Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2019, 08:20   #1

O'Day 30, sailing around Long Key FL

I'm a fresh water sailor, so, only sailed Keywest a couple of times and very inexperienced regarding saltwater.

I've been looking for a marina to keep my boat, and have found a couple so far, one is on long key.

Wondering how this area is for sailing? I plan to take short sails, possibly anchoring for a swim or snorkle, or lobster hunting, or fishing.. for a while, and gradually increase my distance as my experience grows.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

smitrock63
smitrock63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 08:26   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: O'Day 30, sailing around Long Key FL

Welcome to the forum.

The difference is that salt water sailing means steady winds, and can mean much worse weather, but you know how to look at a weather map. Really, most of us wish we had your knock-about sailing opportunity. Have a ball!
Old 26-06-2019, 08:37   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Are you asking about Sea Bird Marina?

If so, the Florida bay side is shallow, so if you are shallow draft, not much of a problem. Also if you want to cross to the Atlantic side you can go under channel 5 bridge, which is not far away.

However, if you need anything, groceries and such, you would need to drive down to Marathon, or up to Islamorada. Both are about twenty minutes away.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 10:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
Are you asking about Sea Bird Marina?

If so, the Florida bay side is shallow, so if you are shallow draft, not much of a problem. Also if you want to cross to the Atlantic side you can go under channel 5 bridge, which is not far away.

However, if you need anything, groceries and such, you would need to drive down to Marathon, or up to Islamorada. Both are about twenty minutes away.
Draft is 3' 6"; it's a O'Day 30 with a shoal keel.

Very good information. I know I took my 17' O'day DS 2 down to Keywest a couple of years ago and sailed her out of Boyds campground on Stock Island. I think most thought I was nuts, but with a retractable CB I had no problems really, yet, I did learn that the maps are only as good as the last storm as many areas of shoaling proved the maps incorrect.
Old 27-06-2019, 12:42   #5

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Do you go by Smitty? You should have a great time - the storm shoaling is probably the biggest thing to be aware of. When I was there, it was somewhat common to have thunderstorms roll in during the afternoon, so be aware of what rig you have up if it starts getting dark off in the horizon. Sometimes it's a literal wall of high wind charging across a calm surface, and waves quickly building if you have a long way to go. It will be a great time - as you know, the water clarity you see, after coming from freshwater, is amazing. I love that name BTW, Smitty. Old salt's name.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 10:33   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
Do you go by Smitty? You should have a great time - the storm shoaling is probably the biggest thing to be aware of. When I was there, it was somewhat common to have thunderstorms roll in during the afternoon, so be aware of what rig you have up if it starts getting dark off in the horizon. Sometimes it's a literal wall of high wind charging across a calm surface, and waves quickly building if you have a long way to go. It will be a great time - as you know, the water clarity you see, after coming from freshwater, is amazing. I love that name BTW, Smitty. Old salt's name.

I do go by Smitty... haaa. I agree weather is such a factor, yet, I'm so inexperienced I can only use other's warnings about the seriousness of it all. I'll be careful as I can.!

Tags
sail, sailing