Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2017, 15:06   #1

Planning a circum nav in 4 years- buy, crew, partner up?

Late 30's guy who has dreamed of a circumnavigation since I was 10 years old. I have saved and starting to plan how to tackle this goal before 45 years old.

I have worked in yacht yards and was a boat builder in my early 20's until I went to corporate America to make $$$.

I have cruised and raced for long weekends and a few week long trips in lakes, near sure and BVI and back to Virginia Beach.

None of my sailing friends are in a place to do this with me.

I am considering dumping $100k - $200k in a 40 - 50ft boat. But before that, I want to hear opinions on if I should look to crew a circumnavigation, or find a partner (not sexual) for this?

I am not scared of single handling, I am guy that surfs hurricanes, skydives, and rock climbs (I am good with fear management). I can also handle the 99% of boredom and being crammed in a tight space with people. But wife would be happier if I did it with others, and she is a "I will fly first class and meet you in nice locations" kind of non-sailer; so she won't be on the boat unless docked / on hook in Fiji like places.

If partner or crew is a choice where do I find these boats or people?

I don't want to be on a power boat, blow boats only. I want a working boat, I am not washing some rich chick's swim suit and putting strawberries in her champagne. (If she is single and owns a brewery with a unmanageable sex drive, I will consider that...joking I promise).

From buying perspective I am looking at monohull boats in 40 - 50ft range. Not 100% set on a OEM yet.

Thanks in advance..
Araq44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 17:04   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Planning a circum nav in 4 years- buy, crew, partner up?

Lots of people take on extra crew for passages. See all the crew ads on CF. Instead of planning a multi-year circumnav with a crew, how 'bout taking it one season at a time. Pickup crew for the Long hauls and see how it goes. Single handing is not for everyone, for others it is the reason to sail.
Old 11-06-2017, 17:42   #3

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon

Latitude 38 - West Coast Circumnavigators' List

Great site check it out if you have not.
Have plotted a course yet? How long are you Guesstamating for completion time? take your time or try to zip around?

I have that circumnavigate itch also. I have been looking a 40'. I would like to stop no more than two days in any spot. Not sure about how many stops though.
Old 11-06-2017, 17:52   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooksFraming View Post

Have plotted a course yet? How long are you Guesstamating for completion time? take your time or try to zip around?

I have that circumnavigate itch also. I have been looking a 40'. I would like to stop no more than two days in any spot. Not sure about how many stops though.
Better pick your stops very carefully as plenty of places can take longer than 2 days to just check in or out.
Old 11-06-2017, 17:52   #5

Boat: Catalina 470

A combination of all three. I've enjoyed single handling and crew and a patner. Sites like find a crew are a good resource. Ive had some amazing crew that are now long term friends I've also had dine not so amazing crew. It all adds to the adventure. Play it by ear.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 18:20   #6

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Better pick your stops very carefully as plenty of places can take longer than 2 days to just check in or out.

Paul Thank you for the heads up I have heard that. I am trying to avoid where it is long distance to check in with custom & immagrations. I working on that,,,The logistics is being a challenge. I do also expect to not run according to a hard schedule. Of course preparing for unexpected repairs / weather. Adapt and overcome....learned that in the Marines

Daletounier I agree...each one has its +'s . I like the Solo idea for sense of accomplishment, I like the crew for comradery.

Araq44 also consider a buddy boat. Even though it would be hard to match sail two different boats.
Where do you plan on starting From?
Picking a crew I would consider.. more than likely you would have different crew for different legs probably. (logistics)
Old 11-06-2017, 19:42   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Lots of people take on extra crew for passages. See all the crew ads on CF. Instead of planning a multi-year circumnav with a crew, how 'bout taking it one season at a time. Pickup crew for the Long hauls and see how it goes. Single handing is not for everyone, for others it is the reason to sail.

Thanks for the info! I think I will break it up with a month back home after every 3 or 4 months. That is the plan now, but plans change so we will see.
Old 11-06-2017, 19:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
A combination of all three. I've enjoyed single handling and crew and a patner. Sites like find a crew are a good resource. Ive had some amazing crew that are now long term friends I've also had dine not so amazing crew. It all adds to the adventure. Play it by ear.

Thanks for info!!
Old 11-06-2017, 19:46   #9

Planning a circum nav in 4 years- buy, crew, partner up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooksFraming View Post

As others stated check in can be more than several days... when ported I imagine I would spend a couple weeks or if time take a month off and fly back to the states to catch up with family and friends...also just keep the marriage a marriage.

Haven't started a route. Most Likely will do a group thing like the ARC or something.

I am not trying to put a time limit because I am so early on the stage of exploring this adventure.
Old 11-06-2017, 19:54   #10

Boat: Catalina 470

Im not sure how anyone can only stop for two days? I get exhausted and stay alot longer at anyone place than two days. Im getting softer with age not tougher..lol
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:01   #11

Boat: Malo 39

Like Araq I have a similar dream coming from a similar high adrenalin background just a little older! It's important to dream...we have to start somewhere. Without the boat the dream will remain a dream,so 2 years ago I "invested" in the boat. One step closer. Slowly I am getting to know the boat ( steps in the right direction) reading lots and dreaming. Read Joshu Sloccum's book which is a great motivator.
My advise, hold on to the dream. Move step by step closer and hopefully the dream will become a reality. If not surely you will have enjoyed the progress.
Martin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:09   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araq44 View Post
Late 30's guy who has dreamed of a circumnavigation since I was 10 years old. I have saved and starting to plan how to tackle this goal before 45 years old.

I have worked in yacht yards and was a boat builder in my early 20's until I went to corporate America to make $$$.

I have cruised and raced for long weekends and a few week long trips in lakes, near sure and BVI and back to Virginia Beach.

None of my sailing friends are in a place to do this with me.

I am considering dumping $100k - $200k in a 40 - 50ft boat. But before that, I want to hear opinions on if I should look to crew a circumnavigation, or find a partner (not sexual) for this?

I am not scared of single handling, I am guy that surfs hurricanes, skydives, and rock climbs (I am good with fear management). I can also handle the 99% of boredom and being crammed in a tight space with people. But wife would be happier if I did it with others, and she is a "I will fly first class and meet you in nice locations" kind of non-sailer; so she won't be on the boat unless docked / on hook in Fiji like places.

If partner or crew is a choice where do I find these boats or people?

I don't want to be on a power boat, blow boats only. I want a working boat, I am not washing some rich chick's swim suit and putting strawberries in her champagne. (If she is single and owns a brewery with a unmanageable sex drive, I will consider that...joking I promise).

From buying perspective I am looking at monohull boats in 40 - 50ft range. Not 100% set on a OEM yet.

Thanks in advance..
A sane question. Compatibility would be my concern either way. Do the best you can vetting the other/others either way. Good luck.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:30   #13

I am planning on doing the same thing with my partner, also in 4 years time. We are currently working in Grenada and St Vincent and the Grenadines as a charter yacht. This is to pay off the yacht, learn about the yacht inside out and add bits as we see appropriate to make the journey more comfortable. We have a Bahia 46 catamaran. We bought it 6 years ago and it is now in far better shape than when we bought it. We are planning on charging a birth fee for each crew and then share the other costs. This way we provide the vessel and hopefully have most of the adventure paid for us. Maybe a dream but we will also have a lump sum in case that does not work out. We plan to do it in around 5 years. So a real adventures, discovering places and investigating them. I am a dive instructor so plan on a lot of diving. We would love to get together with other yachts and have a kind of convoy. No need to be together the whole way but having bbq parties in the middle of no where sounds great. And then there is also the benefit of potential help from others. Our catamaran is called Imagination, a very suitably named yacht. I would like to know how you all progress.
Cheers

Shawn and Ally
shawndear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:52   #14

Boat: Prout

I have been doing something similar to your dreams for the last 5 years
1. Wife been flying out to stratigic places and had wonderful times together.
2. Of you need anything so big? 36 to 40 foot should be ample especialay if needing to store it when returning home.
3.4 years may not be long enough......from UK still only in NZ and like to do a circuit of Pacific
4 consider single handed........everyone is different but for me works well ie dont want "issues" 3 days into a 6 week passage, dont want yacht confiscated and ending up in 3rdworld prison because some idiot has brought illegal susubances on board. Something enjoyable about just you and nature. .......I dont mind dying doing something I enjsoy but dont want to be responsible for anyone else's death.......
Keep dreaming........but not for too long and yes the realities are as good as the dreams.
inchcailloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:44   #15

Boat: a sailing boat

I would actually neither find crew nor partner it.

I would buy solo, get it ready solo. And should any nice soul pop up in the process, I would offer them a joint ride for as long as it is fun to everybody.

Relations with fellow humans can kill any project. So do the project yourself and see the other one as a nice optional extra.

Should a friendly soul NOT pop up along the way, simply take an able crew for the passages of your future.

Sorry if I sound harsh but I have found relations are the main stumbling block in going sailing.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew