Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2016, 12:25   #1

Boat: Catalina 27
Newbie! Hello, and I have questions!

Hi all!

Greetings from the Saginaw Bay area in Michigan! I am in the process (after tons of research and some really good luck) of purchasing my first boat, a gorgeous 1976 Catalina 27. I've had the sailing bug for a long time, so this is very exciting to make the first jump into boat ownership!

My boat currently lives in Holland, MI, and I live near Saginaw, on the other side of the state. The most cost effective method I've come up with to get her home is to sail her from her current port to Bay City. This leads to my questions:

1) I'm not a very experienced sailor at all, having only sailed a couple times on afternoon charters, so how long would a venture like this take? Using activeCaptain, I've put a rough course together, and it looks like it would take a couple hundred nm. Seems like a long way! But, I do not have $1,400-1,800 extra to hire a trucking firm to tow it across the state by land.

2) Also, non-experience leads me to not being stupid enough to do this myself. I'd probably need to find an experienced skipper to go with me. How do I do this?

3) The boat is in excellent shape, well maintained, and has been sailing all summer, so the equipment is in good order, but what would I need for a trip like that?

I figure this delivery cruise would be a crash course in longer cruising for me, and a way to see my state like I haven't before. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!
Drewski1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 12:29   #2

Boat: TBD
Re: Newbie! Hello, and I have questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski1138 View Post
Hi all!

I figure this delivery cruise would be a crash course in longer cruising for me, and a way to see my state like I haven't before. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!
I have very little experience sailing but if it were me, I would hire a captain to help me.

Sounds like fun. Good luck!
m2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 12:40   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2244 View Post
I have very little experience sailing but if it were me, I would hire a captain to help me.

Sounds like fun. Good luck!
Ha, yeah. I've considered that option, but I have no idea how much it would cost. I might have to have a fundraiser like the Norwegians and their viking ship! Pilotage fees for them were something outrageous like $400 an hour.
Old 22-07-2016, 12:45   #4

Boat: TBD

Quote:
Ha, yeah. I've considered that option, but I have no idea how much it would cost. I might have to have a fundraiser like the Norwegians and their viking ship! Pilotage fees for them were something outrageous like $400 an hour.
Read through the Crew Positions under Classifieds on this site to get an idea.

Wish i was in your, well... boat. My boat buying days are at least a year or two down the road.
m2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 12:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2244 View Post
Read through the Crew Positions under Classifieds on this site to get an idea.

Wish i was in your, well... boat. My boat buying days are at least a year or two down the road.
Thanks for the suggestion! And hey, don't let your dreams be dreams! A few days ago, I was thinking the same as you. "Ah, I'll just take the class coming up next month, join the club, use their boats, and maybe a year or two later..."

If you want a boat, check Craigslist in your area every day, religiously. That's how I stumbled on a couple selling their boat for a song because they have to move for work in a couple months. Never know what you might find out there!
Old 22-07-2016, 12:53   #6

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
2) Also, non-experience leads me to not being stupid enough to do this myself. I'd probably need to find an experienced skipper to go with me. How do I do this?

3) The boat is in excellent shape, well maintained, and has been sailing all summer, so the equipment is in good order, but what would I need for a trip like that?

Have you not got a sailing mate or two that can help you? If not then put a notice up at the local boat club. There’ll be experienced people only too willing to help you both as skipper and crew. Just make sure you check them out before accepting their offer. You’d be best to put up the travel costs to or from the boat (presumably by car), plus food for the trip.

It will be great fun and you’ll gain much confidence. It’s only a 2 day trip. Maybe there’s somewhere more or less half way where you can anchor for the night? Sounds like you’d feel happier sailing during the day.

I'd also encourage you to join a yacht club and make some friends that sail. It's a great way to gain the benefit of others' experiences and also participating in club events gets your own skills up.
Old 22-07-2016, 13:02   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Have you not got a sailing mate or two that can help you? If not then put a notice up at the local boat club. There’ll be experienced people only too willing to help you both as skipper and crew. Just make sure you check them out before accepting their offer. You’d be best to put up the travel costs to or from the boat (presumably by car), plus food for the trip.
Funny thing, that. I'm the first person in my family and entire circle of friends to show an interest in sailing. Heck, I even thought it was completely out of reach financially till I read the "Free Boat" series of articles, then saw the prices for older boats. So, I don't really have any sailing friends....yet! I imagine I will make quite a few along the way though!

