Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2019, 09:00   #1

Boat: Maple Leaf-48
Oxidized gelcoat ???

My elderly, blue hull, Maple Leaf 48 is badly oxidized. Not wanting to spend a lot to hire a crew ... can anyone suggest a lightweight electric, or air, polisher and compound to get the hull back to original colour AND, since the hull is not new-boat fair, a sealer that is not like a wax shine ? THANKS
rainforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 09:23   #2
cruiser

Re: Oxidized gelcoat ???

Dewalt polisher. 3M system liquid componds and 3M marine paste wax.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0FD5962A-7C68-49FF-8972-F6D7E9B5C827.jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	184240  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 09:33   #3

If it’s badly oxidized, you may have to wet sand it.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/blo...t-11381-1.html
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 12:54   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

DON'T wet sand it. Gelcoat is actually microscopic bubbles, and when you sand it, the bubbles get opened up, and ever after will fill with dirt. Once you hit it with rubbing compound, you're on the downhill side, "improvement" will only be temporary.

I realize this is not an answer to your specific question, but how we dealt with the problem in the past is with a product called PolyGlo. It is a two step deal, a mild acid wash to remove all stain, then a polymer coating. You apply both with an application pad that is also supplied by them, we used a long handle like a floor mop, and it lasts about a year. We would do it at haulout time, although it can be done in the water, at the dock. There is another product, called TSRW (This Stuff Really Works), which does the same thing. This approach to your problem will be less expensive and less labor intensive.

Good look with it.

Ann
Old 21-01-2019, 13:57   #5

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Polyglow and it's clones are a last resort and even then, only a temporary reprieve.

Judicious wet sanding is a reasonable option and if done properly, will way outlast any of the plastic-looking stuff. But before wet sanding which is an aggressive method, try polishing the top sides within any number of products specifically made for this purpose.

And be sure it is in fact colored gel coat and not paint which requires a different approach.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 16:22   #6

Boat: Catalina ??? To be decided

I had this on our HR 53 a few years ago . We wet sanded , 1000 ,3000, 5000 ,7000 then polish . It looked nice for a few months , but soon faded back .
We then had it painted with Alwgrip or maybe it was Alw2000 . Very good ,highly recommend.
saltydog47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 16:30   #7

Boat: S2 9.1

A regular buffer and 3m Imperial compound in the purple bottle works absolute wonders. Try it you will be very happy with it. I was when 5 years ago I tried it on my gelcoat that had absolutely no shine when I got the boat. It is still shining nicely.
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 19:03   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
DON'T wet sand it. Gelcoat is actually microscopic bubbles, and when you sand it, the bubbles get opened up, and ever after will fill with dirt. Once you hit it with rubbing compound, you're on the downhill side, "improvement" will only be temporary.

I realize this is not an answer to your specific question, but how we dealt with the problem in the past is with a product called PolyGlo. It is a two step deal, a mild acid wash to remove all stain, then a polymer coating. You apply both with an application pad that is also supplied by them, we used a long handle like a floor mop, and it lasts about a year. We would do it at haulout time, although it can be done in the water, at the dock. There is another product, called TSRW (This Stuff Really Works), which does the same thing. This approach to your problem will be less expensive and less labor intensive.

Good look with it.

Ann
Following a good rub out using two of the 3M products and 3M wax, our hull looks great following a minimum effort polishing with just water and the annual wax. Never had a problem with “bubbles filling with dirt.” Maybe not all gell coats are created equal? I’ve never heard of that being a problem.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 23:30   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Wash down with soap and water let dry. Then wet down with muratic acid or oxalic acid rinse with lots of water followed by a waxing done deal.
Old 23-01-2019, 12:30   #10

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mc View Post
A regular buffer and 3m Imperial compound in the purple bottle works absolute wonders. Try it you will be very happy with it. I was when 5 years ago I tried it on my gelcoat that had absolutely no shine when I got the boat. It is still shining nicely.
I bought the cheap Chicago DA buffer at Harbor freight. 3m Imperial was amazing, 14 months and my hull still has that nice glow to it.
Drift Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 12:43   #11

I like 3M Finesse It ll. Not abrasive and shines right up. Apply with a damp polisher wheel. Of course you can compound, wet sand etc, but you run the risk of breaking through to dark under color. No protective coat lasts very long though. ... unless you hard wax it. And that is temporary too.
I know some people have used Daly's Sea Fin on fibreglass... I guess it works well for a quick shine up... like when you are selling your boat. But I haven't done that.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 10:20   #12

Boat: Island Packet 35

Googlemarine how to “ ! On that site is a detailed how to on buffing gelcoat !
Sparkplug1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 10:43   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkplug1939 View Post
Google “ marine how to “ ! On that site is a detailed how to on buffing gelcoat !

Same info here:

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...ff-wax.117266/
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 00:59   #14

I use Aquabuff with the help of a buffer.
grecko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gelcoat