Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2011, 07:32   #1

Boat: Lagoon 410, 41 ft
Lightbulb New Catamaran Captain In Need of Help

One day, ready to leave dock for the first time, with his two daughters, Paskalie 18 and Noémie 12, the capt, walked around his cat for 1.5 hrs, undoing one rope at the time, looking everwhere if people were watching, getting ready to launch, planning his method, over and over in his head, but without any catamaran experience he decided to do what he thought was right. Just as he was to take off, the capt. of the next dock, Palaran, car to see if he needed help, and gladly the capt. said yes. He gave him a crash course on how to leave dock with a cat. Like riding a bicycle, it is easy, but when you have never done it..... Just would like to say thanks to Palaran, for without him I think I would be hauled out with some fiberglass job getting done on the back of the keels. Thanks for taking some time in helping me with getting out of dock. Gee, who would of known, leaving a port dock, you actually have to stear INTO the port dock???? But it worked out perfectly.
raphaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 23:59   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Re: New Catamaran Captain In Need of Help

Good Post - Good to hear of a sympathetic and helpful fellow sailor helping you out.

What you really want to do now is a few - and I mean, quite a few, "circuits and bumps" on a reasonably clear dock, until you've got it in your brain, instinctively, what the boat will do for you. Work with the wind, its your friend; as is the current and the two combined can make you look like a super-star (or not - if you get it wrong).

They're easy to sail - its the "parking" and "unparking" that always causes the problems!! Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 05:34   #3
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: New Catamaran Captain In Need of Help

No problem Raphaella. It was nice to meet you and I hope you have made it to Grenada ok.

I had to have a spot on my stern fixed because I didn't get it when I bought Palarran. It's still a tough maneuver for me to back into my berth due to the windage but as bvimatelot points out, it's all about practice.

Have a nice cruise and if your in come back to the Leewards, let me know.

Tags
catamaran, captain