Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2011, 10:13   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Please Help Me Determine Value of Kompier Yacht

DOJ.... looks to me like someone had been working on the decks.... grouting and re-Sika but something stopped the work....
just needs attacking with a sander to take away the surplus.... a pity they didn't tape it... lose less teak.
What I could see of the side decks looked fine...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 10:20   #32

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Re: Please Help Me Determine Value of Kompier Yacht

Do you all think there could be some value in trying to find at least a functional used replacement for the mast? Perhaps the original poster has all the pieces of the original mast to measure and could network with local boat people to find out if something is available at a reasonable price -- maybe even only several to ten k for something basic and boring? That might make the boat a wee bit more marketable.
Old 31-10-2011, 16:54   #33

Well, all, it is not good news. Had the surveyor out today and he said that it would cost as much to get it up to snuff as it would, in the end, be worth. Not even counting the blood, sweat, and tears. So, I am pondering options. Strip it and consign out the parts and scrap it for the metal (I know many of you just cringed). Sell it to the broker for 20k + moving. That is if he were really making an offer. Sounded more like a pondering to me. Let him piece it out and keep the proceeds and be done with it. There is a lot of very valuable stuff here. Apparently my brother had very good (expensive) taste when he outfitted his boat. Heard today that he just bought brand new sails and never used them. Has a nice winless (not sure about the spelling of that. Phoneticly it's right though.). Has about 10k's worth of wenches in the shed and another 6k's worth on the boat. So, I think it would be a good deal for him or a great deal I'm sure. Maybe if it were a good enough deal, he would actually do the work and Maverick could live on. I'm scared that if I actually scrap it my brother will come back to haunt me.
Anyway, long day filled with too much to think about......think I'll go to bed and make decisions tomorrow. Tonight I will dream of the British Isles. Good night all.
Dee
deec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 17:02   #34

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Dee -- it's not unusual to have to spend X more dollars to fix up a boat that cost you X dollars. So the surveyor didn't really tell you anything profound. What you need to know is, what is X?

Edit: I re-read and now see he's saying spend X dollars to get a boat worth X. So, never mind. . . .

I still think it's a beautiful hull. And if it really has all sorts of valuable parts on it, it's got to be worth something to someone.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 17:32   #35

Boat: Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by deec View Post
Has about 10k's worth of wenches in the shed and another 6k's worth on the boat. So, I think it would be a good deal for him or a great deal I'm sure.
Dee
Wow, 16k of wenches sounds like trouble!

Seriously, sorry for your loss, sometimes the man who knows to fold and walk away is the smartest in the room!

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 00:23   #36

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Windlass, presumably -- a kind of electric or manual winch for retrieving the anchor and its rode (chain and line). Those things can cost one or two boat dollars. (For landlubbers, a boat dollar is equal to a thousand US dollars.)

Someone already noticed the "wenches", grin!

We had a friend who unintentionally caused great merriment when, as he left the bar to head back to the eternal work projects on his boat in the marina, said that he needed to "go lube some winches".
Old 01-11-2011, 03:53   #37

Just curious what the surveyor said about the state of the hull. Is there any significant rust?
Old 01-11-2011, 04:25   #38

Boat: Transpac 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Just curious what the surveyor said about the state of the hull. Is there any significant rust?
Dee, really sorry about your loss, and I can only begin to imagine what it is like not only to go through the grieving process, and at the same time try to deal with the practical matters of an Estate.There has also been some really good advice given here, that will hopefully help ease this situation for you.

Cormorant has aluded to something that I was also wondering.
To that, just a question. Did you pay the Surveyor to come and inspect? If you did, it is normal that a report is produced and given to you. It should outline the conditions of the existing systems, and more importantly the recommendations of what is essential to be done. I realise that this is not a 'normal' yacht in the sense that it is not at a Marina in the water. However if the Surveyor was paid, he has an obligation to give you a report containing an assesment of the yacht at this time. This report can then be used to give to potential buyers, so that they also know what needs to be done.

If the Surveyor did it without reward, then it is clear he has no obligation other than perhaps his/her verbal opinion. I am not sure if it helps at all, but it would be a shame not to be able to get for her what she really is worth.

Skip and Tao have made good points. If there is no hurry to move her, then perhaps you shouldn't. If she is not seaworthy in the sense that she will not float, then the problems become much greater. If you find a buyer, let them do all the footwork, saves you the hassle.

BTW, she has lovely lines, and I am sure that there someone, even here, that is looking for a 'project boat'. We have a classified section here, I am sure that you could put her in there and see what happens.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:45   #39
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Please Help Me Determine Value of Kompier Yacht

Might be an idea to post some of the 'Highlighted' problems then we could maybe give you a more informed opinion....
What is a PITA to someone not looking for a boat for themselves..
can often be a gem to someone who is....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:08   #40

Okay, so pending your reply as to the soundness of the hull, we have on the plus side:

-- working motor
-- new sails!
-- excellent winches and windlass
-- sound steel hull (???)

On the minus side:
-- broken mast
-- probably needs new rigging
-- finish deck repairs
-- new wiring needed?
-- probably a hundred small jobs

I can't second-guess an experienced surveyor who actually saw the boat, but looking at it from a distance, it seems a really attractive project boat. If I lived nearby I would be sorely tempted.

Anyway, good luck, and thank you for giving us a glimpse. Let us know how it all ends up.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:11   #41

Good morning all. The surveyor said that the hull is in good shape. That is about the only thing that is in good shape though. A couple of spots would need to be cut out and re-welded, but still in good shape. Said that maybe I could get 20k.....???? Thought it would take another 60 or 70k to realize full potential.
The boat really does need to be moved. I am selling the property that it sits on and it has to go. However, I do have an interesting prospect. I got a name of someone that was interested in the boat a couple years ago. I tracked him down and he is coming to see the boat AND THE HOUSE today. Says he would need a place to keep the boat while he worked on it. Everyone keep your fingers crossed for us. That would be a miracle for me. Please, please, please. I think I need to make that man the best dang offer that has ever come his way. See what kinda winch I am? O.k., I'm learning. Mostly, thanks to you people. Have I said thank you yet? Probably over done, but really, you all don't know how grateful I am. You are awesome.
I will keep ya posted. Everyone have yourselves a great little day! I'm off to slay a few more dragons.
Dee
Old 01-11-2011, 05:20   #42

What a deal! Buy house + project boat. Live in house while fixing boat. In a year or two, sell house for profit, go sailing. Lucky bastard!

I hope he sees the light. Good luck!
Old 01-11-2011, 05:22   #43

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by deec View Post
Said that maybe I could get 20k.....???? T
Still reckon someone is having a lend of you there considering the value of the bits alone
Wish it was here, I'd drop $20k on the table now.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:17   #44
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I, too, think the vessel has very nice lines and it would be a shame to see her scrapped. I expect that the person who died in the motorcycle accident was also someone who appreciated her potential. Why elso would he have gotten so deeply involved in her restoration?

For that reason, I would guess that he already had a proper evalutaion done on the hull. It will be unnecessary to repeat that process if Dee can find such an evaluation report somewhere in his personal papers. I hope that everything pertaining to the vessel is nicely organized . . . that will make it easier to find if it's there.

If the sails are indeed new, they could be worth $20k themselves. If the paperwork on the vessel is nicely organized, then finding something detailing where and when he purchased them should be in there, along with the price he paid.

I understand the urgency of dealing with this in a timely fashion, Dee, and that you have less than two weeks now before you return to California. If the right way forward for you is to quickly dispose of the project at fire sale prices, then I know you will find another man with a dream of going to sea in a vessel he restored by his own hands.

It may not allow you to sell the project at its true worth, but the bargain you'll provide to another dreaming sailor will increase the odds that the project will be completed and a beautiful vessel will get her feet wet once again.

TaoJones
Old 03-11-2011, 04:28   #45

Good morning. Well, my buyer yesterday didn't seem over joyed with my offer. Said he would only be interested in the boat if I would carry paper on it (not happening) and I would have to drop my price by a lot. ???. The up side is that he seems to be considering the property and seems to be actively seeking someone who might be interested in the boat. I thought he was going to have a stroke when I told him that I was seriously considering a scrapper. If looks could kill.....ouch! Wish I had more time on all this. Next Friday seems to be looming close.
I am wondering if anyone has an idea what that Lewmar windlass 2000 might be worth? I can't find it online and I don't know what a compareable model would be. Looks to me like the volchers are beginning to arrive. I need to be prepared.

Tags
yacht