Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2019, 10:39   #1

Boat: Bayfield 29
Pending offer on 1985 Bayfield 29C

The offer I placed on the Allied Seabreeze was not accepted by the owner, so I moved on. The Allied will be a great project boat for someone, perhaps even me, at some point.

Meanwhile, my search turned up a 1985 Bayfield 29C cutter rigged. It's with a local yacht broker due to the owner being elderly, and not able to sail her anymore. The boat has been with them, at their full service marina right along, so they are familiar with her. My offer was accepted based upon my inspection, it's a couple hours from my home now. My surveyor friend is assisting me with the purchase.

If anyone has some pointers for me ie what specifically to look for on this model, please chime in. I'm really excited, the layout is so roomy for this size boat!
RossD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:37   #2

Boat: C&C Landfall 38
Re: Pending offer on 1985 Bayfield 29C

Sailed one for 3 years, nothing specific too worry about general condition mainly they are pretty bomb proof. A friend sailed his Canada to Australia, he never came back.......
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:03   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
Sailed one for 3 years, nothing specific too worry about general condition mainly they are pretty bomb proof. A friend sailed his Canada to Australia, he never came back.......
So he never came back, sounds a little scary.
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 13:01   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Graham View Post
So he never came back, sounds a little scary.
He found a mermaid in Australia?
Old 09-01-2019, 20:50   #5

The one issue I do know about is that the Raymarine 4000 head unit is shot, not certain what, if anything, can replace it and use current components.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:17   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

here are some reviews you many want to review.

Bayfield 29 — An early review | Seeker

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...32-a-9353.html
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:54   #7

Boat: S/V Nisus 36' Bayfield

Lived and sailed aboard a 36’ Bayfield boat for almost 10 years. Great boat. Built like a tank. Definitely not a racer...you get there but you never spill your drink. Very practical layout.
svnisus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:13   #8

Boat: Freedom 30

I've seen several Raymarine 4000 units on EBAY recently
Jaqun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 15:15   #9

Thanks for the replies! I have checked eBay but it seems the old head units offered there run around $500 and obviously don't have any guarantee, I'm wondering if it's worth taking the chance. Was hoping a newer head unit might be available. Or at least salvage some of the components.
Old 10-01-2019, 17:00   #10

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

The Bayfield 29 is a great boat. A good friend had one, and I visited him and his boat often during his refit to sail south (from Lake Ontario).

Well made, full keel, strong boat. The layout below is pretty nice. Shallow draft good for thin water! Love the yanmar.

However, I found the cockpit to be small. The wheel made it seem even smaller...maybe the tiller version is a bit better. And when he finally launched his boat, I literally sailed circles around him, he was so slow. Part of the problem was that he overloaded the boat with all the stuff he thought he needed...all chain, extra anchors, tons of extra tools and gear.

So I give the boat a thumbs up, but only if you are very patient, ready to go slow.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 19:59   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
The Bayfield 29 is a great boat. A good friend had one, and I visited him and his boat often during his refit to sail south (from Lake Ontario).

Well made, full keel, strong boat. The layout below is pretty nice. Shallow draft good for thin water! Love the yanmar.

However, I found the cockpit to be small. The wheel made it seem even smaller...maybe the tiller version is a bit better. And when he finally launched his boat, I literally sailed circles around him, he was so slow. Part of the problem was that he overloaded the boat with all the stuff he thought he needed...all chain, extra anchors, tons of extra tools and gear.

So I give the boat a thumbs up, but only if you are very patient, ready to go slow.
I would say for the time being I am ready to go slow. This is my first sailboat since my 20's, decades ago. I have my eye on a project John Alden Malabar and an Allied Seabreeze, so the first one to materialize will eventually be my move on upward in speed.

I did note the smallish cockpit, seems that my friend's Cape Dory 30 has a similar situation although I don't remember the exact configuration. I'm inspecting the boat this weekend if the weather isn't terrible. Hopefully that will give me a hands on assessment.
Old 11-01-2019, 21:21   #12

Boat: Bayfield 29 Sailboat

Go for it!
I've had a 1982 Bayfield 29 for four years.
Wheel steering.
Cockpit is small but interior is quite roomy.
I've sailed with five adults. Crowded, but doable.
Can handle more wind than I can.
Sails very well as a sloop rig. Inner stay and sail removed.
Just started sailing it as a cutter rig. Very small head sail and medium size staysail.(Inner sail).
More work tacking with cutter rig, but hey, it's sailing!
People are awed with the large forward head area instead of a v-birth.
Can be a bit cramped in the cabin with the table folded out.
Tons of storage.
The 120 volt wiring was household solid copper wire and the breaker was an unsealed rusty metal box under the port cockpit seat. This was all redone with silvered marine rated wire and the proper breaker was moved inside.
Some water gets in via the mast but a good boot eliminates most of that.
The port lites leak bit but new seals will fix that.
I installed windless as I don't like hauling anchor rode by hand.
The outboard chainplates go through the deck. The cover will need resealing every few years.
The inner chainplates are attached to the cabin roof sides, onto a fiberglass tab, so no wooden bulkhead to rot.
Transom is solid fiberglass, at least where I drilled into, about 1/2 inch thick.
The hull is known to have blisters but I've been told this is not a major problem for the thick hull.
Overall, I'm very happy with my Bayfield 29.
windshadowthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by windshadowthree View Post
Go for it!
I've had a 1982 Bayfield 29 for four years.
Wheel steering.
Cockpit is small but interior is quite roomy.
I've sailed with five adults. Crowded, but doable.
Can handle more wind than I can.
Sails very well as a sloop rig. Inner stay and sail removed.
Just started sailing it as a cutter rig. Very small head sail and medium size staysail.(Inner sail).
More work tacking with cutter rig, but hey, it's sailing!
People are awed with the large forward head area instead of a v-birth.
Can be a bit cramped in the cabin with the table folded out.
Tons of storage.
The 120 volt wiring was household solid copper wire and the breaker was an unsealed rusty metal box under the port cockpit seat. This was all redone with silvered marine rated wire and the proper breaker was moved inside.
Some water gets in via the mast but a good boot eliminates most of that.
The port lites leak bit but new seals will fix that.
I installed windless as I don't like hauling anchor rode by hand.
The outboard chainplates go through the deck. The cover will need resealing every few years.
The inner chainplates are attached to the cabin roof sides, onto a fiberglass tab, so no wooden bulkhead to rot.
Transom is solid fiberglass, at least where I drilled into, about 1/2 inch thick.
The hull is known to have blisters but I've been told this is not a major problem for the thick hull.
Overall, I'm very happy with my Bayfield 29.
Blisters, another item for me to look closely for, I had not heard about them re the Bayfield. Whatever I find will come in to play should I decide to renegotiate the selling price. The wiring part is a bit scary, for such a good builder I'm a bit surprised at this. I've owned scores of boats over the years, some high end, some mid tier, none had household wiring. Do you recall how much A/C wiring is in that boat? Thank you for all this information!
Old 12-01-2019, 12:29   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossD View Post
...none had household wiring. Do you recall how much A/C wiring is in that boat? Thank you for all this information!
On several of my older sailboats (under 30 feet), I simply removed all AC wiring, outlets and components. Unless you have refrigeration or an electric drive, really no need for shorepower or AC. I like a simple boat. You can also remove most of the DC wiring as well. Do you really need 10 lights below on a 27 foot boat...flashlights are cheap.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:37   #15

Check the through hulls...they should all have ball valve shutoffs. In the 70's they often installed cheaper gate valves, which are not suitable for boats. I guess the gate valves went nicely with the household wiring...LOL.

In Ontario where Bayfields were built (I think in Goderich?) they only have fresh water, so it wasn't such a big deal at the time.

A ball valve has a long handle that turns 90 degrees.
A gate valve has a round handle that turns many rotations.

Tags
offer