Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2018, 01:12   #1

Newbie question

I just had a simple question can you pilot and sailboat from a nav station. ? it looks like the sailboats I'm looking at online to buy . have outdoor Helms and a nav station indoors, but can you pilot the boat from the nav indoor station to stay out of the weather ?

For example the oyster 80 . I was looking at on line. Has a line of sight out the window from the nav station and I believe there's an autopilot there but is that just use for small adjustments? Or am I going to have to find a boat to buy that does have a indoor full station ??
Braavos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:07   #2

Boat: Leopard 39
Re: Newbie question

Welcome to the Forum. When under way, you must maintain an adequate watch to avoid collision at sea. Most sailboats have blind spots with sails raised, to even a pilot at the helm. I would not personally be comfortable that gazing out a window or two from the nav station would constitute an adequate watch, especially in the sort of weather that might make you want to be below. You would also lose the ability to observe sail trim and the "feel" of the vessel under way, and to react to gusting winds or changing sea conditions. On my boat, with sails raised, I have a blind spot forward on the port side, and prudence dictates that I occasionally leave the helm station and lay forward to have a look see. Even motoring, I've never been aboard a sailboat that I would be comfortable piloting from below; they're just too low on the water, not all vessels move as slowly as we do, and the ports do not afford a 360 degree view. With today's technology, an autopilot, and a cell phone, you certainly can pilot any sailboat from a nav station. The question is, SHOULD you?
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:15   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
When under way, you must maintain an adequate watch to avoid collision at sea. Most sailboats have blind spots with sails raised, to even a pilot at the helm. I would not personally be comfortable that gazing out a window or two from the nav station would constitute an adequate watch, especially in the sort of weather that might make you want to be below. You would also lose the ability to observe sail trim and the "feel" of the vessel under way, and to react to gusting winds or changing sea conditions. On my boat, with sails raised, I have a blind spot forward on the port side, and prudence dictates that I occasionally leave the helm station and lay forward to have a look see. Even motoring, I've never been aboard a sailboat that I would be comfortable piloting from below; they're just too low on the water, and the ports do not afford a 360 degree view. With today's technology, an autopilot, and a cell phone, you certainly can pilot any sailboat from a nav station. The question is, SHOULD you?
Thank you. ... You made some good points . .
Braavos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:47   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bravos.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote