Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2015, 22:02   #61

Re: Out cruising-may need surgery

Chris. I agree. But I DONT HAVE THE MONEY TO DO IT RIGHT NOW. So what do you suggest...wanna lend me the airfare and put me and the husband up for an indeterminate amount of time while we hope to get the surgery done, which may or may not be done immediately? Don't worry, the dogs and the cat will stay on the boat.
Svdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 22:28   #62

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

When the admiral developed acute cholecystitis 6 years ago, the ultrasounds showed her gall bladder was full of stones (none in the common bile duct) and every doctor we consulted was for removing her gall bladder.

Fortunately, her sister recommended apple cider vinegar--1 teaspoon well diluted twice a day, and rinse your mouth with water afterwords to save your teeth. The doctors poo-pooed it, but it worked, and her gall bladder hasn't bothered her in years.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 22:33   #63

Don, plan "E" . Actually he has tried apple cider vinegar when he started to get pain...sometimes it worked. Will Try this while we gather the funds.
Svdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:53   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, mauser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
US Consulate in Guate publishes such a list on line. I also have a copy of it if you have trouble finding it.

Plenty of english speaking USA & European trained docs in Guate.
Medical Information and Assistance | Guatemala City, Guatemala - Embassy of the United States

The U.S. Embassy Guatemala assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by the medical professionals, medical facilities or ambulance services whose names appear on the following lists.
http://photos.state.gov/libraries/gu...de20150615.pdf

Neither the Embassy nor the Department of State can assume any responsibility for the accuracy of any of the data provided, the
integrity, or the professional ability of any of the hospitals listed.
http://photos.state.gov/libraries/gu...ls20110111.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:06   #65

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svdestiny View Post
Thanks to all who have responded, even those who have made me feel bad. First let me say that if I had lots of available money, the decision of where or when would be much easier. We cannot afford to fly up and stay in hotels indefinitely. If I knew for a fact it would be a limited time, say a month or less it might be feasible/affordable in a few months. My husband is stable right now.

So unless it becomes an emergency ( which it could, of course, ) I have to choose between paying cash in advance for care here or sailing back to the states. Again, both options feasible in a few months, (can't sail back until boat is put back together and you need funds for the sailing back up)

So can we do anything right now? No. So I am trying to figure out feasibility and risk.

And yes the pets could be boarded, but they are like family to Patrick, and short of an emergency, it ain't gonna happen. And no we are not putting port lights before his health but I'm not keen on a trip from Guat to Florida with no windows and no floor.

So, plan A, save up have it done in Guat city in few months, hope no unexpected.
Plan b, save up, sail to states in a few months, take all the time we need then.

Plan c, dire emergency, borrow money from family (probably kill him with that one
Re lodging and pets. Hotel Las Torres in Guate City is inexpensive, offers an additional discount for cruisers, and accepts pets. I know several who have stayed there during recovery.

Sailing back to the States with a medical condition that could go critical is probably not the best of plans.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:13   #66
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

lithotripsy. busts up the stones so they pass thru the ductus.
has been tried in cedars sinai med center in late 80s, when i worked there. -- research and see if this noninvasive proccedure is do able for you. it should open a whole new door ... best of luck and research the hellout of this before you go under knife.

meanwhile--No FAT diet. NO fat. none.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:27   #67

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Re lodging and pets. Hotel Las Torres in Guate City is inexpensive, offers an additional discount for cruisers, and accepts pets. I know several who have stayed there during recovery.

Sailing back to the States with a medical condition that could go critical is probably not the best of plans.
Some hospitals in Guate also allow family members to stay in suite with the recovering patient. Not the the pets though.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:01   #68

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2

I sent you a PM..
I am doing a gallstone flush at the moment..
This really works and is easy.
You soften the stones with malic acid and then flush them out with epsom salts and olive oil mixture..
I swear by this and removing your gallbladder over something so small is stupid.
You can search on line for endless amounts of people that have done this and its becoming more and more popular than removing organs that serve a role..
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:53   #69

Boat: Endeavour 36 Trawlercat

I'm disappointed that the OP has received so many unpleasant responses. Even people who don't directly insult her, feel comfortable giving their opinion as the only possible option (never mind that they are all different, they are all sure they are right).

