Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2015, 03:56   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: On getting liked and getting along..,

Of our first 200 members (all joined within a few months of CF’s birth in 2003), at least 10 are still active members. Most of the earliest joiners never posted a single contribution.

Sonosailor: Join Date 15-03-2003 - Last Activity 29-11-2015
AnchorageGuy: Joined 16-03-2003 - Last Activity 11-12-2015
GordMay: Joined 16-03-2003
skipgundlach: Joined 17-03-2003 - Last Activity 14-12-2015
Pblais: Joined 21-03-2003 - Last Activity 12-10-2015
delmarrey: Joined 27-03-2003 - Last Activity 01-12-2015
John Drake: Joined 24-04-2003 - Last Activity 13-12-2015
29cascadefixer: Joined 24-04-2003- Last Activity 04-12-2015
camaraderie: Joined 02-05-2003 - Last Activity 16-09-2015
sneuman: Joined 04-05-2003 - Last Activity 05-12-2015

Apologies to anyone I missed.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 06:49   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Now that your here Gordon, I have to ask you a question. Why do you thank everyone for joining? And what do you really look like? . Inquiring minds ya know...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 07:12   #63

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Light being so much faster than sound explains why some of us seem so bright before you hear us speak.

hey, I been here since '06, too. Year after we moved out of the USA.
Excellent Quote, I may have to use it on occasion!!
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 05:29   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Now that your here Gordon, I have to ask you a question. Why do you thank everyone for joining? And what do you really look like? . Inquiring minds ya know...
I greet new members out of a cordial sense of hospitality, and courtesy. It just seems the "right" and friendly thing to do.

I look a lot like this ➥ Bringing "slingshot" Home - Gord cons "Slingshot" Duluth Mn to Thunder Bay Bay On May 16 - 18, 2008 Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery

Old 17-12-2015, 07:45   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I greet new members out of a cordial sense of hospitality, and courtesy. It just seems the "right" and friendly thing to do.

I look a lot like this ➥ Bringing "slingshot" Home - Gord cons "Slingshot" Duluth Mn to Thunder Bay Bay On May 16 - 18, 2008 Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery
Great cartoon avatar- captures you well.

I see you were using the headlamp as a compass light. Being there, done that.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 07:46   #66

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:

All I can say, is good-on-ya for the greetings. Your avatar resembles you very much
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 08:38   #67

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:

Given that you frequently intervene on threads, supplying actual information that nullifies fact free opinion, I pictured you more as the yogi in flowing robes on the mountain top. Now I see that you put your foulies on one leg at a time like the rest of us.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 08:46   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
... Now I see that you put your foulies on one leg at a time like the rest of us.
Actually, I don't. I sit down and insert both legs, simultaneously.
I do, however, don a jacket one arm at a time.

Old 22-12-2015, 01:59   #69

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Gord,

I thought I was the only one in the world that puts her pants on that way! How odd! Anyhow, best wishes for the holidays, and the New Year, which seems to be approaching very fast now the soltice's past.

Ann
Old 22-12-2015, 04:18   #70

I joined in something like 06 for the sole reason of learning stuff and sharing a bit of my own experience. I believe that we can learn and actually DO learn from others... as opposed to ONLY the school of hard knocks.

I have never been interested in the joke stuff... nor in engaging in "debate" and gotcha. It's a internet forum so one needs to take what you find here with a grain of salt at times. Trust but verify!

When I began sailing there was no internet and so information came from books... and experience. Now it comes from experience and sites like this and blogs and so on. I'd love to actually meet a number of the posters/members here... but being so disbursed it ironically hasn't happened. For example, I would have loved to meet Bill Treyfors.. he seemed to have a wealth of info about electrics. I am also a mono hull guy with no cat in my future but I find some of the cat threads interesting. The collective knowledge in residing in the members is awesome.

I try to avoid the politics of the site... the bickering and the one upsmanship banter.

CF is a great resource.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 04:30   #71
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Can't wait for sailorboy1 to read this. Unless I'm really out to lunch. Which of course is a regular occurrence for me. Sigh.

goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Bet he will be fummin at me again lol
You guys give yourselves way too much credit.

BTW - There is a reason some of the "old timer" active members stop posting that hasn't been mentioned.
Old 22-12-2015, 04:42   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
... BTW - There is a reason some of the "old timer" active members stop posting that hasn't been mentioned.
What would that be?

Old 22-12-2015, 05:07   #73

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Maybe one of you old timers could take a break for a minute and allow a newbie to borrow a little of your expansive knowledge and vast intellect and direct me to some links regarding real solar and wind turbine reviews.
Thank yew fer yer support.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 05:13   #74
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

I would liken forum participation to cruising. We left the USA to cruise the Western Caribbean for six years in 2004. Most of the boats we cruised with are no longer cruising - most sold their boats and are chasing different dreams. Or they're like us and have found somewhere they enjoy and aren't actively cruising, just hanging out on the boat. Life moves on. In general, cruisers are relatively thick skinned, I don't think having a impolite yahoo disagree with you on an internet forum has a huge impact. Just my .02 worth.... Feel free to disagree and/or call me names.

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 05:25   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv Winterlude View Post
I would liken forum participation to cruising. We left the USA to cruise the Western Caribbean for six years in 2004. Most of the boats we cruised with are no longer cruising - most sold their boats and are chasing different dreams. Or they're like us and have found somewhere they enjoy and aren't actively cruising, just hanging out on the boat. Life moves on. In general, cruisers are relatively thick skinned, I don't think having a impolite yahoo disagree with you on an internet forum has a huge impact. Just my .02 worth.... Feel free to disagree and/or call me names.
This is a very narrow view of what sailing and cruising is. Clearly for some it means to cut land ties and venture off living aboard in foreign lands. This seems to be a dream embedded in some well found boats.

However many "boaters" for multiple reasons are not even live aboards or have done a period of being a live aboard or a off shore voyager and no longer do this. Who cares? Boats / yachts are different things to different people and are used to satisfy needs. Needs change, financial position changes, health changes... family changes... And with those changes sailors evolve and some may even stop sailing. Who cares?

The forum is a web place to exchange information. It's not the only one and for some things it may not be the best one. But it's a damn good one if you understand it has limitations.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote