Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 16:49   #166

Boat: 1984 Johnson Boatworks Inland Scow, 20' and a 1975 sailMFG Bandit 19 Pocket Cruiser
Re: Pitch In And Help

Steve, I said it before and I'll say it again, first off, good on ya. You're a decent man......a rare thing now. As to Capt. Jay, he''s got a second chance to do with as he will. He can take it or throw it away....his choice. Hopefully, he'll take it. If his boat sinks or is later sent to the boneyard, now, it's his problem. You and your fellows did a good thing, regardless of outcome.
Old 02-08-2012, 17:08   #167

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

Ditto on what Tom said, you all gave him a another chance and that's all anyone really needs really.
As to your read on the situation, Steve you aught be a writer as you had me hooked in the first three lines.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 17:13   #168
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
Gulfport Guardians is a Facebook Page that has been waxing vitriolic about the boat. I don't even remotely think they represent GP, FL as a whole.....no worries there. I don't mean the city manager, either. I mean spercifically the small group that was doing nothing but taking pictures from a distance and complaining. No one else.

Oh there is an anti-boating faction in Gulfport. By the way, the town's avatar is ... a sailboat!

Guess what those people (the anti-boating people) want to do?

Tear down the marina and build ... condos.

Yah, that market is REAL solid. You should see what the condos already in town are selling for -- in some cases, half what people paid for them...
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 17:17   #169
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
NO ONE "really" cares about the elderly in our country. (here it goes again!)

Yeah, the guy is down and out, yeah his boat/home is floating dumpster, Yeah.. they pushed it off the beach.. "what's next?" All the haters, say. Sadly, Jay is only a small example of the way our society feels about mature people. When is the last YOU checked on your elderly Mom,dad, grandparent family member or neighbor? Did you notice the last time you visited, the flowers you brought are dead and still in the vase?

I see it happening in my own life.. My adult kids almost never call me. I hardly know my grand kids. They all live 7-800 miles from me. (this is where the haters will say it's my fault) lol

People that don't know how to live on their own need help. Help is not always measured in dollars.

Stop and think, how many other sailboats in FLA and other places are more like Jay's boat and not showcase's for wealth and prosperity....

I am very concerned for his welfare once he returns to the boat. That must have been a very badly broken jaw. It is no doubt wired shut, and the only food he will be able to eat will come through a straw. Think he has a blender on that boat, or the ability to keep the makings for a tasty smoothie fresh and safe to eat?

He'll be able to drink canned Ensure -- warm -- and in my opinion, it tastes, feels and smells like Elmer's Glue.

I think he has some extremely serious life issues here.
Old 02-08-2012, 21:10   #170

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Knothead, great letter to Jay the boat owner, I can not say Capt'n anymore when it comes to Jay. If Jay ever realy reads it, is unknown, but I read it, and it sums up my feeling's exactly.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 00:16   #171
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Steve,

I think i might have a crush on you, a real bro-mance..

Dont be disappointed if you find jay's boat back on the beach in a month. But nevermind cause youmfollowed your heart, didnthe right thing, and pulled others to you to help. I have huge admiration for you and the others that pulled this off.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:03   #172

Boat: Nor Sea 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Knothead, great letter to Jay the boat owner, I can not say Capt'n anymore when it comes to Jay. If Jay ever realy reads it, is unknown, but I read it, and it sums up my feeling's exactly.

Thanks John, I sent it in an email to the Gulfport Gabber too. Their reporting was the most accurate that I read or viewed.

If the websites that were set up are still up and running, could someone please copy and paste my last post or at least the open letter part to them?
I am really concerned that as many people as possible understand the real motivation for doing this. There are still too many that think it was done solely for Jay's benifit. I want the record to be clear.

I would do it except for the fact that I'm going to be very busy catching up on work that has been put off for the last week or so.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-08-2012, 08:36   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Oh there is an anti-boating faction in Gulfport. By the way, the town's avatar is ... a sailboat!

Guess what those people (the anti-boating people) want to do?

Tear down the marina and build ... condos.
There aren't any developers in that group, are there?
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:46   #174

Boat: 34 Irwin
Well written Steve. As you sd. It's up to Jay now.

Well done to all that helped!
Samantha ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:55   #175

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Thanks John, I sent it in an email to the Gulfport Gabber too. Their reporting was the most accurate that I read or viewed.

If the websites that were set up are still up and running, could someone please copy and paste my last post or at least the open letter part to them?
I am really concerned that as many people as possible understand the real motivation for doing this. There are still too many that think it was done solely for Jay's benifit. I want the record to be clear.

I would do it except for the fact that I'm going to be very busy catching up on work that has been put off for the last week or so.

Thanks,
Steve
I've updated the Facebook page, however don't have access to the websites to edit. Perhaps the owners of those can copy and paste?
Old 03-08-2012, 10:08   #176

Boat: 1973 Hughes 25
Send a message via Yahoo to nosinglesource Send a message via Skype™ to nosinglesource

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
And open letter to "Capt'n (and I use the term very loosely) Jay.
I've arrived late to this party, but wouldn't have been able to show up and help due to distance anyway. 2368km will do that, although I would certainly have showed up were I nearer. Congratulations to all involved for achieving what you did, regardless of motivation...by all accounts, it was truly a herculean task, and you accomplished it.

Regarding "Captain Jay"...if he is an alcoholic (and it sounds as though that is the case), there's no doubt that he needs to get himself some help. As far as I know, though, there have been roughly zero per cent of alcoholics who have been enabled to conquer the demon of hardcore addiction all thanks to a public castigation by someone who amounts to a perfect stranger. The only thing that will help this soul is to hit rock bottom. Was this event "it" for him? There's a slim chance, but it seems unlikely. I'm thinking the only thing your open letter to Captain Jay serves to do is to make you feel better.

Cindi
nosinglesource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:01   #177
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill352 View Post
There aren't any developers in that group, are there?

Even better -- Realtor.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:10   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Even better -- Realtor.
Well, that's what I'd want for my community - a group of disinterested citizens making responsible decisions for the rest of us.

I know! Make it an "affordable housing" development. That way they get rid of all those pesky boaters, and Jay gets a place to live. Win/win all the way.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:37   #179
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
And open letter to "Capt'n (and I use the term very loosely) Jay.

Sir, I don't know you. I met you last Thursday I believe, on my third visit to your vessel. I found you sitting on a bar stool drinking while a man named Dave was trying to free your boat from the beach. Though he was actually making the situation worse, I found it appalling that you could sit there in the bar while another man was trying to help you. When I asked you about that, I remember quite distinctly how you disparaged the man.
I told you at the time that I was confident that I could get your boat off the beach if you would let me do it the proper way. That meant that the boat would have to be emptied. Your response was that I just didn't understand the situation. I was blunt and I was borderline rude in my dealing with you since you are the one who obviously didn't understand the situation. You finally relented and agreed to let me do the job.
The next day I instructed you to acquire boxes and start packing up your valuables. Surprisingly, you partially complied. When I showed up that evening, I instructed you to get aboard and oversee the passing over the side of the boxes. A few minutes later I saw you walking down the beach with your phone to your ear and one of your "friends", the man sitting on the bar stool next to you when I met you, was aboard throwing the boxes on the sand. When one of these boxes burst open and some cd's or dvd's spilled out, you went ballistic and ordered everyone away. You said that you didn't want your stuff ruined and that you could always get another boat. I pointed out that you could also get more cd's too and that if you had followed my instructions no one would have been throwing your stuff over the side.
After I was able to calm you down sufficiently, we continued to unload your boat and we removed two pickup truck loads which we placed in Lil's garage.
Later that night, you were in an altercation that resulted in your injuries. I'm sorry that you were injured, but the blessing is that you were no longer an impediment to the job I was trying to accomplish. (I won't relate what the police officer told me that led to the man punching you)

As you know, your vessel is now afloat again. I saw that you gave an interview to the media and I know that you've spoken to a number of your "friends" since this has happened. I'm not surprised you've not bothered to call me.

Jay, I know that you are a veteran. I thank you for your service. But, beyond that, all I know about you is what I've read and what I've personally experienced in my direct dealings with you.
I know that life is difficult and I don't know what has happened in your life that has brought you to the place you find yourself today. But sir, you are not a sailor. You are not a responsible pet owner. The way you treated that dog bordered on cruelty. I would go so far as to say that based on what I have personally witnessed as to the state of your living conditions, you aren't even able to care for yourself. You need help. And not material help, you need counseling. I met a young lady on the beach while we were working that claimed to be your step daughter. She told me that you have alienated your family because you are an alcoholic. You sir, need an intervention.

I'm glad that your boat is off the beach. I'm glad that the city of Gulfport isn't going to have to spend ten grand plus to do it. But the last thing I want to see is you going back to that boat and continuing your downward spiral.

A real sailor would put that boat in a yard and do the work that needs to be done. They would not be living in squalor anchored off a small community feeding everyone who will listen a line of bull crap that you are a sailor and that you are fixing the boat up to go cruising.
You have never sailed that boat and I have my doubts that you have ever sailed any boat. You may be able to fool your drink addled buddies down at the waterfront, but you can't fool me or the real sailors that got that filthy, cockroach infested vessel off the beach.
You need to stop with the sob stories. Stop with the "poor me" crap and get your act together. There are people online who are placing bets that you will be in the same situation in a very short time. I find it difficult to disagree. Please Jay, I implore you. Prove us wrong. Stop drinking, listen to those who know more than you and who you've not driven away yet. And do it before it's too late.

Sincerely,
Steve Smith

I too questioned your motives Steve. Not that you had bad motives but I felt that you were chasing a useless windmill. But after reading the above letter I think I owe you an apology and a thanks for being a better man than me in this situation. I read all your requests and put seriously thought on whether to drive up there with equipment or not. I did not. I should have. If it is of any consulation or worth there is I believe a Pay it forward Karma. Next time an opportunity arises for me to lend a hand your efforts here will certainly help to inspire and motivate me into easier action the next time. Good work my man.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 13:43   #180

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I read all your requests and put seriously thought on whether to drive up there with equipment or not. I did not. I should have. If it is of any consulation or worth there is I believe a Pay it forward Karma. Next time an opportunity arises for me to lend a hand your efforts here will certainly help to inspire and motivate me into easier action the next time. Good work my man.
Tellie,

He is a lot like you.

Rock solid

Honest