I've PM'ed back and forth a couple times with a local sailing guy through the sailing subreddit. I might give him a holler to see if he knows someone, and I'll post something in the Crew Wanted section too. Thanks for turning me on to that, guys!
Old 22-07-2016, 13:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
It will be great fun and you’ll gain much confidence. It’s only a 2 day trip. Maybe there’s somewhere more or less half way where you can anchor for the night? Sounds like you’d feel happier sailing during the day.
One more question. You said this is a 2 day trip? Do you mean that 2 full-24 hour periods of sailing, or 2 average, sunup-sundown sailing days? I'm curious because most routes I've measured were around 400nm from Holland, on Lake MI, to Bay City, on Lake Huron. That seems to be quite the good speed to make in order to hit those numbers.
Old 22-07-2016, 15:59   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
One more question. You said this is a 2 day trip? Do you mean that 2 full-24 hour periods of sailing, or 2 average, sunup-sundown sailing days? I'm curious because most routes I've measured were around 400nm from Holland, on Lake MI, to Bay City, on Lake Huron. That seems to be quite the good speed to make in order to hit those numbers.
Yep, looks to be about 400NM to me. In a 27ft boat, if you are day sailing, I'd allow up to 10 days to do that. If you are planning to sail overnight, I'd still allow 4 days. (And with a route like that, I'd be very cautious about night sailing in some parts).
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 16:29   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Yep, looks to be about 400NM to me. In a 27ft boat, if you are day sailing, I'd allow up to 10 days to do that. If you are planning to sail overnight, I'd still allow 4 days. (And with a route like that, I'd be very cautious about night sailing in some parts).
I get closer to 500 nm, unless there's a secret canal shortcut across the middle of the state and yes, at least 10 days in a 27' boat sailing days only.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 16:48   #11

Hmmmm, well this makes things a tad more interesting. I will have to do my homework on the feasibility of that trip for me. I wonder where people got "2 days" from....
Old 22-07-2016, 18:05   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Hmmmm, well this makes things a tad more interesting. I will have to do my homework on the feasibility of that trip for me. I wonder where people got "2 days" from....
The 2 days estimate probably came from your initial post where you said, "it looks like it would take a couple hundred nm." If you sailed it straight through in good conditions you could do that in 2 days or a bit more.

A couple of questions. What's the power? Outboard or inboard? If inboard gas or diesel?

Have any navigation skills? Does the boat have any electronics like a GPS, depth sounder, VHF radio?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 18:58   #13

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

200 miles per day? I want that Cat 27 too! I like the idea of asking around the local yacht club or sailing club for 2 or 3 folks to join you, or perhaps you have a sailing friend, who might like to make the trip too. I have done that twice (in CA) and it worked out fine. Ask 4 or 5 and then more likely 2 or 3 will actually follow through. I'd give it at least a week, 10 days a better bet to be safe, if you are confident you'll have reliable winds and/or enough fuel (and access to it along the way) and reliable engine to cover it. Check engine, change oil before leaving. Get a BoatUS membership so you can call the AAA of the sea to help out with a tow if you need it. Pack the boat with all the most expensive food types your crew likes, but not much alcohol. Save that for when you get there.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 09:57   #14

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

If you don't have $1400 to hire a trucker, how are you going to hire a captain for 10 days or so? Sounds like you will have to depend on volunteers and unless you know them (and even if you do) that is not a low risk strategy. Is there any chance of working out a delivery deal with the seller? May he would captain for you?
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 10:01   #15

Boat: Hunter 26.5 (for now <grin>)

Drewski1138,

I was in the same situation as you. New to sailing (though at least for me I do have some power boat experience under my belt), bought the perfect boat (for me) nearly 200 mn away from where I live - it's 250 my door to the marina..

I took the ASA 101 course and did a lot of driving between Corpus and Houston.. It was nice though as I could spend the weekend on the boat.. Then one of the gentlemen at the marina in Port Aransas offered to help me sail the boat to Port A, where I wanted to keep it.. He has a lot of sailing experience and singlehands a 56' Oyster, a very nice boat by the way..

Anyway, it was an event filled trip and took 3 days, mostly by the 9.8 hp outboard motor since there was no wind in the Gulf of Mexico. I gained lots of experience and loved every minute..

Anyway, I see some posted if you have a motor.. I would rate this requirement very high on the list of stuff needed if you were to plan sailing the boat with help..

Good luck and let us know how it goes.. flk k
liveaboard60 is offline   Reply With Quote