Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 09:37   #1

Boat: Westerly Centaur
Party over, back in Blighty

I got a message from my brother a while back. "mum has pancreatic cancer, come home now". So I did.
Now I'm back in sunny Sheffield UK, with no boat, no fiancee and my mother has only a few days left we believe.
My Westerly Centaur is stuck in Coinjock NC and doesn't look like it will ever get to sail the Bahamas, which is all I really wanted. Fiancee can't handle that task on her own and I wouldn't expect her to. She'll be flying over to join me here in a couple of weeks.
I've been living in my mothers house and hating it. I can't sleep because the bed doesn't rock. Even in this tiny flat I still miss the security of my tinier boat. So, even though I'm on a mega tight budget I'm looking for a small sailboat, we can live on here in the UK. Something cheap or free with a reasonable mooring fee. I have my brother in Cornwall on the hunt down there but he's not a boat person so I don't expect much there. Though Cornwall would suit me perfect.
For now It's daily trips to the hospital to visit mum and late nights on skype consoling my beloved.
Heartbroken to be losing mum and heartbroken to have lost my dream.
Hillbillylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:47   #2

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Party over, back in Blighty

So sorry to hear about your mom. Hang in there and be there for her to the end.

Then . . . once her affairs have been more or less settled, why can't you return to your boat and continue on to the Bahamas?
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 13:39   #3

Its sounds like not too many weeks until you can return,tell your fiance to hang on there and save the money.These things happen to us all,nobody lives forever,hang on there until all is settled then go back,you would be wise to wait until the end of hurricane season anyway.I spend every summer in the USA and come back to the UK and France normally at the end of September a month early this year,I have a couple of boats out there.
desperate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 17:18   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Sorry to hear about your mum. Life is long but family first. take the time to be with her and focus on the situation at hand and your mum.

The Bahamas is still there and the ocean is still there. If you want to get back to it you will..
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote