Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2017, 11:36   #16

Re: Please help with my 50th bday trip

I would "third" St. Vincent and the Grenadines. It's all about graduating from the BVI and moving up to a bit more adventure with fewer tourists and bigger water.
bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:39   #17

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama girl View Post
Does that area have beach bars and restaurants? Is it very secluded? I really love the bvi but have done that route 7 times. I am looking for a place like that area. Abacos, st martin etc? I have to do July time frame. Thoughts suggestions?
Another plug for the Pacific NW... San Juan Islands, Gulf Islands of Canada. Perfect time to visit. Largest boat charter area in the continental USA so getting a captain not a problem. Zero humidity, 75 to 85 F, empty island marine state parks to explore, and phenomenal seaside hotels with outdoor pools to visit. See Poets Cove Resort on Pender Island, Rosario Resort on Orcas Island, Suscia Island in USA. Can recommend a captain and boat if you want, PM me if interested.
camel2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:47   #18

We've done Abaco several times during August. Hurricanes and tropical waves make it a riskier destination at that time of year but we've always had beautiful weather and warm water.

Abaco offers something a little different than the BVIs. Some great beach bars but also much more opportunity to get away from crowds if that's your thing. And lots of excellent snorkeling!

I don't have any recommendations for a captain, but you could try Cruise Abaco and I'm sure they could set you up with someone.

Amy
Swifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 13:42   #19

What r they like? Beach bars? Restaurants or just secluded islands?
Bama girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 15:00   #20

Boat: bare boat charter world wide

speaking just for us. We stay clear of the Caribbean during hurricane season.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You might think of Australia and sailing the Whitsunday Islands. We have done this twice for about 12 days each trip, and added in lots of neat adventures as well as bare boat chartering. Skippers are available as are catamarans. Whitsunday Escape, Moorings, and Sunsail.

We also SCUBA dived the great barrier reef and the coral sea on both trips on board the Spirit of Freedom 120 foot luxury dive boat ( 4 days ), Also, white water rafted the Tully River, class 5 of 5 when we went with Raging Thunder. We Hiked, and attended other fun adventures....had great times with the aussies, they are super great people.

As to the sailing the Whitsundays, we had some super sailing, as well as amazing snorkeling, quiet peaceful anchorages, beautiful beaches, some partying, but many of the islands are not inhabited or sparcely so. We spent time in Sydney, Carins, and the Queensland coast towns, as well as Cape Tribulation. We were there about the first part of October. Long Airplane Ride, but the party light was lit, and the adventures were fantastic. ( we did 30 plus day visits due to the long distance from LAX, one trip, and Kauai Island on the last visit.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other places that we enjoyed south of the equator

Tahiti, four different sailing vacations, two weeks each split between the Moorings and Sunsail. Bareboating, but they do have skippers available. Riatea, Taha'a, Bora Bora, and Huahine. People were great, and plenty of good times as well. Also, many people just do 7, or 10 days.

Tonga , one trip, we went a bit late in june /july and had a mean low presssure system effecting us slighlty, but great sailing winds, in the Vavau Group. We preferred Tahiti, hence 4 different sailing vacations there.

No matter where we travel, we make our own good time. Life is great !
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our take on Hurricane Season. I know in the Caribbean many charter outfits have a special in Sept. and Oct. 10 days for the price of 7 days. Well, that is nice, but we would not risk all of the precious time and the money to possibly bet whacked by a hurricane in the two worst months for hurricanes. You buys your ticket and takes your chances on that one.

I have made professional careers in both sailing and flying, 35 years, and have a great deal of respect for what mother nature and king neptune can sling at us. So, we wimp out and stay clear of hurricane and typhoon seasons .

In the caribbean , we chose may, the kids are not yet out of school, and before hurricane season begins.

Our caribbean experience is the Abacos, BVI, French West Indies, and the Windwards and Grenadines.......for scoops on islands further south and the path of Hurricanes that come roaring across from Africa, others will have to help you on that one.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A coupe of other ideas.......

IRELAND......two different trips, bareboating a motor vessel up the River Shannon from Portumna, two weeks, thru the locks, and visiting and partying at the small riverside villages, plus a few days in Dublin. The Irish people are fantastic, the fun never stops, the scenes along the river are marvelous. The have huge motor vessels, as well as the smaller 34 footers that Erica and I bareboated.

Weather in Ireland in Sept..Oct....sun, rain ( soft rain they call it ), but it was not a bother, we had a super fun time, visiting castles, hiking, boating, and yes, a wee bit of party time as well.....OK, a lot of party time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy 50th , youngster, spoil yourselves silly . There is a grand and wonderful world out there waiting to welcome you.
bvisailing32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 18:15   #21

Re Abaco - Nippers is the most well-known beach bar. Fun, bright colors right on a beautiful, long beach with a nice reef for snorkeling. Abaco Beach Resort in Marsh Harbor has a great swim-up bar. Cracker P's on Lubber's Quarters has good drinks and food. Abaco Inn and Firefly Resort on Elbow Cay are nice for dinner or happy hour. You'll want to check if they will be open in August - some places will close for a couple of months in late summer, early fall. Further north, you'll find some great spots on Green Turtle and Treasure Cay. We haven't spent as much time up there so I don't have as much info.

One of the things I've noticed is that almost every place in Abaco has a pool that is open to the public as long as you buy a cocktail or two. You don't find that as much in the BVI. Though I love the ocean, it can be very refreshing to rinse off in a pool with a drink in hand.
Old 09-04-2017, 19:20   #22

Thank you very much. What are your thoughts regarding st martin? If you were traveling would you prefer the abacos or st martin more. I have so much to do in a few months. Step one is picking the area. Once that is done then I can move on the finding a boat CAT and then a captain
Bama girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 20:19   #23

I haven't been to St. Martin so I can't compare. Hopefully someone who has been to both can weigh in and give you more info. But if you'd like more info about Abaco, feel free to PM me.

In a nutshell, I think Abaco has similar sailing to the BVI in that you can island hop and stop each day for some great snorkeling or beach activity. But Abaco will offer you something a little different in the topography. The islands are coral/flat like Anegada versus the steep hillsides you find in the BVI. It's fun and challenging to sail in Abaco because it's not always line of sight like you usually get in the BVI. And beautiful water! We really love both!!

Amy
Old 10-04-2017, 16:17   #24
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama girl View Post
Does that area have beach bars and restaurants? Is it very secluded? I really love the bvi but have done that route 7 times. I am looking for a place like that area. Abacos, st martin etc? I have to do July time frame. Thoughts suggestions?
Bama Girl - if you are talking about the Grenadines - there are some great beach bars and restaurants! It isn't really like the BVI - it's better! Well - it depends on what you are looking for. There are less people, less crowded anchorages, less crazy weather in the summer time, more beautiful secluded spots and plenty of really cool restaurants and beach bars. It isn't for everyone, but it is a really great place to sail!

Here is a link to one of our videos. The video is for our ten day sailing school itinerary - but it shows a lot of the places you could visit on a skippered charter also:

Check it out!
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 18:20   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDsailing View Post
Bama Girl - if you are talking about the Grenadines - there are some great beach bars and restaurants! It isn't really like the BVI - it's better! Well - it depends on what you are looking for. There are less people, less crowded anchorages, less crazy weather in the summer time, more beautiful secluded spots and plenty of really cool restaurants and beach bars. It isn't for everyone, but it is a really great place to sail!

Here is a link to one of our videos. The video is for our ten day sailing school itinerary - but it shows a lot of the places you could visit on a skippered charter also:

Check it out!
Nice Video.....but you don't even make it to Bequia, Mustique or Canouan!
wcapital is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease