Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2013, 12:00   #1

One boat I've loved and why...

I wrote recently on another thread that it seems too often as of late I am reading threads that disintegrate into negativity, polarizing opinions and even shaming. In an effort to give us all something positive to talk about I am starting this thread.

The mission: to share thoughts or a story or a dream about a particular boat you have loved and why. It can be a dingy you sailed as a child, a boat that helped you circle the globe or explore the neighbourhood, or even a boat you dream of and aspire to one day sail.

The absolute rule: nobody can dump on or question or malign anyone else's story or dream or thoughts. This is an exercise of sharing and non-judgement, the story can be harrowing and difficult and can be about admitting something stupid you did but it can't involve calling down other people/ countries/ etc...and if people comment on the stories other folks share, they can do so only in a supportive way. If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all. Just for this one thread. Thanks.
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 12:09   #2

Re: One boat I've loved and why...

I'll start.

The boat I'm currently in love with is a Cornish Crabber 26. I dream of sailing this boat through the canals of France and along the coastline of the beautiful countries of the Mediterranean. It is small, I think perfect for just my husband and I, and beautiful in its old world charm but with a modern hull shape. I love the way it is laid out and would fill it with only beautiful, functional things - handmade pottery, a few warm quilts and a propane fireplace, a few musical instruments, polished lanterns, and lots of good books. I imagine the Pardey's would be proud of such a dream! But as for circumnavigating, well, then I have a catamaran dream...
Old 18-02-2013, 12:41   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I had an Old Town Whitecap 12.6ft lap strake sailboat once..I paid 100.00-150.00 for her and she was all original, from the sails to the rigging,she was so pretty...I wanted to fix her up but I ended up selling her to a guy that has the "largest hand made canoe collection in the world"?? He had one as a kid and wanted this one ..I sold it for 2500.00 and one of his personal collection art pieces! I never did get to sail her..Come to think of it I have owned 2 sailboats that I never got to sail ,the other was a 40 ft Alismer(sp?) Queen Ann yawl...that was my "romantic "period,I now own a FG boat...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 12:46   #4

Boat: Cal 2-27

freedom 40 (cat ketch)

Wow, just love the boat. Looks beautiful and I could only imagine self tacking sails. Would be a dream to sail. I don't know how they point, but I really think they are beautiful in their simplicity.

Current boat: cal 2-27. I was actually looking specifically for this boat. Decided between 3 different cal's and this was the smallest. Just for some reason, love almost everything about them.

I honestly think to have a dream boat (for me) it has to be built from the ground up and would have little resale value. To many things about to many boats I would do differently and that is the reason why there is no such thing as the perfect boat.

They are all great in their own way!!!!
Old 19-02-2013, 09:29   #5

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

While tent camping on Vancouver Island one summer, we decided to go out for a day with a salmon fishing guide. It was dynamite - beautiful, exciting, and great fishing too, all in a 16-foot boat.

Months later, we wandered into a boat show, thinking we could probably afford such a boat. We looked at quite a few, but none really knocked us out. Then we set eyes on a little cabin boat that really stood out from the crowd. It was a C-Dory 22 cruiser, not too much bigger than the fishing boats we were considering, but with a huge difference - it was designed for “camping on the water”. We spent several hours checking out every aspect of the C-Dory. After two more days at the boat show and lots of discussion, we were sold.

That little boat turned out to be one of the best decisions we ever made - a perfect choice for beginning cruisers. She was seaworthy as can be, built with quality, and very cleverly laid out to make the most of her 22 feet. Her cabin sheltered us from the weather, and had windows with all-round visibility. She had good cooking, eating, and sleeping facilities. With this boat, we were able to spend peaceful weeks sightseeing on Lake Powell in southern Utah, then weeks and months exploring the Inside Passage of the Pacific Northwest.

I had fished from skiffs with small outboard motors or oars, and done a little charter sailing in the Bahamas. Cindy and I had done some canoe paddling, but we knew nothing about owning and operating a power cruiser. Luckily for us, the C-Dory was an uncomplicated but very sound and seaworthy boat. It was a great learning environment - we concentrated on boating skills, not on stuff that didn’t work, or systems we just didn’t understand.

After a few summers of short cruises on Lake Powell and other big lakes, and maybe six weeks on the southern B.C. coast, we had built up our skills to a pretty solid level, while both of us still held demanding jobs. Then came an opportunity to expand our envelope in a big way: both our employers were flexible enough to let us take extended leave. We thought about it for a while, and decided to really go for it - a whole summer’s cruise in Southeast Alaska. It was incredibly wonderful, the experience of a lifetime. Since that first Alaska trip we’ve done many more long cruises, continually improving our skills, and loving (almost) every minute of it.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 09:46   #6

Freedom 33 cat ketch: Beamy, simple little gunkholer with a light interior.
Ericson Independence 31: Sweet cheeks!
Picnic boats like the San Juan 38.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 14:04   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoon View Post
While tent camping on Vancouver Island one summer, we decided to go out for a day with a salmon fishing guide. It was dynamite - beautiful, exciting, and great fishing too, all in a 16-foot boat.

Months later, we wandered into a boat show, thinking we could probably afford such a boat. We looked at quite a few, but none really knocked us out. Then we set eyes on a little cabin boat that really stood out from the crowd. It was a C-Dory 22 cruiser, not too much bigger than the fishing boats we were considering, but with a huge difference - it was designed for “camping on the water”. We spent several hours checking out every aspect of the C-Dory. After two more days at the boat show and lots of discussion, we were sold.

That little boat turned out to be one of the best decisions we ever made - a perfect choice for beginning cruisers. She was seaworthy as can be, built with quality, and very cleverly laid out to make the most of her 22 feet. Her cabin sheltered us from the weather, and had windows with all-round visibility. She had good cooking, eating, and sleeping facilities. With this boat, we were able to spend peaceful weeks sightseeing on Lake Powell in southern Utah, then weeks and months exploring the Inside Passage of the Pacific Northwest.

I had fished from skiffs with small outboard motors or oars, and done a little charter sailing in the Bahamas. Cindy and I had done some canoe paddling, but we knew nothing about owning and operating a power cruiser. Luckily for us, the C-Dory was an uncomplicated but very sound and seaworthy boat. It was a great learning environment - we concentrated on boating skills, not on stuff that didn’t work, or systems we just didn’t understand.

After a few summers of short cruises on Lake Powell and other big lakes, and maybe six weeks on the southern B.C. coast, we had built up our skills to a pretty solid level, while both of us still held demanding jobs. Then came an opportunity to expand our envelope in a big way: both our employers were flexible enough to let us take extended leave. We thought about it for a while, and decided to really go for it - a whole summer’s cruise in Southeast Alaska. It was incredibly wonderful, the experience of a lifetime. Since that first Alaska trip we’ve done many more long cruises, continually improving our skills, and loving (almost) every minute of it.
Dont know the boat but its a cool story..
Old 19-02-2013, 14:29   #8

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

A Hobie Cat. I have continuously owned one since 1972! The 16' is my favorite, however I currently sail a 21' here in the Bahamas. Great boat to throw several couples on and head for a deserted cay to pic nic. We also troll off it, the ultimate stealth fishing boat.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 18:05   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

I am just a boat slut, i loved them all and had my way with all of them. I lusted after them, chased them, got them, used them as they were for a while then set about changing them to suit my needs better. When I had got them as perfect as they could possibly be within their limitations,and mine, I started looking around for something new.

It's a never ending quest, or so it seems, but the one boat that I have coveted for over three decades is one that I have never even seen in the flesh never mind sailed on. Dana 24. There, admitted my secret love. I know that they are really too small, but I have had both small and large sailing boats and I do have a leaning to the smaller end. These appear to be just about perfect for me, but, if I managed to get one, and living as I do in Australia the chances are slim, would I be faithful to her or would my wandering helm hands be all over something more lithe and less aged before too long?

I have to admit it, I am just a trollop, and will forever be thinking that the next one is the one that I will love. Until I have it.

Coops.
Old 19-02-2013, 18:22   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
I am just a boat slut...
Hey me too! Big, small, one hull, two hulls, three hulls, sloop, cutter, ketch...I just don't care. Out of hundreds I've only ever met one boat I just did not like, but will not post that here since it's off topic.

Really loved my old Hunter 37 Cutter, as do most owners, great boat (regardless of the brand name), lots of great adventures. Loved the ELISSA too, as do all who sail her. And my Hobie 33 sure is a lot of fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vela Narcosis Corpus Christi Jetties.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	55253   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	357.0 KB
ID:	55254  

belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 18:43   #11
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
I'll start.

