Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-12-2016, 16:33   #1

Old school roller boom

Hi,
I apologize in advance for not knowing names of some of the bits. I have a 77 Prout Snowgoose that came with a roller boom or reefer boom...not sure the proper name. Fixed some bad work on it, got some sunbrella on the sail and rolled it up like I thought it should.

So now I want to hoist the main. Apparently I hoist and unroll at the same time? Should it just unroll and hoist? The little plastic sail bits between the mast inserts and the sail now seem too short. Maybe you have to keep he main up high enough to keep the slides all in the groove?

Anybody worked with one of these. I was so pleased to get it functioning....now not sure how exactly to operate it.

Since Prouts have a flat mini main it should work well...or maybe not.

Thanks,

Catatonic

Old 17-12-2016, 16:42   #2
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Old school roller boom

Owned a couple of boats with these back in the day.. as you furl the slides will pop out.. they have to or it won't roll past the first.. to hoist one goes to the mast you haul and slot as you go.. the boom should roll freely.
Crap reefing system tho'..

"Your not drunk if you can lay on the floor without holding on..."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 16:43   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Re: Old school roller boom

Unless you're reefing just operate the main as any other. I.e. Don't roll it. And really the old roller booms are more a pain than they're worth.
Old 17-12-2016, 16:49   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

This isnít exactly what youíre asking for, but my previous boat came with a rolling boom furler system. I tried to make it work, but came to the conclusion that it was simply a bad idea. Itís awkward, slow, and hard to reef in a hurry. The sail slugs were always hard to manage, as is the bolt-rope luff at the gooseneck end.

I converted to slab reefing as soon as I could. Iím sure youíll hear from others with the same experience.
Old 17-12-2016, 17:41   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

I converted to slab reefing as soon as I could. Iím sure youíll hear from others with the same experience.

I agree. Had two previous boats with roller booms and converted them to slab reefing.
Old 17-12-2016, 19:13   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well, I'll join the chorus. My boat currently has a roller boom (old school boat), but I have slab reefing on it... someday I'll get a new boom (Hear me Santa???) To answer your question I'd second that what Sailmonkey said, don't roll it unless you are going to be reefing. You do have a handle that cranks on the rolling mechanism at the end of the boom at the gooseneck, right? As you roll (reef) the slugs come out of the slot in the mast (or you may have cars on a track), and then when you unroll you'll have to feed the slugs back in as you pull on the halyard raising the main. But as everyone has mentioned, there are some flies in the ointment. I'd like to see a photo of your mast and main. One of the big problems with this roller furling idea is that there is no outhaul, no pull aft on the clew once you are rolling so the shape of the main comes out less than ideal. Also a main cut for this has no roach since it will not have battens typically (though I have heard of battens in rolled up mains, never seen 'em though.) A main cut this way, battenless, also sometimes referred to as a "cruising main," does not perform well going to weather. My buddy who is a rigger goes so far as to state emphatically "the boat will not point AT ALL!" While I do have one of those old mains, and I have to say it could point sort of ok, my new full-battened sail is much better.
I too would say to have a sailmaker put in a couple of reef points and add the hardware and lines for slab reefing. It's worth it. and ask Santa for a new boom!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 10:03   #7

The rotating boom - back in King Arfur's time - was simply meant to give you a tight and tidy harbour furl. It was never meant to be a REEFING system.

Dismiss the idea that it could ever be a reefing system, and set up with a standard jiffy reef. To keep the bunt tidy when reefed use your nettles. If you don't have nettles cos someone had the wrong idea about the rolling boom, fit nettles every foot or so. Easy enuff to do.

TrentePieds
Old 18-12-2016, 10:04   #8

Thanks for the feedback all. Comments are not surprising after my first attempt at raising the main after the roll up. It seemed like such a nice idea.
I do have a crank that inserts in the gooseneck. Will get a picture posted in a few days..out of country right now. Talked to a sail maker who was adamantly opposed to all roller mains except on the Prout as the sail is cut flat and can't fold on itself. Also Prout mains are relatively small since the mast is stepped rear of cabin.

So slab is the way to go but inbetween uses it sure cleans things up.
Old 18-12-2016, 10:56   #9

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Just so things are clear: boatman61 provided the correct response, supplemented by the advice from sailmonkey (I can second both based on long ago experience), and everything else since has been opinion (almost all spot on, but opinion nonetheless).
Old 18-12-2016, 11:16   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Well, I have an "opinion". I've had my current boat with the rolling boom for 32 years. I don't like it and I don't use it.
Old 18-12-2016, 14:32   #11

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 33

From an Opiniated Aussie.
What Hudson said and the others with previous experience of a roller boom.
Old 18-12-2016, 15:41   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
The rotating boom - back in King Arfur's time - was simply meant to give you a tight and tidy harbour furl. It was never meant to be a REEFING system.

Dismiss the idea that it could ever be a reefing system, and set up with a standard jiffy reef. To keep the bunt tidy when reefed use your nettles. If you don't have nettles cos someone had the wrong idea about the rolling boom, fit nettles every foot or so. Easy enuff to do.

TrentePieds

Hmm... been a while since I read all the Hiscock books, but I think I remember Eric talking about putting towels or such in the leech area of his main as he ROLLED in reefs (to keep the leech tight). As I recall, he didn't like the system, but did use it... I think on Wanderer III.

Jim
Old 18-12-2016, 16:52   #13

Boat: Seacraft Caravel

I have a roller/reefing boom on my small (25') motor sailor which works quite well. I have a sail feeder at the bottom of the sail track which feeds the boltrope into the the track. An endless line to roll the sail back down when reefing/furling.
Most importantly, you must have a topping lift and it is essential to keep the boom at the correct height using the toppling lift before you furl or unfurl. If you have it wrong, it will not work! Takes a little experimentation to work out what that height is but when you have it all is sweet.
Old 18-12-2016, 18:17   #14

Quote" "Hmm... been a while since I read all the Hiscock books, but I think I remember Eric talking about putting towels or such in the leech area of his main as he ROLLED in reefs (to keep the leech tight). As I recall, he didn't like the system, but did use it... I think on Wanderer III."

:-) Yeah - I'm not worthy of tying Hiscock's shoe laces, but we have this in common: I don't LIKE what I have (mast furling main of a gloriously humongous 198 SqFt) but I do use it.

In my case the cons of making changes outweigh the pros of doing so, for in this as in so much else, for 20% of the outlay in effort, time and money, you get 80% of the intended effect, so scuppering the Facnor and going for new canvas'n'all doesn't seen to be worth the effort and expense. After all, she's only a motor sailer :-)

TrentePieds
Old 18-12-2016, 22:29   #15

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

rbrentp
roller reefing boom system is built to work with rope bolts sails with a rope bolt track on the mast / not compatible with flat slides / we modified our boom furling system by using a pin through the mast with a vang on one side and a ronstan furler on the front / works well all cockpit controlled / if you have round sail slugs your main may have a rope bolt that fits your mast track then it would be easy to remove the sail slugs and pull the main up in the track without them / external boom furling was designed when people had the time to do things / the right main for rotary furling looks like a strong flat head sail / a lot of people don't like them / we have used this system for over 20years / persevere with what you have you may work out how to use the system / it is not mandatory to be exactly like everyone else

Tags
school

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: