Old 09-08-2012, 16:09   #211

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Pitch In And Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
"...anxious to raise the sails and go."

You go Jay!

You can take that however you want.

I noticed from the video he thinks it's only be about 10K to get the boat ready to go.............
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 16:26   #212

I have been following this thread buy this is my first post. Kudos to Knothead for taking the bull by the horn and getting something done. I know there are so many people that are down and out right now and could use a helping hand. You did the right thing. I pray that this act of kindness will give Jay a lot to think about. I will contact the vets office and help out with the bill so that this dog may continue to get the care it needs. I would hope that he not be released to Jay unless he is able to care for him properly. I am an animal lover and can only hope that the dog will get as much help as Jay has.
Suzybro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 17:20   #213
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
Jay is not an isolated situation. Ive been around the tampa bay area for nearly 30 years. I could point to a dozen places that hold a population of people who would be homeless living in the bushes or in shelters if it werent for the derelict vessels they call home. Yes their sanitation isnt to par, no theres often no electric for anchor lights are they really causing more problems than if they were living in homeless camps under tarps? Pinellas county has been waging a war against homeless people for a long time. Look at how much money they invested to put in a mooring field in vinoy basin to drive out the liveaboard population. Ive seen one boat in there for a short period of time since it has been open. It sis empty just the way vinoy hotel wanted it. all this disgust and ranting about Jay and his shelter is the same old song with Jay in the spotlight.

Here's the thing. If I'm living in a homeless shelter -- or in a box on the street -- my box, or cot, is not going to come crashing into your boat when we inevitably have another bad storm. I'm not going to damage or even destroy your most cherished possession. I won't put that "dream of a lifetime" trip you were planning in two weeks in jeopardy. I'm not pooping in the water your children play in. I'm not abusing any animals.

This is not a "war on homelessness." There is a certain minimum standard to which you must keep your home if you're going to live around other people. There is a certain minimum standard you must keep your boat at if you're going to keep it where other boats or property is at risk.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:18   #214

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Originally Posted by forsailbyowner
Jay is not an isolated situation. Ive been around the tampa bay area for nearly 30 years. I could point to a dozen places that hold a population of people who would be homeless living in the bushes or in shelters if it werent for the derelict vessels they call home. Yes their sanitation isnt to par, no theres often no electric for anchor lights are they really causing more problems than if they were living in homeless camps under tarps? Pinellas county has been waging a war against homeless people for a long time. Look at how much money they invested to put in a mooring field in vinoy basin to drive out the liveaboard population. Ive seen one boat in there for a short period of time since it has been open. It sis empty just the way vinoy hotel wanted it. all this disgust and ranting about Jay and his shelter is the same old song with Jay in the spotlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Here's the thing. If I'm living in a homeless shelter -- or in a box on the street -- my box, or cot, is not going to come crashing into your boat when we inevitably have another bad storm. I'm not going to damage or even destroy your most cherished possession. I won't put that "dream of a lifetime" trip you were planning in two weeks in jeopardy. I'm not pooping in the water your children play in. I'm not abusing any animals.

This is not a "war on homelessness." There is a certain minimum standard to which you must keep your home if you're going to live around other people. There is a certain minimum standard you must keep your boat at if you're going to keep it where other boats or property is at risk.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:26   #215

Boat: Pearson 26

I watched that interview with Jay, and read his quotes in the latest articles, and I don't see one shred of truth or a mea culpa in any of it - for anything: the condition of his dog, his boat, or even the fact that he got clocked by a total stranger "for no reason".

He uses people and fabricates an alternate reality in which he's always the victim.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:30   #216
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Quote:

nice rant, It's not a war on homelessness, that would be a good thing Its a war on the homeless.

When we get a gulley washer and the treatment plants dump raw sewage in the bay you sure are pooping in the water children play in.

never heard the exact cause of the grounding. was it chafe? dragged mooring? chain wore through? anybody know
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:21   #217

Boat: 1984 Johnson Boatworks Inland Scow, 20' and a 1975 sailMFG Bandit 19 Pocket Cruiser

As I understand it, the anchors tore loose in a tropical storm and he had no motive power and can't raise sail due to a cracked mast.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:04   #218

Boat: Ed Hostman Tristar 38 Trimaran

Jay's boat has been anchored in the spot it was in for around a year or so. It had anchors in tandem and rode out some storms that put other boats ashore on at least three occasions I witnessed. He also had lights because without them he would continually get boarded. He may have lived in scary conditions from our perspectives and had an eye sore of a boat but he had tackle down. I don't know if there was corrosion on the chains or if he had switched to rhode for some reason. All I know is that he wasn't just hanging off a hook.

I know this won't affect people's opinion that want him out but I figured I'd let a little truth bleed through...

I spoke with Jay yesterday and he now wants to sell his boat to get an RV and travel by land for a while! He is going to clean the boat to get ready to trade/sell and move on. I think he is making a wise decision and we can only hope that someone with a deep wallet can take the project on and bring the boat back. It is a pretty big boat. In its day it was a stellar boat. Maybe it will see more days like that in the near future.
CapnBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:07   #219

Boat: PETERSON 44
A bunch of boats in my semi posh mooring field have no attention. I watch as the rhodes cross up on the main rhode or chafe on anchors. Yes they break loose on occasion. They put me at risk. But they are established bright people. Sometimes I try to mention what I saw. Sometimes I have jumped their boats and added lines or tied down their flapping sails. There no better then jay in my view. Just more common. But no one is bitching about the numerous poorly moored boats that a doctor owns.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:55   #220

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
But no one is bitching about the numerous poorly moored boats that a doctor owns.
Some of us feel the same way towards those hazards too.

Are the doctors pooping over the side too? Shame on them.
Old 11-08-2012, 14:22   #221
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
As I understand it, the anchors tore loose in a tropical storm and he had no motive power and can't raise sail due to a cracked mast.

Tom, that TS was very mild where his boat was.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 14:58   #222

Boat: Nor Sea 27'

I'm sorry, but there is nothing mild about a tropical storm. Even here in Gulfport.
I'm not suggesting that a properly anchored boat could not or should not have been able to ride it out. Just saying that it was a pretty substantial storm.
I've ridden out similar ones and didn't enjoy the experience much.

But, there is good news people. We should be gladdened. Capt'n Brown has spoken to Jay and reports that Jay is truly reevaluating his situation.
I would really like to see Jay get his life on track. If it takes a land yacht. Great. I wish him the best.

There is another thread going about derelict boats and irresponsible boater in Florida if you feel the desire to debate it, but please, lets keep this one free from the pointlessness of that debate and open for further updates on this specific case.

You all know that if a thread gets too hot it gets closed down.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 11-08-2012, 20:11   #223

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

I was in Tampa this past week and was able to connect with Knothead, who took me and a friend out for a sail.

What a gentleman! What you see and read on here is the same as he is in person; someone who is passionate about sailing and has a strong sense of community, and not only to the sailing one. Bonus was the time spent with Knothead and his wife, as well as a few friends who came by. We are so grateful for the invitation for supper.

When you look up the definition of "good people", I am sure Wikipedia simply says, see "Knothead".

Here is a picture of svPromise at anchor. It is not seaworthy, but at least it is safe for the time being. Hopefully it will be moved on the hard to either be fixed or disposed of.

It was sad to see that svPromise was not the only derelict boat. We sailed by one whose rode is not long for this world, another boat was washed up on shore (albeit not on a beach) and a third had sunk and only its mast was showing. I'm not sure what the solution to these issues are, but just as the community came together to move svPromise, it may require some collective brain power to come up with alternatives to boats sitting in plain view that motivates some legislators to further restrict sailing activities.

If the sailing community comes up with a way to self-police itself, that type of restrictive legislation and regulation may be mitigated. As always, it is the tiny minority that cause problem for the greater responsible majority.
Old 11-08-2012, 21:16   #224

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

What is the American definition of a storm, Tropical storm,

Minimum wind speed, for both, It will give us a bit of perspective on how strong the wind was on the day,

We dont get tropical storms in the Southern Ocean,

But if there is a storm warning, You just dont go out in it,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 22:21   #225

Boat: Newport 27 S-II

Quote:
Tom, that TS was very mild where his boat was.
Then you weren't here for it. It was a doozy for a TS bordering on Hurricane. At least that's what we experienced.
elliebell is offline   Reply With Quote