Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2014, 18:37   #1

Palm beach

We are looking to buy a boat currently moored in the treasure coast ... are there any free moorings in west palm beach area ... and if so how long can they stay?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Shizog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 20:42   #2

Boat: csy 37
Re: Palm beach

Lake Worth (the West Palm Beach area) is one giant free mooring area. We have personally stayed in North Lake, which is at the north end of Lake Worth. I'll bet that if you do a Google Earth you will quickly spot all of the free mooring areas.

And you can stay forever, as some appear to have.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 21:00   #3

Awesome! My fiancé does not want to keep the boat too far away so this will work I'll look into it thank you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Shizog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 21:37   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Lots of places to anchor also. Good staging area.
Old 25-10-2014, 00:50   #5

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

Hi Guys

There is more than one Palm Beach. You nearly got info for the one in Pittwater, Aus. It might be a good idea for locations to be more specific in such posts. Just saying

Sue
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 04:59   #6

Boat: Leopard 40
Palm beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Lake Worth (the West Palm Beach area) is one giant free mooring area. We have personally stayed in North Lake, which is at the north end of Lake Worth. I'll bet that if you do a Google Earth you will quickly spot all of the free mooring areas.

And you can stay forever, as some appear to have.

The moorings are placed and maintained by the boat owners ( those south of the inlet anyway). You should not just grab one and stay. The people in the field do look after each others boats and moorings. You could place your own mooring there if you wanted. I also saw a mooring for sale on a bulletin board at the Palm Beach Sail club so you could try that. You might also consider there are no nearby dinghy docks in the mooring field. Most either dinghy from homes nearby or belong to the sail club, which isn't free.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 05:24   #7

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

What Shaktigurl said about boat owners installing their own gear at their own expense is correct, so just grabing an empty mooring will not be met kindly by returning owners. We are currently out cruising and expect our mooring to be open when we arrive. She is also correct that the owners in the field watch over their neighbors gear while they are away. That said its easy to install your own mooring if you dive. If not Zack at Eastern Marine Services will gladly install one designed for your boat, he does great work and can be reached at (561) 744-2242. There are several parks in the South Lake Worth mooring field where people anchor their dingys for free as well but it can be a real hassel to find parking nearby and to get to your dinghy if you anchored it at low tide and come back at high, i.e. Your going to get wet. The palm beach sailing club is a good compromise between cost and convience.
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 08:25   #8

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapient sue View Post
Hi Guys

There is more than one Palm Beach. You nearly got info for the one in Pittwater, Aus. It might be a good idea for locations to be more specific in such posts. Just saying

Sue
Apologies to our Aussie friends. I'll bet there are many "palm beaches" around the world. But the clue - at least to Florida sailors - was the combination of "treasure coast" and "west palm beach".
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote