Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 06:46   #151

Boat: Privilege 37
Re: Pitch In And Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Here's more video of the successful effort yesterday by Steve (knothead) and the other volunteers in Gulfport:
Video: Volunteers Save Capt. Jay's Boat - Gulfport, FL Patch
Oops, my bad. This video shows the flying dinghy. Check it out.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:18   #152

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
I missed the beginning of this and I’m not nearby anyway. I have never met Knothead but he is obviously a straight up guy who supports his community - he is also a pro. rigger that I have seen recommended on another forum. I think we all should support the good guys and think about who to contact when we need rigging or rigging work.

I can personally vouch for this too!

Old 02-08-2012, 07:26   #153

Boat: 1984 Johnson Boatworks Inland Scow, 20' and a 1975 sailMFG Bandit 19 Pocket Cruiser

Gulfport Guardians is a Facebook Page that has been waxing vitriolic about the boat. I don't even remotely think they represent GP, FL as a whole.....no worries there. I don't mean the city manager, either. I mean spercifically the small group that was doing nothing but taking pictures from a distance and complaining. No one else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
What "Gulfport Guardians?" You mean the City Manager, who cooperated as much as he could given that the beach was open? Or the Gulfport Gabber, a good small0-town paper that covered the story? Or maybe the people who donated food? Or all the locals who showed up to urge the helpers on?

You think Gulfport setting that deadline didn't galvanize the people here to help? Or maybe just that this small town that has a LOT of low-income people in it, and very little valuable property (translate, low income for the city from propterty taxes, and there is no income tax in Florida to help out) really didn't have the resources to save this boat?

Or *maybe,* given that the boat has been there for years, they knew the boat had no functioning sanitation system and that it was rat infested?

I came back to this thread to find more people bitch and moaning about how they hoped they never ran aground in the US.

WHY? TWO big boats ran aground in that storm, not just one. The first one was also gotten off by tremendous effort from locals -- that one while the storm was going on. That person wasn't wealthy either, and while his boat is in better shape and his seamanship unquestionable, it was on rocks and not gotten off easily. He was out of town when it happened.

Yeah, everyone in Gulfport are monsters.

The town officials are already looking at what to do about the fines. They know the man is in the hospital. lives on $800 a month, got punched out within their city borders (really weird; in six years Ican't recall anything like that happening before -- why does everything happen to Cap'n jay?)

Locals are looking for medical attention for the dog? I can already tell you which local vet will step up and treat the dog and worry about how it's going to be paid for, because he's done it over and over and over through the years.

But if there's anyone here who wants to believe Gulfport, FL is full of a bunch of meanies, go ahead. It won't change what Gulfport really is.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:37   #154

Boat: Beneteau 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
Gulfport Guardians is a Facebook Page that has been waxing vitriolic about the boat. I don't even remotely think they represent GP, FL as a whole.....no worries there. I don't mean the city manager, either. I mean spercifically the small group that was doing nothing but taking pictures from a distance and complaining. No one else.
I believe you mean "Gulfport Watchdogs" Facebook page. I saw their posts.

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:44   #155

Boat: 1984 Johnson Boatworks Inland Scow, 20' and a 1975 sailMFG Bandit 19 Pocket Cruiser

Yeah, I did......my bad. Faulty memory.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:47   #156

"Watchdogs"? Really? Is there by chance a Melvin P. Thorpe among them?
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:52   #157

They mostly hide behind the watchdog moniker, so I don't know. There's one lady that at least visits there who is at least open and upfront enough to post in the clear, and her, at least, I have a bit of respect for, even if I disagree with her. She at least presents logical argument to support her statements, rather than invective and innuendo.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:02   #158
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by svcattales View Post
Oops, my bad. This video shows the flying dinghy. Check it out.

That's definitely the Biggest Freakin' Sail of any dinghy I've ever seen! Oh hell yeah!!

Go the Knot!!!
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:02   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
They mostly hide behind the watchdog moniker, so I don't know.
Sorry, just my little joke. If you Google Melvin P. Thorpe, it's all there - even a video.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:06   #160

Location: Bristol PA, on the Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht club.
Boat: Oday 30, 4'11" draft

NO ONE "really" cares about the elderly in our country. (here it goes again!)

Yeah, the guy is down and out, yeah his boat/home is floating dumpster, Yeah.. they pushed it off the beach.. "what's next?" All the haters, say. Sadly, Jay is only a small example of the way our society feels about mature people. When is the last YOU checked on your elderly Mom,dad, grandparent family member or neighbor? Did you notice the last time you visited, the flowers you brought are dead and still in the vase?

I see it happening in my own life.. My adult kids almost never call me. I hardly know my grand kids. They all live 7-800 miles from me. (this is where the haters will say it's my fault) lol

People that don't know how to live on their own need help. Help is not always measured in dollars.

Stop and think, how many other sailboats in FLA and other places are more like Jay's boat and not showcase's for wealth and prosperity....
DeniseO30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:59   #161

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Denise, good post, it has made me think a little bit about myself. I don't think we should judge people unless we are willing to let others judge us. Of course I know everyone on this post is perfect in everyway.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:13   #162

Location: Bristol PA, on the Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht club.
Boat: Oday 30, 4'11" draft

Rocketman, It hurts deeply when many of us reach maturity and know that we spent most of our lives helping others, raising families etc. and all we want in return is a little love and basic humanism.

Being alone, and forgotten has devastating effects on the Mature. I've worked in the homes of people all my life while in the HVAC business. I've seen it all. Chain smokers. windows covered with newspaper, cats by the dozens, papers, trash garbage piled to the ceilings. Something goes terribly wrong in the lonely elder person; and even the family just sits back and yells. "why don't you! why can't you? (fix up, pick up, change, clean etc) and the elder person's heart just breaks a little more.

In my own case I'm alone but not really. I rent rooms to younger ladies.. guess who's playing house mom? I hate it! But have to do this to make ends meet. Sell it all and live on my boat? Hmmmm Uh no, I'd be going North!
DeniseO30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:25   #163

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Denise, like you, I have also spent a large part of my life helping others, (I was a paramedic for 17 years in a large Metro area) and like you I have seem my fair share of everything imaginable. Actually going into someones home who hasn't for numerous reasons had anyone else in them for perhaps years. Most of the time, there is someone that actually called us that did check in with the person in need, and then they would call us when they could not handle a situation themself. There are many, many un named gardian angles out there, perhaps you, while at times, it seems that people in general do not care, I refuse to believe that. I think there are more people that care then that don't. Unfortinitaly no one person can save the world, and quite frankly many people in need will not except help, don't want it and will cuss that you were ever born, for giving it to them. We just have to do the best we can and live our lives to a standard that each of us individially can live with.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 15:43   #164

Boat: Nor Sea 27'

Let me apologize in advance for this long and rambling post.

I want to personally thank everyone who supported this with their positive vibes and thoughts and yes, even prayers. I want to personally thank Andrew, my business partner, whom I bounce all my ideas off of and who worked with me to stabilize the rigging, unload the boat as well as anchoring and winching. Rocketman, who along with Chris, a dear longtime friend, and others who went well above and beyond the call of duty to get this accomplished by having to deal with the removal of the filthy junk that this boat was stuffed with, as well as donating material and gear.
There are all the sailors that agreed to anchor their boats and winch the "Promise" off. Especially Larry on the Morgan 38'. who not only anchored and winched, but also assisted in the unloading. Thanks to Celeste and crew that manned the "Jenny Lee".

There is Avb3, Smackdaddy, DOJ, and others that I'm probably forgetting at the moment, who assisted from afar with the flyers and the website and all the Facebook and Craigslist stuff.
There is the local Gulfport community that really stepped up to the plate, including "Smokin' J's Texas BBQ who unsolicited, brought enough food to feed all the volunteers. There is Elite Marine who loaned me the slings that we wrapped around the hull. There is Neptune Towing who let us borrow two air bags that we fortunately didn't need to use. Minuteman Press who printed the flyers that Smack created.
There's Tom, a firefighter and WTC hero, who was in charge of first aid but spent most of the day working as hard as anyone in the effort. Thank you to Lil whose garage is filled with Jay's stuff as I type. Thank you to Gulfport Storage who donated a month rent for a unit for the rest of the stuff. Thanks to John from Gulfport U-haul for the discount on the truck rental. Thank you to Dan from the Clearwater Yacht Club who donated a 35# CQR and to all the others that donated line, chain and anchors. Thanks to Margo from the local WM who purchased a bilge pump.
My immediate family, Jen, my wife, and Liz, my sister in law, who's life has been a hectic whirlwind the last week or so. Marcus and Laura, my sister and brother in law, who interrupted their vacation and drove here just for the day to help.
And to the local media, especially Fox 13, who was the first to help get the word out.

Just everyone. I'm so overwhelmed and grateful to everyone that I'm finding it difficult to put my thoughts down coherently.
Thank you all.
I know that I've left a lot of people out, many of whom I don't even know but who were there helping. People like Paul, a guy with a really thick accent who is built like an ex-linebacker that frequents the beach with his family, and insisted on helping. As a matter of fact, his whole family insisted on helping. Even his daughter was out there pushing. There was an 81 year old fellow with a bandage on one hand who was out there pushing on the bottom of that boat.
I want to thank James O'Rielly, the city manager, and Mayor Yakes, who, by bending the rules a bit allowed this to happen.
Forgive me if I've left anyone out. I'm sure I have.

As things stand today, the boat is the farthest boat at anchor from the beach. It has no anchor light and no bilge pump. I filled every through hull with expandable foam, including the cockpit drains, because I didn't know the condition of the seacocks, hoses or clamps and I didn't want it taking on water right away. So, if we have a lot of rain, the cockpit will overflow into the boat.
The boat is not anchored legally and in my opinion, it should be towed to a boatyard and put on the hard. If Jay is interested in making it a seaworthy vessel, that work should be happening in a boatyard or some other private property, not off the coast of Gulfport or any other community.
If I were the city of Gulfport, I would offer to waive the fines if the boat is hauled out somewhere. But all I can do is suggest that.

Numerous times during the week, as we were unloading the boat, we were challenged by so called friends of Jay who wanted to make sure we had his permission to do what we were doing. Few of them were very friendly and fewer still offered to help.
Now is the time for them to step in. If they are really friends of Jay and have the slightest bit of compassion for the man, they would step in and prevent a re-occurrence of this situation. At the very least, they would make sure that the boat is set up with a bilge pump so that it's doesn't sink. But, if they really cared, they would attempt to get Jay to get a firmer grasp of reality.

There is a donation site. I don't know how much money has been given so far, but if I have anything to say about it, that money should be used to compensate all those who have incurred out of pocket expenses for this. For example, Rocketman, who not only gave four days of his life, but also had to pay for the fuel to drive here, the fuel and wear and tear on his vessels that were instrumental to the recovery. Or Lil, who paid for the U-haul truck, etc.
If there is any thing left after these people are paid back, then I believe it should be used to create a fund for the prevention of this sort of thing in the future.
Perhaps the website that was created for this project could be redirected to this end as well. But that's not my forte.

I feel good that we've proven that the sailing community, the local community, and just people in general can still come together to accomplish things.

I hope the idea catches on.

Sincerely,
Steve

And open letter to "Capt'n (and I use the term very loosely) Jay.

Sir, I don't know you. I met you last Thursday I believe, on my third visit to your vessel. I found you sitting on a bar stool drinking while a man named Dave was trying to free your boat from the beach. Though he was actually making the situation worse, I found it appalling that you could sit there in the bar while another man was trying to help you. When I asked you about that, I remember quite distinctly how you disparaged the man.
I told you at the time that I was confident that I could get your boat off the beach if you would let me do it the proper way. That meant that the boat would have to be emptied. Your response was that I just didn't understand the situation. I was blunt and I was borderline rude in my dealing with you since you are the one who obviously didn't understand the situation. You finally relented and agreed to let me do the job.
The next day I instructed you to acquire boxes and start packing up your valuables. Surprisingly, you partially complied. When I showed up that evening, I instructed you to get aboard and oversee the passing over the side of the boxes. A few minutes later I saw you walking down the beach with your phone to your ear and one of your "friends", the man sitting on the bar stool next to you when I met you, was aboard throwing the boxes on the sand. When one of these boxes burst open and some cd's or dvd's spilled out, you went ballistic and ordered everyone away. You said that you didn't want your stuff ruined and that you could always get another boat. I pointed out that you could also get more cd's too and that if you had followed my instructions no one would have been throwing your stuff over the side.
After I was able to calm you down sufficiently, we continued to unload your boat and we removed two pickup truck loads which we placed in Lil's garage.
Later that night, you were in an altercation that resulted in your injuries. I'm sorry that you were injured, but the blessing is that you were no longer an impediment to the job I was trying to accomplish. (I won't relate what the police officer told me that led to the man punching you)

As you know, your vessel is now afloat again. I saw that you gave an interview to the media and I know that you've spoken to a number of your "friends" since this has happened. I'm not surprised you've not bothered to call me.

Jay, I know that you are a veteran. I thank you for your service. But, beyond that, all I know about you is what I've read and what I've personally experienced in my direct dealings with you.
I know that life is difficult and I don't know what has happened in your life that has brought you to the place you find yourself today. But sir, you are not a sailor. You are not a responsible pet owner. The way you treated that dog bordered on cruelty. I would go so far as to say that based on what I have personally witnessed as to the state of your living conditions, you aren't even able to care for yourself. You need help. And not material help, you need counseling. I met a young lady on the beach while we were working that claimed to be your step daughter. She told me that you have alienated your family because you are an alcoholic. You sir, need an intervention.

I'm glad that your boat is off the beach. I'm glad that the city of Gulfport isn't going to have to spend ten grand plus to do it. But the last thing I want to see is you going back to that boat and continuing your downward spiral.

A real sailor would put that boat in a yard and do the work that needs to be done. They would not be living in squalor anchored off a small community feeding everyone who will listen a line of bull crap that you are a sailor and that you are fixing the boat up to go cruising.
You have never sailed that boat and I have my doubts that you have ever sailed any boat. You may be able to fool your drink addled buddies down at the waterfront, but you can't fool me or the real sailors that got that filthy, cockroach infested vessel off the beach.
You need to stop with the sob stories. Stop with the "poor me" crap and get your act together. There are people online who are placing bets that you will be in the same situation in a very short time. I find it difficult to disagree. Please Jay, I implore you. Prove us wrong. Stop drinking, listen to those who know more than you and who you've not driven away yet. And do it before it's too late.

Sincerely,
Steve Smith
Old 02-08-2012, 15:59   #165

Boat: OEM, proportional

Thank you, Captain Smith. Prayers continuing, in thanks and praise to the real Guarantor of the success of this venture, and that your words to Jay take positive effect.