Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2016, 19:22   #1

Our first sailboat

We sold our home in saskatchewan and moved west to Vancouver Island to start our adventure. Our first idea was to look and buy a liveaboard asap but with more chats around the campfire we decided our best plan was to start small and build up. Our plan is to learn how to sail and gain as much experience as we can whilst living and working on Vancouver Island with ambitions to finally cruise the Caribbean. We have been looking around numerous sailboats and some of them I wouldn't keep my former chickens in. Today we went to see a C&C 32 which was in excellent condition, we think this is the ideal boat for us to learn and have fun on along the way. The reviews seem pretty good and the boat felt right for what we needed to get us started. We are not intending to liveaboard but have weekends away and day trips to ease us into the lifestyle. We are living in a rv but myself wife and daughter are loving the change and freedom this as given us and are looking forward to the adventures that lay ahead. Any thoughts on our choice of boat are fully welcomed and appreciated good or bad.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Chriscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 19:31   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Our first sailboat

If it's in good shape a C&C would be a nice starter boat. 32 is a good size. Big enough to stay on but small enough to be easy to handle.

I'm not familiar with the 32 but generally C&Cs are good sailing boats as well.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 22:36   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Welcome aboard, chris,

Yes, I hope she passes her survey. I have no problem with the size. Jim & I sailed SF to HI and return in 1983 on a Yankee 30. Must confess i learned more about being seasick than I like to admit, but seasickness is like labor, when it's over, it's finished, and so, my main memories of that have to do with the beauties of the ocean, and the relief of seeing the Farallones light at the end of 2 weeks of dead reckoning, back in the days before Satnav. You've a lovely area to explore, and I hope you all love it.

Ann
Old 12-09-2016, 14:37   #4

Well the seller was taking us out Wednesday for a sea trial, we agreed a price, $1000 below asking. I just got a call to say he sold it to another couple who offered him full asking price. Bit of a dirty move but oh well there will be others.

Old 12-09-2016, 15:02   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscook View Post
Well the seller was taking us out Wednesday for a sea trial, we agreed a price, $1000 below asking. I just got a call to say he sold it to another couple who offered him full asking price. Bit of a dirty move but oh well there will be others.
Too bad. If you had an agreement, even if it was only a verbal deal, I would call that a bit unethical to unilaterally cancel it if something better comes along. In my book, a deal is a deal and you stick by it.

Maybe all for the best. Might have been bad karma to do a deal with someone who isn't totally honest.
Old 12-09-2016, 15:19   #6

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30

I can't understand the "start small and build up" philosophy. I stand by "buy the biggest you can afford.
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 15:32   #7

Boat: Laguna, windrose 25

you never can tell! just "rubbin elbows" with sailor folk might lead you to something you will fall in love with. don't let this deter you from what your after. I looked for 3 years before I got my act together.
Welcome to CF and good luck

joel
Joel E Felt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 16:12   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moctrams View Post
I can't understand the "start small and build up" philosophy. I stand by "buy the biggest you can afford.
For some people I agree. I learned to sail on a 36' but for some people I can see the logic of start small.

For me I learned on someone else's boat so the cost wasn't a factor but for a lot of people their finances may be limited at an earlier stage of life so it may come down to start small or not at all.

I see a LOT of people online that have never sailed and want to buy a boat and learn to sail. In that context it might make sense to invest in a smaller boat until you know you're going to like sailing. After all, some people don't take to it (yes I agree that is hard to imagine but I hear it does happen).

Then there are those that also have no boating experience that are very intimidated by a larger boat. Starting smaller allows them to build experience and confidence with less risk of not sailing due to fear of the boat.
Old 12-09-2016, 16:13   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel E Felt View Post
you never can tell! just "rubbin elbows" with sailor folk might lead you to something you will fall in love with. don't let this deter you from what your after. I looked for 3 years before I got my act together.
Welcome to CF and good luck

joel
Old 12-09-2016, 17:25   #10

Yes it was a dirty move but I told him what I thought of him and his character, I'm having fun searching and researching so the right boat will come along I'm sure.

Old 12-09-2016, 17:50   #11

Boat: islandpacket

It was your first boat, its never right. Your better off.The more you look the more you know.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 14-09-2016, 08:01   #12

All things happen for a reason. Could have been a lucky escape. In tidal waters your philosophy of starting small is the correct one. Easier to handle a smaller boat and less chance of doing serious damage if you hit something.

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Soton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 09:18   #13

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by moctrams View Post
That philosophy might work for some, might not work for others. FWIW, Am moving aboard my little 27 footer next year after outfitting. Could I have afforded a larger boat? Easily. So why did I buy such a "Small" boat? I've single-handed larger boats in my youth....but my youthful days are long gone. So, for me personally, 27-30 feet is about all that I can handle by myself at my age on the Chesapeake Bay. So it was a decision based on self awareness of my own abilities (and limitations) and safety concerns....for both myself and others out there.
Old 14-09-2016, 09:59   #14

We have no sailing experience but we are going to be taking lessons and doing the power squadron etc, we are planning on doing the 2 - 3 years in the Caribbean in a few years once we are fully confident, also with the boat market up here on the west coast of Canada we y decided when the time comes it will be beneficial to buy in Florida and start our cruise there, we would have a much larger pool of boats to choose from and we wouldn't have to deal with traveling down the west coast on our first long maiden voyage. Thanks for all your thoughts.

Tags
sail, sailboat