Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2017, 10:49   #1

Please help with my 50th bday trip

I am planning a trip for late July early Aug. I have sailed the BVI many times so want to travel a different area. Thoughts? I was thinking the abacos or st martin. I will need a fun captain and a boat. We likes CATs.
Which area would you recommend? Who to reach out to for a boat. Any owner time for boat rental? I like the BVI a lot as well as secluded areas. Help please
Bama girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:57   #2

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Please help with my 50th bday trip

Late July early August is in the hurricane season. A lot of places will be closed then I think. To avoid big storms I would think maybe further south. ABCs or possibly Grenada. Look for places out of the zone unless you are ok with off season travel.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:10   #3

Have u sailed those islands
Old 08-04-2017, 12:17   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

in cane season places donot close they become sparsely populated by amurikins.
just watch your weather window and find safety when you see the monster is about a week out. learn the cane holes and what the local sailors do. and fishermen. what they do is what you should listen to most.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 19:00   #5

Boat: Cooper 42'

Come to westcoast, plenty of places and Islands to see. Anacortes up north out of Seattle and the Sound, the Columbia River for Portland, the Bay for, well the Frisco area, then the Channel Islands off So. Cal. all are beautiful and different..
Old 09-04-2017, 03:00   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bama girl.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:37   #7

Boat: Tartan 3000

Try the moorings, they charter in the BVI.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:33   #8

Thanks for the suggestions. I really think I want to hit st martin. I just need a boat and a captain. Do you know any?
Old 09-04-2017, 07:19   #9

Boat: Currently in between

What are your party plans? Secluded coves to be away from it all or at/near bars and restaurants each night? Also how many in your party may be useful, is it 1, 2 or a bunch?

Approximate age may help when you say you want a fun captain. A fun 40 or 50 year old may not be so much fun to an early 20s group!

Oops, just saw you said "50th Birthday" so that helps a bunch!
Old 09-04-2017, 07:46   #10

We are all around 40 to 50. Fun group not old fifty. More like fabulous 50��. I have never been to st martin but done bvi 7 times. We love the willie Ts in st martin, the baths, whites bay is great. We want bars but not hip hop dancing more beach bars like bvi, secluded areas to. We will have about 7 people. We have not got the boat yet. Wanted recommendations on that too. We usually go through owners time. Haven't found any yet. We are looking for a CAT. Thoughts on July for sailing in St martin?
Old 09-04-2017, 08:53   #11
Marine Service Provider

Grenada is still good that time of year. We would be happy to put together a trip for you in Grenada and the Grenadines. One good option would be to go one way from St. Lucia to Grenada and hit the Grenadines along the way. Our website is mostly focused on Sailing School - but we also do skippered charters. Let me know if you have any questions. You can email me directly: Chris@LTDsailing.com
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:21   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDsailing View Post
Grenada is still good that time of year. We would be happy to put together a trip for you in Grenada and the Grenadines. One good option would be to go one way from St. Lucia to Grenada and hit the Grenadines along the way. Our website is mostly focused on Sailing School - but we also do skippered charters. Let me know if you have any questions. You can email me directly: Chris@LTDsailing.com
I would second the Windwards/Grenadines suggestion - my own 50th birthday was spent sailing there (the actual day, in Salt Whistle Bay, Mayreau); and while it is hurricane season everywhere, that region gets fewer and tends to have consistent tradewinds and, the vast majority of the time, great (if a little warmer and more humid) weather.

We kept our cat in St. Vincent for 8 years, and never had a summertime guest unhappy. After having sailed her to just about every significant island between Grenada and Abaco, the Windwards is my favorite area. You could have a great trip and just in the Grenadines, or if you want more sailing and have the time include St. Lucia (between the Pitons is perhaps my favorite anchorage anywhere). Or with still more time, extend it to include Martinique and even Dominica.....

Kevin

While he is a "commercial" poster Chris also comes highly recommended. I have no connection with his current business but had the pleasure of getting to know him some while he was running the sailing school where our boat was kept.
wcapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:49   #13

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34

That time of year I would choose the coast of Maine/East Coast Canada. If it was a cooler time of year I would choose Grenadines but too hot in July-August. Many opportunities in Maine.. only issue is: only a week - Penobscot Bay - Casco Bay ... so many islands... so many nice towns! However ... f you want to swim ... you must be hardy!
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:57   #14

Boat: hydrostream

Thanks for the suggestions. I really think I want to hit st martin. I just need a boat and a captain. Do you know any?

You could try Rick Moore over on youtube.. that seems to be his turf..
Old 09-04-2017, 10:05   #15

Does that area have beach bars and restaurants? Is it very secluded? I really love the bvi but have done that route 7 times. I am looking for a place like that area. Abacos, st martin etc? I have to do July time frame. Thoughts suggestions?

Tags
lease