S/v Destiny, are you a member of the FaceBook group Women Who Sail? If not, I highly recommend that you join, and ask your question there. You will find people who will genuinely try to help you, instead of grandstanding. You will need to have an account of your own, not a joint account, but it's free and simple to create one if you haven't already.
craftconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:23   #70

Boat: Liberty 458

A tricky choice.

I've a number of good new stories of people getting good quality medical care in central america.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:24   #71

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I haven't read all the posts so hope that I am not just repeating anything (but I suspect not). My wife still works for an international corporation (based in the US where we live). We just went through the annual insurance selection process, and like all healthcare here, it is really going up and up - higher deductibles, more restrictions, higher co-pays, etc. Nothing to do with Obamacare - at all. Same as it has always been.

However, there was a surprising new part in the plans. If you need an advanced procedure such as major surgery, the plan will pay 100% of all your expenses, no deductible, including travel and lodging to a foreign country (including your spouse), if you elect to have it done in another country rather than in the US. 100%! Travel & lodging for you and your spouse for however long you need to be there - prep through recovery until you can safely travel!! You get to pick the country, doctor, and hospital.

Shows how expensive healthcare has gotten in the US - a trend continuing far before Obamacare (which is the how do you pay it side rather than the what it costs side).
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:23   #72

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
The Healthcare System, Medicare, and Obamacare are three mutually exclusive topics.

Obamacare IS NOT related to Medicare. Obamacare is a insurance mandate. In fact, those involved with Medicare wouldn't be involved with Obamacare plans. Healthcare is private in the US. What you're discussing is whether it gets paid for by Private Health Insurance (Obamacare), Public Assisted Insurance (Medicaid and Medicare).

Please get your facts straight before spouting your politics as 'advise'.
What a great name, Shrew! I was referring to the IRS as the collection agency for the Obamacare fines for not signing up, not all health care bills. I take it the OP has been out of country for a while and did not sign up for Obamacare therefore is liable for a fine.
Just so you understand, I am an immigrant to the US and came from a country that has had socialized medicine for many years. Personally, I think it is wonderful. The problem I have with Obamacare is the basic design along with the government overreach to force payment by using the IRS to collect fines for noncompliance. When they looked at socialized medicine around the world it appears that they incorporated all the bad features and ignored the good ones.
The basic tenant is that a country as wealthy as the US should be able to provide basic health care to all through general tax revenue. I agree with that.
Unfortunately, we got something that doesn't work, the government lied to us and the costs are predictably disasterous causing the major underwriters to bail on the program.
Folks like S/V Destiny are caught up in a mess not of their making. Personally, if I had a choice, I would go to almost any other developed country for surgery than the US.
Stay healthy! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:44   #73

Boat: Bristol 29

Removing the gall bladder due to gall stones is unnecessary and barbaric. Do some googling on alternative treatments for gall stones. They are safe, simple, cheap, painless and often very effective. Try them out to see if you get relief. The gall stones formed because of dietary mistakes and can be resolved by correcting the diet. That is why the local doctor is saying wait a month - but waiting will accomplish little if you don't fix the diet.
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:41   #74
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Lithotripsy is also not a panacea. The fragments, or the treatment itself, can create internal perforations and infection requiring drugs that can easily trigger a c.diff. infection in elderly patients, and if that's anti-biotic resistant c.diff. you can go through a year or different medications and still have it kill you, basically from dehydration and malnutrition. Even and unless the hospital is practicing twice-daily cultures for c.diff. (as the better ones do now) and strict antisepsis (which many still don't) these can be related hazards in any surgical recovery stay. One reason why they try to get you in-and-out as quickly as possible. But if the surgeon doesn't these things during the consult and exam...that's a warning sign.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:29   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Folks like S/V Destiny are caught up in a mess not of their making. Personally, if I had a choice, I would go to almost any other developed country for surgery than the US.
Stay healthy! Phil
First off I wish the folks on Destiny the best of luck in a difficult situation.
However I have to disagree with Phil here.
To some degree the mess was of their making.
These folks would be covered by Medicare if they were in the states
and this would be a non issue.
But they left their home country without a plan for just the situation that arose.
Are they alone? chime in here sailors not from the US.
If your Canadian and get sick in Guatemala does your national
Health insurance cover you?
Should medical emergency repatriation insurance be considered a part
of a reasonable cruising budget?
When I crew abroad I always have it and sometimes I have to prove
it or I can't step on the boat.
Once again I hope it all works out for the folks on Destiny,

Barcelona
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising