Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2020, 08:25   #76
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Permanent U.S. Phone Number for Two Factor Authentication

It's easier to just download and test it than it is to grok the "how the sausage gets made" technical details.

The fact that they have the two different "dimensions" to the service is confusing.

Best to call one the "VoIP app only" side, and the other the "mobile service provider", or "SIM based" side.

The former is the solution to this thread's topic, the latter is irrelevant to anyone outside the US or Canada.

But if you do sign up for the latter, it does work seamlessly with the former, when someone calls me my TN handset receives SMS and rings at the same time as all my other logged in devices, and I can answer from any of them.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 08:34   #77

I agree with everything you said.

But the reason the texts don't work with Skype is that the bank recognizes the number as a VOIP and won't send the text. I was concerned that textnow would be the same.

The question I asked textnow was "need to be able to receive SMS for 2FA authentication internationally" their response was we cannot do that.

So that is where I am for now.
chrisboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 10:03   #78
cruiser

Not all techs have a clue.

Or as I said maybe they interpreted your question with their SIM-based service in mind.

Free to test anyway.

Say what bank, maybe I'm using TN with it now?

And yes Skype will never be a good option for this case.
Old 18-01-2020, 14:59   #79

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisboat View Post
I agree with everything you said.

But the reason the texts don't work with Skype is that the bank recognizes the number as a VOIP and won't send the text. I was concerned that textnow would be the same.

The question I asked textnow was "need to be able to receive SMS for 2FA authentication internationally" their response was we cannot do that.

So that is where I am for now.
Skype officially does not support receiving SMS messages. You can send SMS from Skype but not receive.

I tested international SMS send and receive on TextNow today and it worked. Sent & received between Panama & USA several times.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 15:09   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Watch out if you don't use the free version regularly, they recycle the number, then you get a new one assigned.

Pay the $3/mo for premium if you come to depend on it so you don't need to worry.

And for outbound outside NA need to put in some prepay, don't expire and rates likely reasonable.

The same account can be used from a PC, tablets, multiple phones concurrently. But for voice you need a good WiFi (any decent internet) connection for clarity.

Next batch of DIDs I need will likely test Vyke
Just a note for subscribing to the $3/mo TextNow Premium plan...its not obvious how to do this...at least not from the Android app. Their web site lists a bunch of different plans which you can subscribe to from the web site, but under the $3/mo Premium plan it lists it as an app/app store purchase...OK...look in app...no subsribe menu item...look in Google Play...no TextNow subscriptions for sale...hmmm...click "remove ads" in TextNow app when an ad is displayed...BINGO!

Awkward way to get to a subscription.
Old 18-01-2020, 15:16   #81
cruiser

Yes, cheapest option not well promoted 8-)

Why I highlight it. . .

Also for anyone staying in NA, the cheapest SIM provider option appears to be $20 or so, but if you call to let them know you're thinking of leaving, there's a unadvertised deal with (even) less data but still unlimited T&T for like $11, used to be $8.99. . .
Old 09-02-2020, 19:22   #82

John, thanks for the tip on TextNow. Ive successfully done a few 2FA's with USA financial institutions. [emoji41]
Old 17-10-2020, 14:30   #83

Boat: windrider tri16

Greetings to all you're so helpful and knowledgeable on so many subjects, if I port a number into text now I can't imagine they could change it for not using it whether I pay or not, do you think that's the case?
stu291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 05:48   #84

With TextNow looks like now the only way to keep your number is $9.99 per month. Way too expensive. Any suggestions
Old 18-10-2020, 06:24   #85

Boat: Pearson 303

For the more technically oriented, setup an account on Twilio, add $10 of balance and setup your own sms forwarding by following their guides, no coding necessary.

1. Create a TwiML bin that forwards and incoming message to your number,
2. Buy a phone number and point incoming texts to this bin (it's really that easy). You can choose any area code you'd like they're $1/month.

Your bin should have the following content:
Quote:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Response>
<Message to='+15551231234'>{{From}}: {{Body}}</Message>
</Response>
Replace +15551231234 with your international number.
sveinung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 06:26   #86

I havent been hit with a monthly fee yet, but will take a look.

If I could port my Skype number to TextNow I just might switch (Skype doesnt do SMS). Will need to investigate their voice related capabilities first though.

TextNow has been great for 2FA with USA financial instituions...most of mine are using it now.
Old 18-10-2020, 06:49   #87

to belizesailor
are you currently using the $3 a month plan to ensure you don't loose your number? It seems necessary to do that so that the 2FA has a consistent number or are you using the free plan and haven't had an issue with loosing your number.

I would be willing to spend $3 a month but not $9.99 a month. I cannot find the $3 a month anywhere.
Old 18-10-2020, 07:00   #88

to sveinung,
Getting 2FA from US companies is my only requirement.

I only have an international country +590 phone number and a Skype USA phone number.

My problem is that I cannot get 2FA to skype as it is not supported and most US businesses will not 2FA to an international number.

Is there an inexpensive way to get Twillo to work for me.
Old 18-10-2020, 10:24   #89

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveinung View Post
For the more technically oriented, setup an account on Twilio, add $10 of balance and setup your own sms forwarding by following their guides, no coding necessary.

1. Create a TwiML bin that forwards and incoming message to your number,
2. Buy a phone number and point incoming texts to this bin (it's really that easy). You can choose any area code you'd like they're $1/month.

Your bin should have the following content:

Replace +15551231234 with your international number.

Hi: OP here. I've just bought a Twilio number. I'm trying to set up your bin to forward SMS messages to one of my European phones, which seems simpler than setting up a messaging app.

What do you recommend for voice? Is there a simple bin for forwarding calls? Or maybe a standard SIP client would work?

Thanks for this very interesting lead. It's a bit too technical for me, but I am slogging through it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 11:05   #90

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I managed to get the thing to accept calls and forward to a European number. There is a pre-built app which will forward voice calls.

ONE IMPORTANT POINT -- there are geo-limitations on accepting calls. You need to set the permissions in order to be able to receive calls and texts from someplace other than the U.S.

For some reason it won't accept SMS's from Skype.

My Wells Fargo account wouldn't accept the Twilio phone number Seems they use lists of recognized carriers, or something. This is not good.

I will like to be able to make calls OUT using this, and maybe I'll even buy some other numbers for other countries, if the quality is good.
'
Any recommendations on the best SIP VOIP app for this?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phone