Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Now we have to start all over again...
Hmmm ...

Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:57   #212

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM
Re: PAN PAN....OR PON PON

I always thought ponpons were what cheerleaders use.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:05   #213

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

There are at least 3 "a" sounds in American English, (as opposed to UK-speak ["English"] or Australian "English" which is really "Stryne". In American English, that "a" may be pronounced "a" as in apple, "a" as in ask, which is a slightly broader "a", or as "a" as in "Bah!"

Our esteemed colleague "Bash" 's "a" is the apple "a".

And "pan" with the "apple" a will be recognized, but nor is it pronounced exactly the same as the French "panne", just how it is.

I gotta thank all you previous participants, I've had huge chuckles from this thread, and guess others have, too, which may be the reason it's gone on so long. Fun to read adults playing.
Old 05-03-2013, 16:52   #214
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_W View Post

That's perfect example and illustration ... good case in point.

That CG PAN-PAN call that sounds to you "pon-pon" sounds to me "pan-pan" ... when I say PAN it sounds very much like that recording. If two of us would argue using written medium, we could do that till cows come home and never agree. Meantime, the sound we are trying to describe using different spelling is more less the same.

All is well ...
That must be one of the worst official ways to handle and pronounce VHF pro words. Firstly its wrong, spoken way too fast and poor radio procedure. That would not pass a European CEPT radio exam as procedure. ( and I mean the CG operator )

Dave
Old 05-03-2013, 17:00   #215
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
There are at least 3 "a" sounds in American English, (as opposed to UK-speak ["English"] or Australian "English" which is really "Stryne". In American English, that "a" may be pronounced "a" as in apple, "a" as in ask, which is a slightly broader "a", or as "a" as in "Bah!"

And "pan" with the "apple" a will be recognized, but nor is it pronounced exactly the same as the French "panne", just how it is.

I gotta thank all you previous participants, I've had huge chuckles from this thread, and guess others have, too, which may be the reason it's gone on so long. Fun to read adults playing.
There's an important point here ANn, and that is that VHF pro-words are not pronounced as English words , ie not as read. They are supposed to be " sounds " hence PAN can only be spoken one " correct" way. Its doesnt matter how yours pronounce your "a" s. ( ie write it down anyway you like as long as you pronounce it pan with a hard a)

Its the same comment I made about somebody claiming silence mayday is acceptable. , it will be understood by English speakers but its not a pro word.
Dave
Old 05-03-2013, 17:16   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
That must be one of the worst official ways to handle and pronounce VHF pro words. Firstly its wrong, spoken way too fast and poor radio procedure. That would not pass a European CEPT radio exam as procedure. ( and I mean the CG operator )
Do you really mean the female officer in this recording below is incompetent?

Doing things slowly by the book to the letter usually works well in labs only. The real life trows the curves. I had no problem understanding the words, meaning, and intention of this officer ... and I am not a native English language speaker. I wish everybody would sound like her on the radio ...
Old 05-03-2013, 17:34   #217

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
I wish everybody would sound like her on the radio.
I'll second that.
Old 05-03-2013, 18:17   #218

Boat: Beneteau First 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
It is International regulation and can't be different for the US or anyone else. Not that they would have a clue here in Latin America when you would call pan-pan but hey, this is Latin America

Don't get me started about what Pon-pon means...
Ding Ding.....or should I say Pon-Pon
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 18:23   #219
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Actually "small minds" ;-)

If you feel the need to quote the man please quite him accurately
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 18:44   #220

You guys are killing me ... 8)

Quote:
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. � 'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' � Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood.
Source: Self-Reliance

Should we change the title of this topic to ... it's about time:

LITTLE MINDS ... or SMALL MINDS

And this is my 100th post on this forum ...
Old 06-03-2013, 00:19   #221

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Actually, the reason the coasties in new england pronounce PAN as PON is the same reason they pronounce Boston as Baston. It is the new england dialect. My name is spelled carsten. Americans pronounce it as car sten, unless they happen to be from new england and then they pronnounce it correctly ka sten. The new england coasties are seeing the written word PAN and prouncing it new england style (since they generally do not speak french up there).

But interesting thread, wonder why the us does not require a test for a vhf license?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 19:51   #222

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:

Ah! Excellent explaination.
Old 15-09-2016, 22:15   #223

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Ah! Excellent explaination.
I read goboatingnow's criticism of what I wrote back in 2013, and went and googled the prowords. I'm thinking that means pro for protocol. Until goboatingnow mentioned them, I'd not heard of them, so thanks, gbn.

What I discovered, was that the correct pronunciation was written "p" followed by an "a" and an "e", elided together the way the ae in anaesthetic is in British English, followed by an "n".

Now, I found that confusing, because I'm used to hearing that "ae" as a "long" e. And I don't know what goboatingnow meant by a "hard 'a'". Maybe a "long " "a".

Still, if you use the apple "a", everyone will know what you meant to be saying, at least in the US and across the Pacific.

Ann
Old 16-09-2016, 00:08   #224

Quote:
I read goboatingnow's criticism of what I wrote back in 2013, and went and googled the prowords. I'm thinking that means pro for protocol. Until goboatingnow mentioned them, I'd not heard of them, so thanks, gbn.

What I discovered, was that the correct pronunciation was written "p" followed by an "a" and an "e", elided together the way the ae in anaesthetic is in British English, followed by an "n".

Now, I found that confusing, because I'm used to hearing that "ae" as a "long" e. And I don't know what goboatingnow meant by a "hard 'a'". Maybe a "long " "a".

Still, if you use the apple "a", everyone will know what you meant to be saying, at least in the US and across the Pacific.

Ann
Very interesting linguistics question.

Do you pronounce anaesthetic. Anaaesthetic or Anaeesthetic? I added the extra vowel in each word for linguistic emphasis.

Is it not similar to wether you say tomaytoe or tomartoe.

I think in the case of an emergency signal one should adopt the linguistic style that is in common use. So as to avoid miscommunication. After all, clarity of message is what is most important. IMHO
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 01:03   #225

Boat: Westerly Sealord

My wethers say 'Baa' whatever the weather..

Its not what you say..... its how they hear it..