Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2017, 13:50   #16

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Planning a circum nav in 4 years- buy, crew, partner up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Better pick your stops very carefully as plenty of places can take longer than 2 days to just check in or out.
That was not our experience. We have entered and left perhaps 40 jurisdictions all over the world and the longest time we spent anywhere was probably around 4 hours (Indonesia comes to mind). Basically pretty painless if not always cheap.
Old 12-06-2017, 18:04   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndear View Post
I am planning on doing the same thing with my partner, also in 4 years time. We are currently working in Grenada and St Vincent and the Grenadines as a charter yacht. This is to pay off the yacht, learn about the yacht inside out and add bits as we see appropriate to make the journey more comfortable. We have a Bahia 46 catamaran. We bought it 6 years ago and it is now in far better shape than when we bought it. We are planning on charging a birth fee for each crew and then share the other costs. This way we provide the vessel and hopefully have most of the adventure paid for us. Maybe a dream but we will also have a lump sum in case that does not work out. We plan to do it in around 5 years. So a real adventures, discovering places and investigating them. I am a dive instructor so plan on a lot of diving. We would love to get together with other yachts and have a kind of convoy. No need to be together the whole way but having bbq parties in the middle of no where sounds great. And then there is also the benefit of potential help from others. Our catamaran is called Imagination, a very suitably named yacht. I would like to know how you all progress.
Cheers

Shawn and Ally

Wish you guys the best, who knows...maybe I will take a berth in due time!
Araq44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 18:05   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I would actually neither find crew nor partner it.

I would buy solo, get it ready solo. And should any nice soul pop up in the process, I would offer them a joint ride for as long as it is fun to everybody.

Relations with fellow humans can kill any project. So do the project yourself and see the other one as a nice optional extra.

Should a friendly soul NOT pop up along the way, simply take an able crew for the passages of your future.

Sorry if I sound harsh but I have found relations are the main stumbling block in going sailing.

Cheers,
b.

I get along well with 95% of the population, but I get what you are saying. Not falling on deaf ears.
Old 12-06-2017, 18:12   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchcailloch View Post
I have been doing something similar to your dreams for the last 5 years

1. Wife been flying out to stratigic places and had wonderful times together.

2. Of you need anything so big? 36 to 40 foot should be ample especialay if needing to store it when returning home.

3.4 years may not be long enough......from UK still only in NZ and like to do a circuit of Pacific

4 consider single handed........everyone is different but for me works well ie dont want "issues" 3 days into a 6 week passage, dont want yacht confiscated and ending up in 3rdworld prison because some idiot has brought illegal susubances on board. Something enjoyable about just you and nature. .......I dont mind dying doing something I enjsoy but dont want to be responsible for anyone else's death.......

Keep dreaming........but not for too long and yes the realities are as good as the dreams.

1. Glad to hear it is possible!

2. The reason for size is most likely I would keep the vessel for a long time after as a 2nd 3rd home kind of thing. Plus I like sailing bigger boats....no idea why just do. Kind of like I still prefer a manual transmissions in my sports cars even though modern auto transmissions are now better.

3. Timing was, in 4 years I will set off on this journey, no idea of time of the "passage" trying to keep that part open ended in this point of my planning.

4. You outlined my "single handed reasons" trusting someone not to try to sneak drugs, guns, etc on boat and the man vs nature part too!!!

5. Realities can be as good as the Dream!! But, when I finally got the head cheerleader as a g/f in school I instantly regretted the 6 months of work I put in. But only one way to find out!!!
Old 12-06-2017, 22:33   #20

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
That was not our experience. We have entered and left perhaps 40 jurisdictions all over the world and the longest time we spent anywhere was probably around 4 hours (Indonesia comes to mind). Basically pretty painless if not always cheap.
We just checked into Fiji two weeks ago. Arrived on Sunday morning, got our Cruising Permit signed off on Wed afternoon. Just an example. Since you have to send the Cruising Permit request to the capital, Suva, for approval and await their response, after clearing Health, Customs, Biosecurity and Immigration, it would be hard to get it all done in half a day. Just an example, I've got plenty more. Costa Rica comes to mind.
Old 13-06-2017, 05:45   #21

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I would actually neither find crew nor partner it.

I would buy solo, get it ready solo. And should any nice soul pop up in the process, I would offer them a joint ride for as long as it is fun to everybody.
Very well put, mate!

+1

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 06:46   #22

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2

Guy next to me at the moment just bought an Oyster for 80 thousand Euros 48ft long.
He got a lot of boat for his money. You dont need to spend 100 to 200 grand on a boat.
Get down the local boat yards there are loads of good looking capable boats sitting there where the owner has spent too long building it for a circumnavigation and then realised he is too old to do it. You can pick up a boat half the cost of what it would bleed you to get one upto scratch..
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew