Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-11-2017, 16:20   #1
set

New member says Hey!

Hello! My name is Susan. I've been a sailor since I got hooked at age 10. My husband and I have a 22' Reinell sailboat we've been sailing since '01. After 25 years in one house, we are planning to transition to a (bigger boat) live aboard by next summer. We have sailed in Puget Sound, San Juan Islands and into Canada. Looking forward to making connections with other sailors and learning how to be a better sailor!

Old 13-11-2017, 19:17   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: New member says Hey!

Hey back to you, Susan. Are you still on the west coast? All the best on your plans! I'm in the San Francisco Bay area and sail/live on a Freedom 38. I'm excited for you and will keep an eye out for your posts to hear more

Old 13-11-2017, 22:25   #3

G'day from Australia

We currently live aboard our 30ft searay.... Even the dog loves it.
Old 13-11-2017, 22:55   #4
set

Hi Mickt243,
My tiny dog loves the boat too! Where in Australia do you live? I was there for 4 weeks in '01 and had an amazing time. My 2 favorite places were Magnetic Island and Broome.

Hi Garayun
Yes, currently we live just north of Seattle. Looking forward to being on a boat full time. I like the Freedoms, do you have any good suggestions of things to think about when buying a liveaboard?

Susan
Old 13-11-2017, 23:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by set View Post
Hi Mickt243,
My tiny dog loves the boat too! Where in Australia do you live? I was there for 4 weeks in '01 and had an amazing time. My 2 favorite places were Magnetic Island and Broome.

Hi Garayun
Yes, currently we live just north of Seattle. Looking forward to being on a boat full time. I like the Freedoms, do you have any good suggestions of things to think about when buying a liveaboard?

Susan
Near Newcastle in New South Wales - good boating weather all year, no cyclones, no ice.......

Oh, and as for what to look for in a live aboard.... Big enough to live on, but not too big to handle solo, for us that means in the 30-40 foot range, but small enough to be able to afford year round running expenses (in this regard, smaller is better), but big enough that any expected weather isn't a problem, and can make passage out of our little bay whenever we get the notion (in this regard bigger is better)

We actually bought ours just as a weekender, but one thing lead to another and now we live on and will probably do so for at least the next 6 months...

Must haves:

Bed big enough to be comfortable
Flushing toilet with holding tank (although I'm in a no discharge zone, I wouldn't discharge anywhere I anchor - don't crap where you sleep/swim/eat)
Enough galley storage/fridge space to not have to shop every day, and not need to live on takeaway)
Hot water system that's useable away from the dock.
Flexible electrical system, so you can do whatever you need away from dock (eg, inverter, large battery bank, solar panel, wind gen)
Enough range to go places - less of an issue with sail, but we are a power boat, again, don't want to be forced to stay in one place forever, need ability to wander.
Enough water tankage, or a water maker - again for use away from dock.

Everything else becomes "nice to have" rather than "must have"

We have a storage unit down the street from the marina, if something isn't in use, it's not on the boat.
Old 13-11-2017, 23:56   #6

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by set View Post
I like the Freedoms, do you have any good suggestions of things to think about when buying a liveaboard?
Make sure it has a comfortable bed and it stays dry inside when it rains. I'm kinda kidding; yet, not. There are just so many things to choose from and many things that might drive you and your hubby crazy that wouldn't bother me. The main reasons for buying my boat was easy to sail and I wanted to race it as well as go cruising on it. The most important aspect was a platform where I could easily get gear on and off when I scuba dive. Everything else was secondary although I decided on the Freedom 38 with the sugar scoop instead of the 32 version because of the cabinet space and knowing that I would eventually want to live aboard. Everyone's criteria are going to be different. For some reason, there were lots of Freedoms in the Seattle/Vancouver area. You might want to check them out. They're very roomy for their size.
Old 14-11-2017, 03:29   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Susan.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 09:56   #8

Boat: Seaward 25, Beneteau 40

Hi and welcome aboard,

Our boat, a Beneteau 40, is currently on the hard in Anacortes. We will be launching in May and heading off to Juneau after spending a week or two getting things ship shape. Look for Eos in Cap Sante Marina starting around May 15 or so.

Doug and Katie
Old 14-11-2017, 10:37   #9

Boat: Hunter 38

Welcome to the CF Susan.

The PNW is a great place to cruise in. I'm at the northern end of the Strait of Georgia - a bit cooler and more mountainous than where you are, but still the same great body of water. Desolation Sound is magnificent and our favorite area. We don't live aboard but have been transitioning to longer cruises since the Admiral's recent retirement. This time of year it's dreaming about next season while the rain is coming "down" sideways.

Get yourself familiar with the Salish Sea currents. They're surprisingly strong in many places, especially up here, and can dramatically affect your SOG.

Enjoy your cruising
Old 14-11-2017, 14:38   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 54 DS

Welcome aboard, Susan. Whichever boat you decide on, get a reputable surveyor to look at the boat and the rigging so you know what problems you are about to own.
Old 14-11-2017, 16:37   #11

Boat: Moody 54

Welcome!
We are on year three as liveaboards. Love it!
When looking for a boat to live on, think of the things you do everyday, and also think of the things you require when you sail. We went for a comfortable outdoor area and nice salon in a boat With lots of sailing potential.
Again, welcome!
Old 14-11-2017, 20:00   #12

Boat: 36ft classic timber sloop.

Welcome to CF, again from Oz'tralia.
Best wishes and encouragement. You will find that almost everyone here tries to be helpful. Clearly individual dreams, views and experience will differ, however the spirit is generally very good and constructive. You will no-doubt work out your own views and dreams also. Happy sailing. A.
Old 14-11-2017, 21:06   #13

Welcome to CF Susan!
I live in Edmonds and currently keep Amore in Kingston. Been sailing PS/SJs/GIs for 8 years.
I bought Amore, a 35 ft Beneteau late August. Send me a message and I would be happy to share my experiences with you.

Tags
member, new member

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: