Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 21:44   #1

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Please Tell Me this Will All Be Worth it . . .

I'm tired.
We've been confined to a boatyard in Alameda for 9 weeks now and we have at least another 2-3 weeks of work before we can head south. I've lost 20 pounds and my wife 15. My son is always dirty now. We don't even care about our appearances anymore. All of my clothes are trashed. I wore out a pair of shoes in 5 weeks.
I'm dirty and hungry and we're all sick of being hungry because it's always a hassle to go make some food or go buy some food.
I know that we're almost done but I need a bit of propping up tonight.
Our plan is to go to Mexico about the same time as the Baja Haha folks and spend the winter in the Sea of Cortez and maybe beyond and longer if the money holds out.
Please tell me how great this is going to be.
BTW, in spite of all of my whining, I still can't believe that we're lucky enough to have a great boat that's capable of anything.
Old 01-09-2011, 23:07   #2

Boat: Custom
Re: Please tell me this will all be worth it!

Of course it's worth it

You are "living the dream"

Enjoy it while it lasts

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 23:30   #3

Boat: looking

You're on the home stretch! Plenty of time to rest in Mexico. Keep your eyes on the horizon. Ra-ra-ra-rah!
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 23:48   #4

Boat: Roberts, C45 Spray - EDM

just repeat the phrase "Living the dream" .....

However.... if it is becoming a nightmare - maybe time to evaluate the situation before it becomes worse.

Just as living in a big city is not for everyone.... so too - living on-board may not be for you.

I'm sure 000's of people (on this site) will flame me for saying that..... but it sometimes requires more courage to admit defeat - rather than follow the peer-pressure that would will find here.
deepstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:30   #5

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

The bright work well what alot off work looks good very good. dont get down take a day off and go hiking (i take it you like that I looked at your photos) ect in a couple of weeks it will be behind you but take a day now to be with family and friends.

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:35   #6

On two tracks south been there, done that, almost burnt out in the process. What worked for us was: take breaks.

Yes, breaks will take away from the precious boat prep time, but they will keep you and your family mentally stable. Go for ice cream or some food to some park or waterfront and while at it do not talk or think about what still needs to be done. Just enjoy the moment, ice cream, and your family. Talk about random things. Laugh.

Otherwise once you're on the cruise you'll be recuperating for the first few days or weeks. Is that how you want to start "living your dream"? And if something goes wrong at that point (as all things do at some point) you might have a breakdown then. Avoid it, take breaks. The "lost" time will be worth it at the end.

Good luck!
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:04   #7

Boat: Leopard catamaran, 43'
I sure hope so. We are in a similar situation preparing for a 6 month cruise. We are 4 weeks away and have been working like dogs to get things done. Don't care what I look like anymore, go to bed dirty, exhausted and hungry. But the light is getting brighter and soon will be relaxing on the water.
Bill6878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:54   #8

Boat: Young Sun 35' Annapolis Mackinaw Cutter

I know you're REALLY trying to get things done and you're on a schedule but, yes, TAKE A BREAK!!

Take an entire day (and maybe a night) away from the boat. Explore, treat yourselves to some good food, get some rest, etc.

You need it and you deserve it! It'll make the whole experience much, much better.

Fair winds!

Nick
Seadogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:09   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Right across the estuary is Mexico. Go visit Oakland, and anywhere on International Blvd are plentiful, and cheap Mexican restaraunts. Plus you will get a chance to sharpen your Spanish, or hand language. If you're Sven's take the High St. Bridge into the heart of Mexico

Hang in there! It always seems like you never see the end of the tunnel, but sooner, or later it appears....been there, and done that.....i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:45   #10

Boat: O'Day 28

"It's a hard knock life" in the boatyard. You're building up your story supply to be told over cervesas fria. Persevere.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:45   #11

Well, Im sitting behind a desk just dreaming of what your doing. Think of the alternatives. Boss's putting you down, deadlines, quota's. Even great things have there difficult moments. The time and hard work preparing your boat are as valuable as the time you will share with your family on it.
diverdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:00   #12

Re: Please Tell Me this Will All Be Worth it . . .

This is one reason why life aboard a boat does not lend itself well to hard and fast schedules.

And I can't tell you that it will be worth it. I can only tell you that it would be worth it to me. The only one who can tell you that it will be worth it, and bring any value in the telling, is YOU!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote