Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 09:40   #16

Re: Ok so am i completely Crazy or No

I am completely able to do alot of work on my own with a few pointers im sure i'll get help with from my CF community. I've gone the craigslist route i've searched and searched and searched. I done mose everything short of call the marina's one by one.. But i was told im gonna have to look alot be4 i find the one... But will make do with a for one right now...lol
Old 02-09-2011, 10:32   #17

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

If you watch Ebay there are quite a few decent (cheap) boats there too. There is an outfit called Boatangel ministries that auctions off all sorts of boats. Many charities that accept boats sell them for whatever they can get. Derelict boats are often auctioned off by marinas. Figure out where those are posted for your area. I am about to donate an older project boat I have just for my own sanity. (not big enough for your needs though)

These are all options. You can occasionally find a free to good home type of thing on Craigslist or the like. I think charities are a good place to look and auctions of course.

Fair winds,
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:40   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

lotsa boats for sale here in mazatlan, as well as in cabo san lucas and guaymas/san carlos and other places along this coast.....some are efven inexpensive.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:45   #19

Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II

In the 80's I just did what you are planning on doing. I was in my 30's then and I enjoyed time with my wife on bare islands and sandy beaches in the warm weather. We lived on very little since we had no revenue and it was a challenge to survive on the moneys we had since there was always some unplanned expenses for the boat! We travelled for two years before returning on land and these are the best two years of my life. Since then I have only dreamed of doing it again and now, 30 years later, we are close to taking off again on a sailboat. It is probably more difficult now than it was then, since there are too many retired people with money populating areas that were free before and paying hotel prices for a mooring. But if you are determined to travel on a boat, you will find the good spots for you and those to avaoid. Enjoy!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:51   #20

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Ok So Am I Completely Crazy . . .

There are deals to be had in Texas. Marinas will auction abandon sailboats for the price of the slip owed, you can spot those boats because they are chained up. See a chained up boat, leave a note on the boat with your number, and go to the marina office and ask if they will forward you phone number the the boat owner. I bought a pacific seacraft 25 for 5 thousand,and a 25 ft US yacht for 375.00, using that method. Both vessels needed a good cleaning but was basically in good shape. Winter has the best deals.

Walk the dock, read, learn as much as you can about boats, crew as much as you can.

Happy sailing
Mrs. Rain Dog

Ps

In certain marinas security does not allow walking the dock so I found that kayaking the fairways of boats is a good way around that.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:52   #21

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Oh, and you are not crazy, you are amongst your own kind
Old 02-09-2011, 12:04   #22

Boat: Currently Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
There are deals to be had in Texas. Marinas will auction abandon sailboats for the price of the slip owed, you can spot those boats because they are chained up. See a chained up boat, leave a note on the boat with your number, and go to the marina office and ask if they will forward you phone number the the boat owner. I bought a pacific seacraft 25 for 5 thousand,and a 25 ft US yacht for 375.00, using that method. Both vessels needed a good cleaning but was basically in good shape. Winter has the best deals.

Walk the dock, read, learn as much as you can about boats, crew as much as you can.

Happy sailing
Mrs. Rain Dog

Ps

In certain marinas security does not allow walking the dock so I found that kayaking the fairways of boats is a good way around that.

They do the same up here in the lakes around Dallas. I am currently looking at a few, just to get out on the water till I get down to the Gulf.
Old 02-09-2011, 22:14   #23

Re: Okay, So Am I Completely Crazy . . .

thx for all the info will be checking into a couple of the marinas around and also thx to the wonderful people here (sucking up) i have some great leads on boats for sale. The main thing im also looking at aswell is im prob gonna be doing this solo. Dont get me wrong if i find a female that i can deal with and can deal with me who know's but till then single handing is my way to go for now.... Unless there's a wonderful,talented,boat owning,ready to cruise,great personality ,easy going , good with sailing and likes the occasional beer and doesnt smoke female already needing company......lol
Old 03-09-2011, 04:22   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Excellent

If over the next 8 months before the off you have to work double shifts serving Big Macs or pumping petrol then do so. It will give you a slush fund to get you going and whilst the jobs might be awful they are only temporary as you have set yourself a target date to go. Chose the departure carefully, to avoid the hurricane season and just go.

Peru sounds good and how about Chile for an adventure?

When you find an interesting boat feel free to ask the forums advice, someone will have owned one before and they invariably give the truth not what the seller or broker wants you to hear. Final thought, keep to the KISS approach (keep it simple) eg, watermaker? hell no, use 20 litre plastic jerry cans etc.

BTW, 75% of the forum are probably wishing they were in your shoes instead of paying mortgages and household bills. The other 25% like Zeehag? well they are out there doing it. Now if you will excuse me I need to go and pay my car tax

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:23   #25

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo76131 View Post
. . . I'm prob gonna be doing this solo. Dont get me wrong if i find a female that i can deal with and can deal with me who know's but till then single handing is my way to go for now.... Unless there's a wonderful,talented,boat owning,ready to cruise,great personality ,easy going , good with sailing and likes the occasional beer and doesnt smoke female already needing company......lol
Unless you are into sleeping with grandmothers, IMHO you will be sailing solo. It is highly unlikely (not impossible, but highly unlikely) that will find such a young female in your home country. You can find such young females in other countries but the bureaucratic b.s. of taking them with you makes it also unlikely. It's a lot easier to have a lady in each port than having one lady to take to many ports.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:29   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Excellent

If over the next 8 months before the off you have to work double shifts serving Big Macs or pumping petrol then do so. It will give you a slush fund to get you going and whilst the jobs might be awful they are only temporary as you have set yourself a target date to go. Chose the departure carefully, to avoid the hurricane season and just go.

Peru sounds good and how about Chile for an adventure?

When you find an interesting boat feel free to ask the forums advice, someone will have owned one before and they invariably give the truth not what the seller or broker wants you to hear. Final thought, keep to the KISS approach (keep it simple) eg, watermaker? hell no, use 20 litre plastic jerry cans etc.

BTW, 75% of the forum are probably wishing they were in your shoes instead of paying mortgages and household bills. The other 25% like Zeehag? well they are out there doing it. Now if you will excuse me I need to go and pay my car tax

Pete
lmao thx Pete u do know to make me get my day started with a smile..

And Osirissail .... I dont believe the woman i described actually exist and if she does she's already married im sure... But i do like me some older ladies...hehe
Old 03-09-2011, 05:35   #27

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Collect current charts for everywhere you are going or might go. get yourself a backup hand-held gps. don't ever put your boat anywhere that your mind has not already been (study your charts before you go places). come up with a budget for boat repair$ and then double it. best of luck to you, i hope you are successful and have a blast!
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:07   #28

Dont really have alot of a plan of where exactly to go but im thinkn alil of everywhere
Old 05-09-2011, 04:24   #29
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Here's some reading on BOAT ANGEL!
Boat Angel - SailNet Community

Yes, you are crazy, but then again so are most here. Birds of a feather tend to flock together. Who in their right mind will subject themselves to weather as we do to see what's over the horizon, or in that cove? It takes a special spirit to do what we do, and enjoy the agony that comes with it. The rewards are extreme, and single-handing is one of them.

As far as finding a lady. I had plenty of disapointments with relationships. They loved the idea of a sailboat, but not the reality. Then I met a mountain climber. I figured if she was willing to carry her clothes, kitchen, food, and water to sleep under the stars. It just might be possible it works. She's still here after nearly 20,000 miles, and nearly 9 years through thick & thin.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:42   #30
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Okay, So Am I Completely Crazy . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Here's some reading on BOAT ANGEL!
Boat Angel - SailNet Community

Yes, you are crazy, but then again so are most here. Birds of a feather tend to flock together. Who in their right mind will subject themselves to weather as we do to see what's over the horizon, or in that cove? It takes a special spirit to do what we do, and enjoy the agony that comes with it. The rewards are extreme, and single-handing is one of them.

As far as finding a lady. I had plenty of disapointments with relationships. They loved the idea of a sailboat, but not the reality. Then I met a mountain climber. I figured if she was willing to carry her clothes, kitchen, food, and water to sleep under the stars. It just might be possible it works. She's still here after nearly 20,000 miles, and nearly 9 years through thick & thin.......i2f
Thanks for the message of hope...
and for the pointers...
Gorra go find a climbing/hiking site....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote