessel. Completely irresponsible behavior on the part of the commercial enterprise. A few months ago we were sailing around the tip of Anguilla in 18-20kts with choppy seas in a rain squall with limited visibility. I almost ran over two traps strung together 100' apart and marked by white milk jugs which were almost invisible in the chop. Fortunately my daughter on alert watch pointed them out in time to change course. If I run into an unmarked and/or unlit hazard to navigation that is deliberately placed there by another mariner with no regard to my safety or my equipment then I show them the same consideration. Once I get unstuck, I will haul their offending gear aboard, cut it loose and commit it to the deep. "Sorry you couldn't find your trap. Btw, you owe me a new prop."
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:54   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nani Kai View Post
............... If I run into an unmarked and/or unlit hazard to navigation that is deliberately placed there by another mariner with no regard to my safety or my equipment then I show them the same consideration. Once I get unstuck, I will haul their offending gear aboard, cut it loose and commit it to the deep. "Sorry you couldn't find your trap. Btw, you owe me a new prop."
You may or may not know this and you may or may not care, but in many places, including most of the USA, "tampering" with commercial traps or pots is a pretty serious offence (it's illegal). You could find yourself in serious trouble. The waterman won't know you destroyed his trap and won't know that you were "teaching him a lesson". All that will happen is, a trap full of crabs or lobsters will die and go to waste. Cutting the line is childish and accomplishes nothing.

Commercial watermen don't place their traps to obstruct you, they place them where they expect the fish, lobster, crabs, etc. to be. And they don't consider themselves to be "mariners", they consider themselves to be watermen, crabbers, fishermen, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I am annoyed by trap floats in the channel as much as anyone but there's nothing either you or I can do about it. Commercial fishing, crabbing, lobstering, etc. has been around far longer than recreational boating. It's a tradition and it's something you and all boaters have to deal with. Including me.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:06   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I have to say I for one would hope that AIS transmitters are never placed on pot floats. Can you imagine the clutter on ones chartplotter with thousands of AIS transmitters per square mile? One would have to suppress the AIS display, thus defeating the purpose of having AIS in the first place. Just having them on navigation markers in some places clutters up the display almost to the point of not being usable.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:56   #23

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
And they don't consider themselves to be "mariners", they consider themselves to be watermen, crabbers, fishermen, etc.
Call themselves what they like, it shouldn't mean head off, pumpkin on and common sense out the window as is often the case.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:13   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Call themselves what they like, it shouldn't mean head off, pumpkin on and common sense out the window as is often the case.
Huh?

That makes no sense.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:50   #25

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Commercial watermen don't place their traps to obstruct you, they place them where they expect the fish, lobster, crabs, etc. to be.
That's a wonderful rationalization for putting pots in marked channels, especially those explicitly marked as float-free channels. Those watermen who do so don't care about anyone except themselves.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:56   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
That's a wonderful rationalization for putting pots in marked channels, especially those explicitly marked as float-free channels. Those watermen who do so don't care about anyone except themselves.
Perhaps, but that doesn't change anything and won't change anything. It's something you'll have to learn to live with.
Old 10-09-2017, 14:07   #27

Quote:
Perhaps, but that doesn't change anything and won't change anything. It's something you'll have to learn to live with.
I live with it by calling DNRP with lats and lons.
Old 10-09-2017, 14:47   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
I live with it by calling DNRP with lats and lons.
Good for you. The pot markers will still be there a week after your call.
Old 10-09-2017, 14:50   #29

Here on the MD Chesapeake we have serious programs to retrieve ghost pots and pots dropped were they aren't supposed to be. Watermen get paid to haul them. It works great.
Old 10-09-2017, 16:35   #30

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Huh?

That makes no sense.
Really?

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote