Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2012, 19:12   #256
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa Bay
Boat: Nor Sea 27'
Posts: 202
Re: Pitch In And Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
There's an anchorage there, with a good number of derelict boats. The city of St. Petersburg has been cracking down on it, and I don't think moving his boat there will solve anything. He could end up with two municipalities on his case.

Raku, I believe that he has given up on taking the boat to Bay Pines. Check the other thread you started. I responded to this earlier.
__________________

__________________
WIKIJAR
knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 19:25   #257
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Pitch In And Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Raku, I believe that he has given up on taking the boat to Bay Pines. Check the other thread you started. I responded to this earlier.

Personally I think he should stay where he is until everything is settled. This is a man at a difficult point in his life and he seems to have some loyal friends in the area. Especially if he has to move back to land, he's going to need those friends. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a car, so how would he hunt for some place to live?

I have been out of town and I don't know precisely where his boat is right now, but if he moved his boat to the east end of the bay he would then be under St. Petersburg jurisdiction, and as far as I know St. Petersburg has no beef with him. I don't know how this will all work out but I'd like it to be as compassionate as possible.
__________________

__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 04:21   #258
Registered User
 
malbert73's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Boat: Tartan 40
Posts: 1,035
How did he do with the hurricane? Did he stay put?
__________________
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 04:41   #259
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Pitch In And Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
How did he do with the hurricane? Did he stay put?

I've been out of town and then down with a nasty bug. I'm going to try to find out today, although with new tackle including (heard here) chain, he was probably all right. There seems to be some kind of weather umbrella over this area and we never get the worst of anything. Isaac was far worse in the Miami/Fort Laud/Palm Beach area than here. They were perpetually in a line of squalls and we were perpetually in the slot of dry air separating that line of squalls from the rest of the storm. This happens here over and over. Isaac was predicted to track right over us for some time, but he turned west. Charley was predicted to steam right up Tampa Bay, a real disaster in the making, and at the last moment he turned south and slammed into the Punta Gorda area, causing devastation.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 14:26   #260
Registered User
 
denverd0n's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,953
Images: 6
Re: Pitch In And Help

Just read the October "Southwinds" magazine. It has an article on The Promise, Burki, the efforts that got the boat off the beach, and some of the follow-up.

Anyway, the part that surprised me is that the reporter says Burki told him that his boat was "fine" until Steve Smith started to "work on it." He says that Smith damaged his boat and "set [him] back."

Gratitude for ya, eh?
__________________
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 15:29   #261
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: "...barren elbow of sand..."
Boat: O'Day Daysailer 3
Posts: 186
Images: 3
Re: Pitch In And Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Just read the October "Southwinds" magazine. It has an article on The Promise, Burki, the efforts that got the boat off the beach, and some of the follow-up.

Anyway, the part that surprised me is that the reporter says Burki told him that his boat was "fine" until Steve Smith started to "work on it." He says that Smith damaged his boat and "set [him] back."

Gratitude for ya, eh?

No good deed goes unpunished.
__________________
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 15:49   #262
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Pitch In And Help

Originally Posted by denverd0n
Just read the October "Southwinds" magazine. It has an article on The Promise, Burki, the efforts that got the boat off the beach, and some of the follow-up.

Anyway, the part that surprised me is that the reporter says Burki told him that his boat was "fine" until Steve Smith started to "work on it." He says that Smith damaged his boat and "set [him] back."

Gratitude for ya, eh?


No good deed goes unpunished.


That guy is a real piece of work, but I would still rather be someone who tries to help, and I bet Steve feels the same way.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 17:01   #263
Moderator Emeritus
 
Coops's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NSW.Australia
Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Posts: 9,550
Re: Pitch In And Help

I'm betting that he is,quite rightly, a little cheesed off as well.

Coops.
__________________
When somebody told me that I was delusional, I almost fell off of my unicorn.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 23:44   #264
Registered User
 
lannen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Gulfport Fl
Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale
Posts: 177
Images: 9
Re: Pitch In And Help

I will be surprised if he has not already talked to a lawyer about suing Mr. Smith and naming the work party as co-defendants.

It's the way some folks do things these days, and I'm sure some lawyers are already circling for their cut of the take.

Mr. Smith has a business, and I hope he has taken legal remedy to insure his business is not liable in any of this.

After all, (for you international readers) in America the lawyers are the only winners. Respect and admiration for good deeds don't pay the bills.
__________________
S/V AbbyGale
lannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:10   #265
Moderator Emeritus
 
Coops's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NSW.Australia
Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Posts: 9,550
Re: Pitch In And Help

Perhaps the fact that it is all on record HERE may help a little. Hope so for his sake.

Coops.
__________________
When somebody told me that I was delusional, I almost fell off of my unicorn.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:32   #266
Senior Cruiser
 
Rocketman's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Naples, FL
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Posts: 668
Re: Pitch In And Help

As one of the volunteers that helped get this boat off the beach, I am not surprised that Jay is blamming someone else for his problems. I think this has been his SOP for his entire life. Once a laywer or anyone else meet's Jay, it is easy to see what kind of person he is, and I believe any lawyer would be a fool to take his case. No one received any money to help Jay, as a matter of fact we all spent quite a lot of money to help get this boat off the beach. Our intended goal was to help the citizens of the community by removing the boat from the public beach, and we did that. The only damage that was done to the boat was done because it was grounded, the rudder post was bent a little because it was grounded. The rudder post may have been bent prior to grounding, no one knows. The boat it self was in better shape after we removed it because Knotthead had to re-enforce the rigging so it would not fail while pulling on it. This guy "Jay" is a real piece of work. If his lips are moving, you can bet he is destorting the truth or out and out lying.
__________________
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:50   #267
Registered User
 
Sailor g's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,137
This is rediculous as I am sure Jay's boat was made safer by the group's actions. I would however, get a lawyer to protect my assets if I were Mr. Smith. (Any lawyers here that are nearby to do pro bono?) if they see it won't be a slam dunk to get $ they may drop it.
__________________
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:17   #268
Registered User
 
CapnBrown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Clearwater, FL
Boat: Ed Hostman Tristar 38 Trimaran
Posts: 50
Re: Pitch In And Help

I would ask anyone who helped getting the boat off the beach to please draft a letter to the editor of Southwinds to describe what they witnessed to set the record straight. Please do not make this an opportunity to slam "Captain Jay" and comments suggesting he has been this way his whole life and it's just who he is are just that. I've known the guy for a long time and have trusted him and always found him to follow through with his word. This is the first I've seen of him lashing out against someone like this and he should be ashamed. But making it look like some kind of fight about us against them/him does not reflect well on either party. It makes me angry to hear him distort the truth too but having the witnesses that were there explain to the public what "did" happen in an objective way is what is called for. I would also like to note here that this was someone's assumption that a law suit is brewing. Let's set the record straight and make some reaction if he does make an attempt at a suit. Mr. Smith was well aware that a suit could be possible and that he was taking a chance along with the rest of us. He simply believes that being frightened of a lawsuit and using it as a basis for ignoring his humanity (for lack of a better word) is wrong. He has taken legal steps to protect his business as he sees fit and don't think for a minute he's naive about this. Maybe you wouldn't agree with his choice but that doesn't mean he doesn't understand. He does.
__________________
CapnBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:27   #269
Pusher of String
 
foolishsailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: On the hard; Trinidad
Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Posts: 2,314
Images: 19
That is a shame. As an American expat for a decade I feel some shame when looking back on certain aspects of my country, one is the litigation culture the other is the media. There are so many beautiful things and the States and the People, but lawyers and media are part of that.

I wish Steve, "Mr. smith", was protected by Samaritan laws but alas I doubt it.

I hope that the fact that the entire process was documented by numerous witnesses here on CF and in the paper will protect him however based on my numerous involvements with the legal system as part of my work I doubt it.

Shame.
__________________
"So, rather than appear foolish afterward, I renounce seeming clever now."
William of Baskerville

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:14   #270
Registered User
 
denverd0n's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,953
Images: 6
Re: Pitch In And Help

Let's not get carried away here, folks. There is absolutely no evidence at all--not one single shred--that Burki has any intent, or even any interest, in trying to sue anyone. And frankly, if he did, I doubt it would ever go anywhere.

First off, one conversation with the guy and most lawyers would realize that it is going to be a complete loser if it ever gets to court. Those who have met him--imagine a judge or juries reaction to his testimony. Can you say "no credibility"? And probably more important, he was asked; he gave explicit permission to those involved to do what they did.

I was just a bit surprised by the fact that he is now blaming his problems on those who helped him. I am certain that a lawsuit is the last thing on his mind (although, I'd be a little frightened of trying to figure out just what is on his mind!).
__________________

__________________
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:00.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.