Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-09-2016, 12:00   #1

New Owner Help

Hey,

So I recently bought a 1968 31' Seafarer (first boat) in Sausalito California, and I think it may have been a mistake.

I had been looking at buying my first sailboat 2 years ago, in the price range of 10-15k... Something for live aboard and learning to sail. I recently traveled the US by car and stopped when I found a job working/living on a 56' custom in Sausalito. As I got to know a lot of boat people and thought it would be a good time to consider buying my first boat again with those resources. This time however I looked for something in the range of 3-5k for live aboard, limiting my choices to much less liveaboard-worthy boats.

Unfortunately, in my rush to find a place to sleep and cook as opposed to living in my car, I jumped at a real project. I'm in over my head and am looking for any advice you could offer. Have any of you made a similar move or found yourself with too much to handle in boat buying?

Doesn't help that the tranny just went up in my car and I'm strapped for cash.

Old 17-09-2016, 13:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: New Owner Help

Sell it.

Or else, go to where the boat is, find a job, live aboard.

Do not get discouraged with what life is throwing at you. You do not have to make the perfect decisions each and every day.

Good luck!
b.

Old 17-09-2016, 13:08   #3
SFS

Boat: Hunter 31

If you have a job, the car is important to get to work. I don't know if this is still true, but years ago Firestone car repair centers had credit cards. Could you put the car repair on a card? Store-specific cards like Macys, Penneys, Firestone etc. are often easier to get than Visa cards.

On the other hand, if you have a reasonable public transportation system to get to work, maybe you can do without the car for a bit.

Third option might be to barter for the repair. Sailboat rides are worth something.
Old 18-09-2016, 05:29   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Krillsplash.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 12:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Sell it.

Or else, go to where the boat is, find a job, live aboard.

Do not get discouraged with what life is throwing at you. You do not have to make the perfect decisions each and every day.

Good luck!
b.
Thanks for this, Barnakiel. I'm trying to meet with the owner again to see if we can work something out. Otherwise, I'm going to have to find a way to get rid of it. Either way, your comment helped me mellow out quite a bit. This is my first time really being out on my own and I've put myself in a tough spot, but you're right. I'm just trying to think positive.
Old 18-09-2016, 12:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFS View Post
If you have a job, the car is important to get to work. I don't know if this is still true, but years ago Firestone car repair centers had credit cards. Could you put the car repair on a card? Store-specific cards like Macys, Penneys, Firestone etc. are often easier to get than Visa cards.

On the other hand, if you have a reasonable public transportation system to get to work, maybe you can do without the car for a bit.

Third option might be to barter for the repair. Sailboat rides are worth something.
I'm taking the car into the dealership tomorrow morning. The transmission is failing, but I have a 100,000 mile warranty on the gear box in it (80k on my ODO so far). I'm hoping that the warranty will cover the issue, but if not I will be doing some research on tranny experts in the area and I'll definitely look into that credit card option. Otherwise, I'll have to trade it in and use that cash to buy a new (used) car.

As for the boat, I simply didn't know what to look for and was foolish not to do my research. It wasn't until I lived on it for a day that I realized that it's infested with spiders, the glass in the ports falls out if I tap it, it's absolutely filthy (this I've taken care of so far), it's filled with junk and there are small holes (drilled) in the hull that need patching before the rainy season hits soon. These things are on top of the issues I was aware of, such as a new electrical panel needing to be installed (all parts included with the buy) and a motor that doesn't run. I figured I could live on it without the electrical and motor, and it would give me a place to sleep and cook to save money. Unfortunately, as I see it, the boat isn't habitable.

So, I am working out some ideas to fix these issues. First, however, I'm going to speak to the previous owner and see if we can work something out, because he's a friend of mine. If I'm stuck with the boat, I will place it on Craigslist. Then I'll start sealing the windows, patching the holes, try to dwindle those spiders and start working on the electrical panel assembly. I have another friend who offered to help me with the motor; looks like the manifold just needs a cleaning.

I am also looking for a job in the area where I can recoop my losses and stay afloat while I work this out. All a part of the adventure! Being 27 and on my own for the first time, I guess it was only a matter of time before I made a whopper of a mistake. Certainly learning a lot from it.
Old 18-09-2016, 17:07   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krillsplash View Post
Thanks for this, Barnakiel. I'm trying to meet with the owner again to see if we can work something out. Otherwise, I'm going to have to find a way to get rid of it. Either way, your comment helped me mellow out quite a bit. This is my first time really being out on my own and I've put myself in a tough spot, but you're right. I'm just trying to think positive.
If you are healthy and have options, you should definitely think positive.

I stopped counting the things I bought only to sell them later, at a loss.

The rest of them I either used up, lost or gave away.

If something serves you, keep it. If something makes you a servant, get rid of it.

We have been living in our boat for nearly 15 years now. The boat is 26' long and 9' wide. Formally I am unemployed. This is my world.

If I were to keep a boat I cannot live on or sail, I would immediately sell it. Pocket the cash, Buy another boat one day when life takes another turn. It does.

Welcome to the club.

Cheers,
b.
Old 18-09-2016, 17:20   #8

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Sell it...
This.

Then really use your head for your next move.

Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: