Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2011, 07:29   #1
bar

Boat: lightening 20 foot. looking at a seaward eagle 32 foot
Online Sailing Schools

has anyone heard of naudiced the online sailing school? I am taking the nav course now and find it very good and easy to ask questions.
bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 09:48   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bar
has anyone heard of naudiced the online sailing school? I am taking the nav course now and find it very good and easy to ask questions.
No I haven't but I'm interested. How much & do u get a certificate on completion?
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 09:58   #3

Re: on line sailing schools

Kinda sounds like an online sex education school. You'll get the concept but the experience isn't there.

Bill Burgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 10:00   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

You of course need to learn the information contained in the book but you also need to get out on the water. One cannot learn how to sail solely by reading about how to sail. The same applies to riding a bicycle, skiing, flying or any number of activities which require actually doing the activity. There are a number of motor skills that you must learn.

When I taught sailing the students read the course instruction book at home. When they came to school about 75% of the time was spent on the water. They then learned how to apply what they read.

I am concerned a learn-at-home course on how to sail would be near worthless and a waste of your money. I am certain it would not be recognized by any charter companies worth their salt.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 10:23   #5

Where is the online sex school? I want to sign up for that too!

I live-aboard & have cruised lots of miles/hrs in all weather to Mexico- in Sea of Cortez-with my husband (a great teacher) & back to CA but would also like some book type classes for fun & learn other things. I would take the Captain's license classes but we are always gone sailing so no time to take land based classes but online would be fun..

if I could fit it in between the sundowners & swimming.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 10:37   #6

Boat: Tartan 30

The Navigation course from NauticED is just as comprehensive as the ASA navigation course (105) which is a study-at-home course...

Like the others have said, and in my experience, you really can't escape the need for hands-on education. But that doesn't mean you can't learn from books or online.... There is a whole lot of sailing education that is strictly Theory and vocabulary. A lot of things you can learn for $40 online that you don't need to spend $500 to learn with ASA classes... Get the theory first, then go take lessons somewhere and get twice the education from them because you'll be able to focus on the sailing instead of the theory.

I like NauticEd and I'd absolutely recommend it (obviously). The prices are cheap enough that you can just try it out without very much risk.

I actually ended up taking ASA classes with a recommended NauticED affiliated ASA school. I couldn't have been happier with the results.

PS: I'm not getting paid to say this
Old 27-06-2011, 04:53   #7
bar

Boat: lightening 20 foot. looking at a seaward eagle 32 foot

yes this course requires you to go on the water and practice what you learned from the online studies with qualified people plus a certificate so you can do a bareboat if you want provided you pass.
bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 08:50   #8

I took a NuticEd course a few years back. It was pretty sad. It looked like something a high school student had put together. The course had 5-10 typos per page. It had clearly been written by someone with dubious English language skills and never been proofread.

They also seemed to have extremely questionable security on their payment page. They stored the credit card info on their server and displayed it in a way that seemed to have no security.

They may have gotten better, but based on my experience, I would prefer any other school.

RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 13:42   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
You of course need to learn the information contained in the book but you also need to get out on the water. One cannot learn how to sail solely by reading about how to sail. ...
David - I'm the owner of NauticEd and thanks everyone for this discussion. NauticEd is Nautical Education.

Everyone is absolutely right - you can't "learn the hands on sailing" by reading a book but you can learn about sailing and a lot of necessary information by reading a book.

If it is deemed that online education is worthless then EVERY book about sailing is also worthless. That's taking it to the extreme but I'm just making the point that NauticEd is delivering the necessary theory in a manner that is keeping up with education technology and the demands of students. Get the theory out of the way at home int he evenings then get on the boat on the weekends etc.

I invite everyone to take the free course on our site at:

A Free Sailing Course by NauticEd Sailing School

I think you'll find that that course is potentially MORE valuable than a book because of the interactive technology it exhibits.

The Charter companies worldwide do indeed accept The NauticEd certification - that's because we attached an online logbook to our certification. Students must enter their real hands on experience - this is combined with all the online courses and test grades to create a full picture into what the charter company needs.

We also added a sailing school component to our certification - Sailing schools can do a competency verification check out ont he student. They then digitally mark the certification which can also be seen by the charter companies.

Thanks for an awesome discussion point.

Grant Headifen
Educational Director for NauticEd
grantheadifen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 13:48   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I took a NuticEd course a few years back. It was pretty sad. It looked like something a high school student had put together. The course had 5-10 typos per page. It had clearly been written by someone with dubious English language skills and never been proofread.

They also seemed to have extremely questionable security on their payment page. They stored the credit card info on their server and displayed it in a way that seemed to have no security.

They may have gotten better, but based on my experience, I would prefer any other school.
This is Grant Headifen - Educational Director for NauticEd.
Thanks for that feedback - yes that was a few years back when we were just coming out of the gates. We've grown up now and of course fixed the security a few years back as well. We don't store cards anymore and use SSL certificates etc etc.

Again - thanks for the feedback and discussion

Grant
grantheadifen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing