Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 20:54   #196

Perfect sentiment, Ex- Calif. And Knothead, I also hope thread stays open it is so positive a topic -a Pay it Forward" idea. I know the vast majority of sailors do this already I have been helped by sailors going above & beyonds to help fix a problem we had when we were out cruising- especially wonderful since it was just 3-4 boats jn the cove & 1000 miles from a West Marine I also have been affected by the alcoholism of family members-an uncle committed suicide because he felt so bad with his life out of control. I hope Capt. Jay gets his life together but I know how tough it can be to beat alcohol-but it's in his hands now.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 23:41   #197

Re: Pitch In And Help

how does it go? please share
Old 07-08-2012, 11:04   #198

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Steve - I know you have requested no accolades but to you and all the volunteers - well done!

I wish I had the writing skills to express how I feel about this whole story. Printing this thread and the other would definitely provide sufficient material for a modern sociology class.

From the naysayers and detractors, to the hogtied local government, to a man debilitated by the disease of alcoholism (and perhaps more) unable and/or unwilling to help himself to a group led by you that just said - lets do it.

This story has lifted my spirits and reminded me that every day somewhere in the USA there are communities taking care of each other for no gain other than the satisfaction of helping someone in need.

Don't stress about what happens next - you all have already done enough.
Ex,

You write well too.

I think you said it well.
Old 07-08-2012, 13:20   #199

Boat: Nor Sea 27'

Here's the latest on Dreamer, the dog.

The Gabber Newspaper - Media/News/Publishing - Gulfport, FL | Facebook

From the site:

"Dreamer has a skin infection (possibly staph), cherry eye (that's what you see, his third eyelid), an eye infection, mild ear infections in both ears, fleas, and worms. The vet bill at Gulfport Vet is at about $300 this far. They cannot treat him until the skin condition clears up, which means he will need four-six weeks of antibiotics and steroids and two weeks without any skin issues before they
can consider operating on the cherry eye or, if the owner consents, neutering him.

He is returning to his caretaker this afternoon, who will give Dreamer the medication.

Those of you who want to help, here's what Dreamer needs: his vet bill paid. You can call Gulfport Vet or go by to contribute. (727) 384-4413. Please spread the word."

Old 07-08-2012, 13:58   #200

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Given the reported condition of the animal, I think the County ASPCA should get involved. The boat owner may be beyond help but the dog has been badly neglected/mistreated and can be saved. In no case would I return that animal to the boat owner, for it's own good.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 15:04   #201
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Here's the latest on Dreamer, the dog.

The Gabber Newspaper - Media/News/Publishing - Gulfport, FL | Facebook

From the site:

"Dreamer has a skin infection (possibly staph), cherry eye (that's what you see, his third eyelid), an eye infection, mild ear infections in both ears, fleas, and worms. The vet bill at Gulfport Vet is at about $300 this far. They cannot treat him until the skin condition clears up, which means he will need four-six weeks of antibiotics and steroids and two weeks without any skin issues before they
can consider operating on the cherry eye or, if the owner consents, neutering him.

He is returning to his caretaker this afternoon, who will give Dreamer the medication.

Those of you who want to help, here's what Dreamer needs: his vet bill paid. You can call Gulfport Vet or go by to contribute. (727) 384-4413. Please spread the word."

I knew Gulfport Vet would step up. They work with people who don't have the means immediately to pay for what an animal needs all the time.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 16:40   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Given the reported condition of the animal, I think the County ASPCA should get involved. The boat owner may be beyond help but the dog has been badly neglected/mistreated and can be saved. In no case would I return that animal to the boat owner, for it's own good.

FWIW...

I just hope that Jay is not beyond help. I'm hoping that this has been a wake up call for him.
I'm hoping that he is sitting in that hospital, drying out, and spending a lot of time evaluating his situation. I'm hoping that he will recognize what an opportunity he has been given to get his act together.

I don't want to see his dog taken away from him. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I want him to be a responsible dog owner. But for the dog's sake, it may be necessary.
I don't want to see his boat taken away from him. I just want him to be a responsible sailor/boat owner.

Hey, I've already admitted to being an idealist.
But seriously. There are many people that I've met that are willing to help him if he is willing to help himself. I would even help him get his rigging together if he actually is willing to change.

I'm hoping that he is not beyond hope.
Old 07-08-2012, 17:38   #203
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
But seriously. There are many people that I've met that are willing to help him if he is willing to help himself. I would even help him get his rigging together if he actually is willing to change.

I'm hoping that he is not beyond hope.
I don't know what shape the man is physically but a 40+ foot boat is something that requires a lot of work on a daily/routine basis.

He apparently has a pattern of acquiring boats and living on them until they no longer support life. He has demonstrated no interest or skills in maintaining a waterborne home.

He also has a lot of people enabling his behavior including the authorities who, based on this thread and other Gulfport threads, are incapable of policing the waterways, albeit marking his boat as "at risk" is finally a proactive step.

Because I care about the sailing community more than the individual I hope he ends up being driven off the water. The idea that maintaining a boat is a lower cost option for living than something on-shore is ridiculous.

Additionally, on-shore the Gulfport authorities may be able to interact with him more readily if he continues his destructive lifestyle.

The whole situation with the dog sickens me and makes any empathy towards this man fade quickly.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:18   #204

Well, I finally got a call from Jay this morning. He expressed his gratitude to me and everyone involved. We did not discuss his plans for the future. I didn't ask and he didn't offer.
He asked where the storage unit was and if his bicycle was there.
Avb3, who is visiting the area from Canada, and I are going sailing in my boat in an hour or so. I plan to swing by the Promise and see if there is any activity and to see if she's been taking on water.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:46   #205

Boat: Heritage East 40
You can lead a horse to water ....
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:36   #206

Video interview with Jay and accompanying article.

Video: Captain Jay Anxious to Set Sail - Gulfport, FL Patch
Old 09-08-2012, 10:00   #207

Boat: Heritage East 40

Thanks for the video link Knothead. Hope it works out for Mr Jay.
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 13:19   #208

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I like how he said..."I'll have to survey the damage" that the police were talking about. I think most of this damage has been there a long long time.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 14:00   #209
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Jay is not an isolated situation. Ive been around the tampa bay area for nearly 30 years. I could point to a dozen places that hold a population of people who would be homeless living in the bushes or in shelters if it werent for the derelict vessels they call home. Yes their sanitation isnt to par, no theres often no electric for anchor lights are they really causing more problems than if they were living in homeless camps under tarps? Pinellas county has been waging a war against homeless people for a long time. Look at how much money they invested to put in a mooring field in vinoy basin to drive out the liveaboard population. Ive seen one boat in there for a short period of time since it has been open. It sis empty just the way vinoy hotel wanted it. all this disgust and ranting about Jay and his shelter is the same old song with Jay in the spotlight.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 16:07   #210

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

"...anxious to raise the sails and go."

You go Jay!

You can take that however you want.