Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2012, 09:59   #241

Boat: Nor Sea 27'
Re: Pitch In And Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Oh c'mon, Steve. That WAS a mild tropical storm! I was on my boat the entire time and the boat hardly moved. Now the thunderstorm we had a year ago April -- my boat heeled over 30 degrees right in the slip.

And, thank you very much, but I had a point. You don't agree with it, but that's not the same was "pointless."

The storm wasn't that bad; he should have been prepared for it (we had plenty of warning); and he was not. That's how it was.

Everyone admires YOU for what you did, but I have no admiration for "Cap'n" Jay. It's long past time for him to take responsibility for the consequences of his actions. If he does that because of your actions, then you *really* have done a great thing, but it doesn't change the facts: as tropical storms go, that wasn't much in Gulfport. Anyone who has a boat and isn't prepared for what Debby brought is terribly under-prepared.

Please don't take offense, I didn't mean that you had no point. I only meant that the debate about derelict boats and boaters is something that is not going to be solved by this thread or any other. Check out the other thread if you doubt that. Too many strong opinions on the matter.
I just wanted to keep this thread open and on track.

We're going to just have to agree to disagree about the severity of the storm.
Perhaps, being in a slip, you didn't feel the brunt of it completely.
Old 14-08-2012, 10:04   #242
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

raku--hang on a hook for a tropical storm. you will redefine mild. marina life is waaaay different than living on the hook without option for marina..live on hook for month of sept in florida.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 10:19   #243

Boat: OEM, proportional

Quote:
We sailed by one whose rode is not long for this world, another boat was washed up on shore (albeit not on a beach) and a third had sunk and only its mast was showing.
The one with the dodgy rode could use the upsticking mast of the formerly floating boat as a mooring bollard? Just an idea.

As to mobility....knocking together a functioning pair of sweeps, or a scull, or a yuloh, should be dirt cheap. There isn't any valid excuse for not being to move one's hulk (obviously in suitable weather).
Old 14-08-2012, 15:29   #244
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I wasn't HERE for it? No, it didn't come close to bordering on a hurricane *in Gulfport.*

I was on my boat the entire time. I could see Boca Ciega Bay from my slip.

LMAO Like you get the same winds and seas in your slip as we do on the hook. Bet it wasnt rough at all in the condos. I rode it out in the Tortugas and there it definately was not mild. I had a good heel going on and the rain was hitting the zippers in my enclosure so hard there were drops going horizontally all the way across the cockpit and hitting the other side. I dont recall ever seeing that before and my last trip south was in 50-60kt gusts.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 08:06   #245

Boat: Heritage East 40

So what is to become of Capt Jay's boat with Isaac?
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 08:47   #246
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

He called me last week looking for a tow to Madera beach. Thinking maybe he found a slip.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 16:15   #247

Boat: Ed Hostman Tristar 38 Trimaran

I'm pretty sure he failed to find a tow. From the East end of the bay it looks like her still anchored out there with maybe 4 other boats.
CapnBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 11:27   #248

Some of you may remember that Bill, (Sailinman), contacted West Marine about the effort in the hopes that they might have been able to donate some materials.
While they weren't able to supply us with material, they were kind enough to send a $100.00 gift card.
My thanks to West Marine's Liz McComb, Executive Assistant to CMO/Senior VP Grants and Community Outreach Coordinator and of course Bill for arranging this and all his other help.

So anyway, I've made an executive decision. While in no way will this gift card make up for all the expense, work and time that John, (rocketman), so generously donated, I can think of no one more deserving of it.

John, towing his boat, drove from Naples to Saint Petersburg. He brought his inflatable dingy which was invaluable in removing the gear from the Promise. He donated gear, including the chain that is still holding the boat today. He paid money out of his pocket for the storage unit. He disrupted his life for days to get this accomplished. He was willing to sleep on my couch. He put up with me and my family. Including the dog, cats, chickens and ducks. And his good humor never wavered.

So we're sending the gift card to John. It's not much, but I hope it helps to express how grateful we all are for his selflessness.

Thanks John.

Steve
Old 30-08-2012, 11:37   #249
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Some of you may remember that Bill, (Sailinman), contacted West Marine about the effort in the hopes that they might have been able to donate some materials.
While they weren't able to supply us with material, they were kind enough to send a $100.00 gift card.
My thanks to West Marine's Liz McComb, Executive Assistant to CMO/Senior VP Grants and Community Outreach Coordinator and of course Bill for arranging this and all his other help.

So anyway, I've made an executive decision. While in no way will this gift card make up for all the expense, work and time that John, (rocketman), so generously donated, I can think of no one more deserving of it.

John, towing his boat, drove from Naples to Saint Petersburg. He brought his inflatable dingy which was invaluable in removing the gear from the Promise. He donated gear, including the chain that is still holding the boat today. He paid money out of his pocket for the storage unit. He disrupted his life for days to get this accomplished. He was willing to sleep on my couch. He put up with me and my family. Including the dog, cats, chickens and ducks. And his good humor never wavered.

So we're sending the gift card to John. It's not much, but I hope it helps to express how grateful we all are for his selflessness.

Thanks John.

Steve
Very nice indeed
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 11:42   #250

Boat: OEM, proportional

Quote:
He was willing to sleep on my couch. He put up with me and my family. Including the dog, cats, chickens and ducks. And his good humor never wavered.
Wow, your couch must be huge. Are you from Texas?
Old 30-08-2012, 11:55   #251

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

Hahhaha,,,there's nothing like waking up in the middle of the night covered in sweat, only to find out that you have a live fur hat on your head and other sundry fury beasts huddled up to you for warmth....done it many times,,,i just think back and laugh,,,,i kinda miss it..hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 12:41   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post

It is a pretty big couch, but I should clarify that the critters, for the most part, respected his personal space. Still, I would wager that it wasn't as comfortable as his own bed.
Old 30-08-2012, 16:39   #253
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:

<snip>

He put up with me and my family. Including the dog, cats, chickens and ducks. And his good humor never wavered.

Thanks John.

Steve
Great call Steve.

John - When life hands you ducks, make duck... never mind...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 16:50   #254

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:

Thanks John.

Steve
Sounds good to me.
Old 30-08-2012, 16:52   #255
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
He called me last week looking for a tow to Madera beach. Thinking maybe he found a slip.

There's an anchorage there, with a good number of derelict boats. The city of St. Petersburg has been cracking down on it, and I don't think moving his boat there will solve anything. He could end up with two municipalities on his case.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote