Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2017, 08:38   #1

New yacht

Hello Forum, we are pretty new to sailing and are considering buying a Oceanis 41.1 or Hanse 418 this would be for predominantly cruising in the med.
Has anyone got any comments on any of these 2 yachts

Many thanks
Lee
Shanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 08:44   #2

Re: New yacht

Hi Lee,

I would just say unless a brand new boat is an absolute must, you will save a ton of money in the long run by buying a used boat - even something just 2-3 years old as they depreciate rapidly.
Old 22-10-2017, 03:18   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
Hi Lee,

I would just say unless a brand new boat is an absolute must, you will save a ton of money in the long run by buying a used boat - even something just 2-3 years old as they depreciate rapidly.
Thanks so much for your suggestion.
We planning to spend 2 months a year inbetween Croatia and the med .
We wanted to customise the yacht to have aircon and 2 heads ; etc .Greece in August is incredibly hot.
Just wansnt sure about the choice between the new Hanse 418 with 55hp motor or Benettau 41.1
On board will be Shan and Lee with friends and family joining from time to time.
Once again thank you and any advice is appreciated as we see ourselves as novices.

Lee
Old 22-10-2017, 03:39   #4

I've chartered the 41.1 and the 415 (which I think the 418 replaces).

Not much to choose between them, both nice boats for the med. Good size.

Neither boat has a traveler, which I miss. The Oceanis has an arch, but the main is attached at the central point. The Hanse has what some call the German mainsheet system of two blocks on the coach roof. I dislike this setup too, but at least you can mess with it to move the boom on or off the wind whilst still maintaining downward tension. And its sort of its own crash gybe preventer when sailing downwind. I find the setup needs too much messing with though, prefer a traveler, but that's just me.

Boats like this a ten a penny in the med (comparatively speaking) the only reason I can see for buying new is if you want a two cabin layout, as most of the used ex charter boats for sale will have three cabins.

Either boat will be a comfortable place to spend a couple of months in the med sun, buy whichever you like the look of more I guess. There's many other similar boats too.
Kristoff21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 03:50   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristoff21 View Post

Neither boat has a traveler, which I miss. The Oceanis has an arch, but the main is attached at the central point. The Hanse has what some call the German mainsheet system of two blocks on the coach roof. I dislike this setup too, but at least you can mess with it to move the boom on or off the wind whilst still maintaining downward tension. And its sort of its own crash gybe preventer when sailing downwind. I find the setup needs too much messing with though, prefer a traveler, but that's just me.

Boats like this a ten a penny in the med (comparatively speaking) the only reason I can see for buying new is if you want a two cabin layout, as most of the used ex charter boats for sale will have three cabins.

Either boat will be a comfortable place to spend a couple of months in the med sun, buy whichever you like the look of more I guess. There's many other similar boats too.
Thank you Kristoff.
My crazy brother in law wants me to take a yacht and do the ARC crossing in 2019.
Do you think both your suggestions ie 41.1 or Hanse 418 are good enough to do this Atlantic crossing
Lee
Old 22-10-2017, 04:15   #6

Having never crossed an ocean in a sailboat myself, I'm not in a position to answer that. In factory supplied trim those boats are really designed for bobbing around the med and coastal hops.

But do people cross the Atlantic in 40ft French/German production cruisers? Of course, all the time.

If you are serious about the ARC you'll probably want to make amendments to charging systems, tankage, sailplan options, refrigeration, self steering, navigation and comms, etc etc... but that's a whole other ballgame.
Kristoff21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 08:20   #7

Quote:
Having never crossed an ocean in a sailboat myself, I'm not in a position to answer that. In factory supplied trim those boats are really designed for bobbing around the med and coastal hops.

But do people cross the Atlantic in 40ft French/German production cruisers? Of course, all the time.

If you are serious about the ARC you'll probably want to make amendments to charging systems, tankage, sailplan options, refrigeration, self steering, navigation and comms, etc etc... but that's a whole other ballgame.
Thanks Kristoff sounds like fun. We will start with bobbing around the med first.
Greetings from a sunny Cape town
Old 22-10-2017, 16:14   #8

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:

The Hanse 415 and the 418 have the same hull, the 418 is a mkII.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 02:48   #9

Thank you.

Tags
yacht