The boat I'm currently in love with is a Cornish Crabber 26. I dream of sailing this boat through the canals of France and along the coastline of the beautiful countries of the Mediterranean. It is small, I think perfect for just my husband and I, and beautiful in its old world charm but with a modern hull shape. I love the way it is laid out and would fill it with only beautiful, functional things - handmade pottery, a few warm quilts and a propane fireplace, a few musical instruments, polished lanterns, and lots of good books. I imagine the Pardey's would be proud of such a dream! But as for circumnavigating, well, then I have a catamaran dream...

LOL, the Crabber has got her hooks in you! Or maybe yer in her crab pot or something. It is quite a boat. Not your average everyday cruiser.

I'm in love with my new tender. It's awesome. It has roller furling, two rowing stations, and it sleeps two! Countless smart features on this thing. And it's pretty.

NorseBoat 12.5

Gallery 12.5
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 18:51   #12
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Freedom 33 cat ketch: Beamy, simple little gunkholer with a light interior.
Ericson Independence 31: Sweet cheeks!
Picnic boats like the San Juan 38.

We've made a bunch of custom hard top enclosures for the San Juan 38. The earlier ones had an open backed "pilothouse", which most owners immediately hated because in the conditions here most of the year you will freeze at the helm with this setup. We did a bunch of them, the factory made it a standard option, and then they bought our tooling and started doing it themselves. It's a factory option now. Nice boats. Blatant ripoff of the Hinkley Picnic Boat though.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hinc...w=1024&bih=672
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 19:01   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Hey me too! Big, small, one hull, two hulls, three hulls, sloop, cutter, ketch...I just don't care. Out of hundreds I've only ever met one boat I just did not like, but will not post that here since it's off topic.

Really loved my old Hunter 37 Cutter, as do most owners, great boat (regardless of the brand name), lots of great adventures. Loved the ELISSA too, as do all who sail her. And my Hobie 33 sure is a lot of fun!
Hunter made so many boats you cant dislike all of them,that is a nice one..
Old 19-02-2013, 19:25   #14

Boat: Finnsailer 38

A little Angus Primrose, flush-decked, cold-molded, 30-foot cutter called Katydid that was the first boat my wife and I went south on in 1985. We bought the boat from the man who had it designed and built for him at the Elephant Boatyard in England. Very quirky, very rugged, and she could go anywhere in any weather at any time, and couldn't care less what was thrown at her. On our very first sail we were way down LI Sound and had to get back to work in a couple of days so we went out despite the fact it was blowing a good 30-40 from the NW, and made 85 nautical miles in the first 10 hours, which is moving pretty good for 30 feet. The next day we rounded Point Judith and the wind was screaming out of Narragansett Bay. We tacked up into the bay under triple reefed main and storm staysail, with nobody out on the water on a Sunday, not even the fishing boats. That was sort of typical of our trips on her. We made several runs offshore from the Carolinas, deliberately going ahead of northers to make time, but she would just surf off like a big ski boat with a rooster tail behind and two fingers on the tiller like it had power steering. More than once if the weather was heavy we out sailed much larger boats, including one time when we beat a Swan 40 into the teeth of a stiff breeze up the Neuse River. And then we went all over the Bahamas in her, before GPS, using lousy paper charts, a sextant, an RDF once in awhile, and sometimes a LORAN line or two when we were close enough to Florida. Great little boat, and super simple. Had an ice chest for a fridge. A kerosene stove. And I think we had one or two GP27 batteries. A little Sabb diesel with the adjustable pitch prop. Handheld VHF. Lost the engine a few times because of various failures, but we could sail that boat anywhere. Tacked up into the middle of Annapolis during the boat show at night and anchored under sail. Sailed around a bunch in the Exumas with no diesel for a bit because the fuel barge couldn't deliver for a few weeks. Lots of adventures.
Old 19-02-2013, 19:40   #15

Ha minaret! I was totally thinking of your new "family car" for this thread! Wow, she's a looker.

So many great stories already and boats I want to know more about because they have been well-loved. I'm a huge fan of the Dana too Coops (and small boats generally) - I've had a look about a Dana and they are pretty special.