Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2013, 11:42   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: One boat I've loved and why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
I like to play an acoustic version of it, as it can be found on "Anthology 3". Capo on the 5th fret, it is great to play it fingerstyle. Lovely song.

Jake's version is very nice - thanks for sharing, I wasn't aware of him.

Onno
Jakes a big man in Hawaii...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 16:28   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I did covet another mans boat once,it was so pretty,dark blue hull w/real shiny teck deck,it was a 50 +ft Swan I belive,way out of class but it cant hurt to look..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 17:09   #33

Boat: hunter 376

Don't like the Beatles? Grrrrrr...I thought this was going to be an agreeable "in my happy place" thread.
Anyhooo...
Always loved gaffers, especially with tanbark sails. Love to own one, but wifey likes the latest and greatest boats with toys and AC.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 17:50   #34

Boat: OEM, proportional

This post is Kettlewell's fault. He went thataway ----------------->

After his eulogising a boat called Katydid, I went for a google to see this lovely vessel....didn't find her, but came across a similarly named boat being restored, and a whole lot of other scrumptious wooden boaty bits at this blog:

boatbuilding | Charlie Hussey - Marine Carpenter

A bit heavy on pics so slow to load, but well worth the wait.

Dreamboat for me....still building her in my mind. Lots of stuff gets built there. Sometimes these things break into the material world. Pity the thread limits us to one....a boatphilanderer like me can never have enough boats. I'll invent another word....the "flarem" (pronounced flah-reem). A hybrid of "fleet" and "harem".
Old 01-03-2013, 14:58   #35

The boat I love the most is the one I have now. Isn't it supposed to work that way? If I wasn't still in love with her, I wouldn't still have her in my life. By the way, she's a Kelly-Peterson 46 foot center cockpit offshore sailboat. My wife (also the one I love the most) and I will be leaving the west coast of Canada for Mexico, Central America and who knows where else, this coming August.
JimAndTricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 15:08   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: One boat I've loved and why...

I'm to embarrased...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 15:31   #37

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragerdrive View Post
Not being an experienced boat person I don't have a long list but I have now owned my 1968 Swan 36 for a couple of years. I have about 4000 miles under my belt in her.

I have had to do quite a bit of work on her to bring her up to the standards I want but also have sailed here quite a bit. She is teaching me about many things I need to know about sailboat maintenance and repair. She sails great and is easy to handle even single handed. I feel like I'm always safe in such a solidly built boat and a great Sparkman & Stevens design.

She is also relatively inexpensive to buy and maintain compared to newer boats.

I get a lot of people that recognize she is a Swan or at least a Sparkman & Stevens and meet lots of people just by being on her.

So since my experience is limited I've only sailed on 6 30+ size boats. I sure do love this one and she has provided me with a lot of great new experiences and keeps my dreams alive for many more in the future.
You have great taste in planes and boats. If you're married to Carole Bouquet, well then, we all bow down in admiration.
At any rate, here's the plane I bought plans for, but never got around to build (or had the time and money, etc...): index.html
Another taildragger that looks a lot like yours.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 16:06   #38

A while back when I first started looking at boats I had my eyes all over the Bene's and such. But very recently I think I have found the boat that really makes me want to get one. Don't know what you guys think of them but the Choy Lee Off Shore 41 is gorgeous.
travisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 16:52   #39

We've owned 4 boats. 2 mono hulls and 2 cats. The one I was the most satisfied with was the J-40. Kept us safe sailing in 40knts down the coast from Seattle to S.F. and then took us down and back from Mexico. Great boat! Sailed like a dream despite whatever I did.
stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:30   #40

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

TravisD,
Yes the Offshore 41 is gorgeous. I was able to crew on one for a bit here in Hawaii. It was the yawl version and sailed very well.
I had a beautiful all wood Mariner 35 I cruised and lived aboard for a time and she is by far my favorite of all I've been aboard. Varnished mahogany and teak everywhere and there is no sound like that of a wood boat sailing with it's wood mast creaking and the hull whispering through the water. You can a see a photo if you click on my profile.
Sometimes its the boat and sometimes its who was aboard as guest or crew and what your activities were or where you went. When the years go by even the storms you suffered and the damage you repaired seems like a wonderful experience.
Thanks for this thread.
Old 05-03-2013, 20:49   #41

Boat: Cal 2-27

Sunfish...it was the first boat I ever singlehanded. Learned more on that boat than any other. Spent some great times with my dad, sailing, learning and bonding. He still has that boat. Great boat. Would have to say that was the one that gave me my love for sailing.

Op, thanks, great thread.
Old 05-03-2013, 22:15   #42

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL

[QUOTE=Bash;1163624]Understood. I was never a big Beatles fan myself, but how could someone not be moved by "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" ??

Of course, my favorite version is by Jake Shimabukuro:

THANKS Bash that was great !!! Love the uke Jacko]
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:56   #43

My first real sailboat was a Cape Dory 25D. I bought it the second I graduated from law school, back in 1984, even before I was sure I had a job, because I had motivated myself all the way through by promising myself I would buy a sailboat as a reward. It was used, and I bought it for $28,000, with the owner financing it for me, with no money down (he had already bought a bigger sailboat and needed to unload it quick).

I had never sailed anything but Hobies, Sunfish, and other small daysailors before. For three years, I took that Cape Dory out every weekend and I explored every nook and cranny with three feet of water in it (and some with less ) in the Mississippi Sound, and the western Florida panhandle.

It was such an easy boat to sail that I would usually sail it in and out of its slip (although it had a one cylinder Yanmar that was absolutely reliable with a diesel tank that had to filled up once a year) . It was forgiving and with a double reefed main and the roller furler jib reefed a little bit, would sail in 30 knots of wind without even being exciting. I put an Autohelm on the tiller, and it made it a joy to take out single handed. I spent a lot of days listening to Jimmy Buffett and just watching it sail from the cabin top.

I had dreams of pitching it all and taking it around the world. I wish I had.

I sold it when I was transferred to Dallas, Texas and to this day, it is the one boat I wish I still had. I have a 42' sloop now, but it is never as much fun as that Cape Dory was to take out.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:08   #44
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: One boat I've loved and why...

What LOA defines a real sailboat... and what can it do that a 25CD cannot... or a H22.. or a Corribee 21 apart from go faster and carry more people..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:16   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
What LOA defines a real sailboat... and what can it do that a 25CD cannot... or a H22.. or a Corribee 21 apart from go faster and carry more people..
I meant with a galley, a head, that kind of thing. One that could take me places.

I've owned daysailers since and still love them. A Flying Scott with a spinaker up is tons of fun. No hate here.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote