Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2016, 12:37   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Permanent residence in Central America??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
Some clarification to my question...Home and boat purchase/maintenance are not coming out of the 1500 per month. 1500 is just for living expenses. We can show the required monthly pension amount(if needed) required for all the countries mentioned above. Home budget 125K- 200K.
Ah, thats much more comfortable then.

You can easily buy a nice home alomst anywhere in C.A. for that amount or less. Higher prices in upscale sections of major cities like Guatemala City or Panama City (you could easily drop well over that on an upscale home in some areas there) or choice/popular coastal areas, or upscale gated communities for gringos (why even bother living in CA like that?)
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 12:57   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by swpeterson View Post
https://internationalliving.com/

Take a look at Ecuador. But those are the people who will give you straight scoop about being an expat anywhere in the world.

There is a conference in April in New Orleans. But just go up and read the free stuff first so that you can get your feet wet.

Ecuador does have a coast so you can have your boat. But it is the mountains that get a lot of the attention.

Lots of rivers. You can make your budget work in many places especially as you have capital.
Here I fixed that for you:

https://internationalliving.com/

... But those are [NOT] the people who will give you straight scoop about being an expat [ANY] where in the world...

No offence intended, but...International Living specifically, and similar organizations, is just a thinly veiled marketing front. About as credible as an infomercial. I know people who've worked and wrote for them and watched them parade groups of naive gringos thru on well orchestrated tours on a regular basis.

Go directly to expats in the area where you think you want to be for valid info, they are easy enough to find.
Old 23-02-2016, 13:02   #18

Hi, check out International Living for places to retire around the world, you will be surprised at all the different places and they give the costs for everything. Worth looking at.

Good luck
Wayne
nomisfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 13:13   #19
CPO

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 35

Forget International LIving. As BelizeSailor said, it's a marketing ploy.

I got residency and lived in Nicaragua for a number of years. Easy to do, cheap living and safe. Sailing is great on the Pacific side, but not great diving. Caribbean side is great diving, sailing is great, but infrastructure isn't as good. Pluses and minuses. I also HIGHLY recommend renting for awhile before you make the move. It's definitely not the U.S. Do you speak Spanish? Not an absolute requirement, but it really helps.

If I were to do it over again, I'd probably opt for Panama (I still have a place in Nicaragua and visit often). Great infrastructure, lot's of English, great jubilado (retireee) plan and great sailing and diving.
CPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 13:17   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
Re; Costa Rica. Check out this web site. The guy is not a real estate broker, so you'll get a more realistic picture of life. It is my understanding that Costa Rica has less problems than other Central American countries in that there is no indigenous population in conflict with the decedents of the Spanish that came 400-500 years ago.

The Real Costa Rica. Everything you want or need to know about Costa Rica
Bit of history: minimal indigenous population in CR because the Spanish maintained a steady stream of indigenous men from there to work the Inca gold mines/transport in Peru. It was a one way ticket, worked to death in Peru.

Costa Rica does have less large scale socio/political/economic problems than many other CA countries. Guatemala, in stark contrast, has problems of such scale and complexity that I think they are intractable, but it is an amazing country.

Have several friends who moved from CR to Panama due to rising cost and crime (area dependent in both countries).
Old 23-02-2016, 13:35   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPO View Post

I got residency and lived in Nicaragua for a number of years. Easy to do, cheap living and safe. Sailing is great on the Pacific side, but not great diving. Caribbean side is great diving, sailing is great, but infrastructure isn't as good. Pluses and minuses. I also HIGHLY recommend renting for awhile before you make the move. It's definitely not the U.S. Do you speak Spanish? Not an absolute requirement, but it really helps.

If I were to do it over again, I'd probably opt for Panama (I still have a place in Nicaragua and visit often). Great infrastructure, lot's of English, great jubilado (retireee) plan and great sailing and diving.
Absolutely true and good advice. Even Costa Rica has a level of crime most Americans do not want to deal with. True throughout Central America. The legal systems are way different than here. Most folks give up and return to the States after several years. So rent and try first.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 13:38   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPO View Post

We really like Nica a lot too and would certainly consider living there. Still travel there and plan to return (awesome Tarpon fishing trip last year on the Rio San Juan).

Statistically now one of the safest countries in CA (parts of Carib coast excluded).
Old 23-02-2016, 13:44   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
If you do much research on living in C.A. you will see this statement often; spend some months in your country of choice before buying. Unless you have already spend at least a few months in a country, this is very good advice. I just love these countries, but there is some major cultural differences that a lot of people can't contend with. Also you might love it, but your spouse may not care for it.
What you are proposing can be done with a bit of research. Good luck.
Absolutely, I love living in CA, but its not for everybody. Many who just jump in without a clue dont last long (follow them around for good real estate deals!).

Travel around, find a place(s) you like and rent for a while. Visiting as a tourist and living in a place are often two very different things.
Old 23-02-2016, 13:50   #24

Re: Permanent residence in Central America?

Another plus of Panama is that its economy is booming and it has better infrastructure than most other CA countries. We often comment, that while Panama still certainly has local color/culture, it is not really a third-world country anymore.

Most areas of the CA4 by contrast are pretty sparse on infrastructure.
Old 23-02-2016, 14:42   #25

Boat: Lazy-Boy, fold out

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
If you do much research on living in C.A. you will see this statement often; spend some months in your country of choice before buying. Unless you have already spend at least a few months in a country, this is very good advice. I just love these countries, but there is some major cultural differences that a lot of people can't contend with. Also you might love it, but your spouse may not care for it.
What you are proposing can be done with a bit of research. Good luck.
True, I loved Costa Rica, my wife hated it. To many people with guns and the bars on the windows she said!!!
Comix Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 15:40   #26

Boat: solaris 42 1978

i been in panama retired 14 years not as cheap as it once was 1,000 month provable income get a pensianado cedular you are a permanent resident . many benefits for being one cheap health care is not one ..
svfraidknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 15:43   #27
uhu

... but most important - get a goooood grip on Spanish and humbleness - it makes all the difference with the locals
uhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 16:25   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfraidknot View Post
i been in panama retired 14 years not as cheap as it once was 1,000 month provable income get a pensianado cedular you are a permanent resident . many benefits for being one cheap health care is not one ..
Yes, I was surprised to discover this in Panama (after being spoiled by great inexpensive healthcare in Guate). Seems to vary a lot in Pamama based on provider, but still way cheaper than the USA.

Still $1k per month income requirement per individual, but it must be an official pension.
Old 23-02-2016, 17:21   #29

Boat: Union cutter 33

We just came bac from Roatan honduras spent 2 weeks there u can buy nice condo for 160k...fairly reasoable food cost and best diving in Caribbean
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 17:52   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek010 View Post
Puerto Rico does have some beautiful places and falls well within your budget and really don't have to worry about any residency restrictions.
Does living in Puerto Rico exempt you from the ACA?
Alchemist 66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Central America, enc