Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-08-2016, 08:38   #16

Boat: want a Westerly
Re: Perkins diesel needing more oil after a 4 hr cruise

from Perkins 4236 oil consumption puzzle

"We were able to rule out the obvious including the main seal on the back of the crankshaft, loose nuts and holes in the sump.

What we eventually found was that the tube that contains the dipstick had corroded through just where it enters the sump and was allowing oil to leak on higher (>1600) revs only.

Solution
A new stainless steel pipe was welded onto the nut attaching the tube to the sump.

2 hours of high revs engine trials later we confirmed that there was no more leaks "

Old 29-08-2016, 08:50   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If it makes good power, has good oil pressure and starts easily, there is nothing to fix, just keep adding oil.
One day it will start blowing blue smoke and or make the whole back of the boat filthy, then you need to start thinking about an overhaul, but that may be years from now.
I'd run her hard for a few hours, I have seen engines reseat the rings and be just fine, and I have seen them not, but you don't know til you try. If you have already run her hard for several hours and no improvement, it may not improve, but I wouldn't overhaul and engine just for excessive oil consumption, but I would be looking hard for a leak, like maybe oil cooler?

Old 29-08-2016, 09:06   #18

Blown head gasket, leaking pan, or hole in the block; all possible. That is a lot of oil to lose in so short of time. Danger is that you may actually run out of all oil if the leak gets worse and you fry the engine. Time to call in the repair crews.
Old 29-08-2016, 09:21   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Self-built 44' steel trawler

On the other hand, you add oil to Detroit Diesels when they stop leaking.
Old 29-08-2016, 09:21   #20

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

My thoughts are similar to jimbunyard and A64pilot.

Those years of lower RPM running could be considered a lower load situation like those of us who charge our batteries with the main engine. Which of course creates a situation on the cylinder walls that reveals itself when later the engine is run under more load.

For me, after several days or weeks at an anchorage, if I set off under normal cruising speed I get a little smoke. But if I gradually encrease speed in half hour increments there is no smoke and all is normal once full cruise RPM is reached. And all is normal until the next time I stay in an anchorage too long charging batteries with the engine. 3000hrs yanmar 3GM30F.

Were I you, I'd consider instead of the 1600 or 2400 revs, start out the first hour at maybe 1750, hour two 1900, third 2100, and finally 2400. See what happens, if for no other reason than it costs nothing to try it.

Of course looking for a leak source is good. It didn't leak before you started cruising at higher revs. So somehow that relates possibly, like the dip tube issue.
Old 29-08-2016, 13:51   #21

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

If there is no blue smoke it most likely is leaking. If oil is getting into the combustion chamber it will create bluish smoke from whatever path it has taken to get there so it suggests its not getting into there.
Old 29-08-2016, 14:12   #22

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

uhhmmm reading yr original post again you say there is a slight white fog coming out the exhaust. Wouldnt have thought that the water would be cold enough in SoCal at this time of year to cause that so it's possible that the oil is getting into your combustion chamber. With your previous problems ( overheating low revs) I would suspect worn rings. It can happen that you still have sufficient compression but a very sad oil control ring. Agree with previous post that you can run an oil burning diesel for a long time though if you can stand the fumes & just keep adding oil in time
Old 29-08-2016, 15:45   #23

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

My thought is running at a low RPM for so long and not loading up the engine, it may have glazed the cylinder walls. A diesel mechanic may know what additive to run through it to re-seat the rings.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 15:59   #24

Boat: Houseboat, 45ft.

What oil are you using now?
If you're now using one of these detergent oils like recommended for modern diesels (Cummins, Cats etc) then I'd suggest you've flushed the NEEDED carbon build up under the rings & now are pumping oil.
Try going back to plain old 20W50 and reduce your revs for a while & see if it'll take up again. Been there, done that on old Listers.
Old 29-08-2016, 16:31   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
uhhmmm reading yr original post again you say there is a slight white fog coming out the exhaust. Wouldnt have thought that the water would be cold enough in SoCal at this time of year to cause that so it's possible that the oil is getting into your combustion chamber. With your previous problems ( overheating low revs) I would suspect worn rings. It can happen that you still have sufficient compression but a very sad oil control ring. Agree with previous post that you can run an oil burning diesel for a long time though if you can stand the fumes & just keep adding oil in time
Could be rings, could be cracks in the head or just a leaky oil drain plug. With that much oil loss, if it were rings, would be noticeable in the exhaust. If he can not find oil in his bilge, then its going out the exhaust, either before or after combustion. In any event, a bad sign. Time for a new boat.
Old 29-08-2016, 17:39   #26

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

My 4.236 uses oil at 2000 rpm but not at 1800 rpm which is the hull speed, 7 kts, rpm. I also generate steam at 2000 rpm.
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 06:01   #27

Boat: Pearson 530

Our 4.236 is 30 years old and we add 1qt. for every 12 hours, more if running hard. Been doing that for five years.

All U Get
Old 30-08-2016, 09:17   #28

Boat: Cal T2 27', Renken 18, Macgregor Venture Cat 15

Try some additives Like Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant, Power Service Silver, Howes and keep some Algeacide (or occasionaly up to 1% gasoline will also accomplish this) product in your fuel. Other good products I would recommend are the Liqui Moly 2037 Pro-Line Engine Flush at each oil change, Liqui Moly 2002 Super Diesel Additive - reduces friction, Liqui Moly 2005 Diesel Purge - 500 ml (watch youtubes on how to use this). All available from Amazon.
This new low sulpher diesel fuel needs help and the older motors hate it. You need to add something to increase Lubricity and keep your rings free and decarbonded.
I had 28,000 hours on a 2 cylinder Yanmar on my Semi-Trucks APU (auxiliary power unit) that ran HVAC and kept batteries charged when not idling the 15 liter cummins main engine at night, it was serviced evry 600 hrs and did use oil but still started and ran fine.
I rotate all these products on my 1982s diesel mercedes 300CD and mercedes powered 300 Turbo diesel Toyota 4x4. The problem with most sailboats is the lack of hours these motors get in extreme conditions.
I would not recommend synthetic oil for oider motors as the advatange of extended interval change is lost unless your running lots of of hours (which you don't on boats), and oil consumption will increase and compression will decrease with the thinner oil. Your oil should be changed a minimum of annually or the recommended hours by manufacturer.
On our farm tractors this was 100 - 200 hours depending on how dirty the use was on over the road Semi's its about every 500 hours or about 20,000 miles depending on idle time, more idling shorter interval.
Diesel Mechanics aren't cheap and often do things that aren't required (hey they need to make a living too) when some good preventative practices can keep them out of your pocket.

Tags
cruise, diesel, oil, perkins

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: